PDA

View Full Version : FEEE and public liability insurance

littleDs31
14-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Mohave the LA coming to visit to start the 2 yr funding process with me. They have just rang to say I have to increase my Public Liability insurance which will cost me! Has this happened to anyone else? Why does it need robe increased?

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 04:17 PM
In what way do they expect you to increase your PLI?

littleDs31
14-01-2014, 04:18 PM
They said it needs increasing to £10million and PACEY are aware of this as they have had to do it for others.

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Wow what do Pacey charge to increase the level of cover if you don't mind my asking. I hope you LA fund this extra cost especially if the hourly rate they pay you is less than your normal rate.

I would be livid to be asked this and would refuse to do the 2yr funded places on the grounds that I have cared for 2 yr olds for 20 years and my Insurance cover has always been perfectly acceptable to Ofsted all the time they have been responsible for me so why is it any different for these 2 year olds?

littleDs31
14-01-2014, 04:31 PM
She said it would cost me £93 so it would sound as though PACEY have done this before. She didn't mention them paying for even though it's their requirement and I was completely gobsmacked when she said it that I didn't ask anything about it. Throughput all the conversations regarding this funding no one has ever mentioned this. It is really making me have second thoughts about it.

loocyloo
14-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I would phone your pli supplier yourself and ask if you are covered for funded 2 yr olds.
I am insured through pacey and have had funded 2 yr olds for the past 2 yrs. I have not had to increase my pli. Sounds like LA not knowing/confusing you with a school or something!

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 06:07 PM
I would want written confirmation that the standard Pacey PLI was insufficient and why and that they would pay the extra cost if they require it. Some people are so cheeky and I bet the woman who told you it was required has no idea why it really annoys me when I hear things like this.

Does anyone know if 10 million is the Standard PLI cover that all Nurseries and Pre Schools have?

sarah707
14-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Some LAs have introduced this requirement as part of accepting 2 year funded children ...

The reason is that many of the children come from risky families and a risk assessment has shown the Las that, based on previous information from those providers who did the funded trials, childminders may need the extra cover - especially as we work on our own and are more likely to be on the receiving end of complaints / safeguarding issues.

Sad but true :( I have known about this for some time. Simona's thread has some of the background detail here - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/pacey-formerly-ncma-scma/122589-pli-level-cover-pacey.html

Both Morton Michel and Pacey insurers offer the higher level of cover. I don't know about the cost.

Hth :D

Simona
14-01-2014, 08:22 PM
We have had this discussion before a few months ago...both PLA and PACEY are aware that some LAs are putting this extra conditions on CMs
I also told my LA who said they did not require it.
I don't think it is worth just going on about this ...please report it to you association and let them sort it

LAs are stupid and reckless to do this...as if they don't have enough trouble finding spaces for 2 year olds already...doing this will put more Cms off the idea of drawing their pitiful funding after all!

FloraDora
14-01-2014, 09:06 PM
We have had this discussion before a few months ago...both PLA and PACEY are aware that some LAs are putting this extra conditions on CMs
I also told my LA who said they did not require it.
I don't think it is worth just going on about this ...please report it to you association and let them sort it

LAs are stupid and reckless to do this...as if they don't have enough trouble finding spaces for 2 year olds already...doing this will put more Cms off the idea of drawing their pitiful funding after all!

Another cynical thought.... Is this to ensure that only schools ( who have minimum £10 million) get the 2 year old places??? They are finding another way to squeeze out the Independent childminder?

Having worked with families in an area of deprivation, high pupil premium etc.. I am aware that some of the families do need specific support, this extra insurance cover hints at some problems that may have to be overcome by the childminder, are the government also going to provide training in counselling, the law, working with social services and mental illnesses, dependency issues etc.?...if we ask for this, will this fuel the argument of having 2 year olds in school where someone will be trained in these areas? ??????

Simona
14-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Another cynical thought.... Is this to ensure that only schools ( who have minimum £10 million) get the 2 year old places??? They are finding another way to squeeze out the Independent childminder?

Having worked with families in an area of deprivation, high pupil premium etc.. I am aware that some of the families do need specific support, this extra insurance cover hints at some problems that may have to be overcome by the childminder, are the government also going to provide training in counselling, the law, working with social services and mental illnesses, dependency issues etc.?...if we ask for this, will this fuel the argument of having 2 year olds in school where someone will be trained in these areas? ??????

Nothing would surprise me but am I wrong in saying the current 2 year olds are from families below an income of £16,190?
so would the fact they are from low income families mean they are trouble and we need double insurance?
I know they have now included SEN children and another category that escapes me now...it makes no sense
This will drive these children into schools and schools are hardly ready for them and possibly not well trained hence the fact £2500 of the grant can be used for training staff

There was an interesting discussion on twitter tonight with a high quality nursery being visited by schools asking for advice on how to care for 2 year olds!!!

When Truss opened the funding for CMs it was welcome and she insisted LAs have no right to impose extra conditions...well LAs are still doing so and Truss does nothing about it...maybe I will make a note to ask the DfE next week when they co-host the session on twitter...Truss is bound to be reading the tweets!

I wonder what the associations will come back with if it is reported to them...feedback would be useful