PDA

View Full Version : juice or water

julie w
14-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a policy that I only give milk or water to pre school children. Once the children start school I ask parents to fill a permission slip for them to have squash..or not. I have been on various healthy eating courses and passed because I said I do not give squash (and other things) and it has not been a problem. I have a 3 year old that will only drink squash. I explained to parents my policy and they said they agree, water or milk is better.However Mindee comes with a beaker full of strong ribena every day. If I tip it away she will not drink a thing all day. When mum comes she starts crying that she needs juice. Mum has started coming with a bottle of pop/juice for her at hometime and says to her 'I know you want juice, but Julie says no, so Ive brought you some'. The children have their own drinks bottles which I ensure always have fresh water in all day, but I dont feel its fair that I should give one juice/sqush and the others water. It is against my policy, but its obviously not good for her to go without a drink all day. What would you suggest? Thank you.

loocyloo
14-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Can you take the juice mum sends and slowly slowly slowly dilute it until child is drinking water?

I too only offer milk or water b... But for all mindees. I don't have squash in the house, and rarely juice.

Koala
14-01-2014, 01:47 PM
I'd suggest mum stops giving juice, your on to a loosing battle otherwise. DO NOT give in and give the lo juice. I have had lots of children that parents say will only have juice - :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and I say they will have what you give them, give them juice they will have juice, give them water they will have water.
However, they will hold out for juice if mum is going to undermine you and give in, just cos mum can't show good practice doesn't mean to say you should follow suite, keep offering milk and water - my tap has council pop :laughing: :laughing: NOT water! I would not give lo juice provided by mum on a morning - tell her not to bring it or just tip it away, make sure you tell mum as well.

This would drive me nuts. It is really disrespectful of mum to continue like this, but don't take it personally, just carry on as you are but try and get mum on board with not giving juice. GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

JCrakers
14-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Its really hard to 'wean' children off squash when they have had it. I have two siblings who will not drink water, (1 only comes in school holidays and is 7yrs) his sister is 4yrs. I have managed to come to a deal that they can have 1 small drink of juice diluted with water at lunchtime but water throughout the day.

All the other 13 children I have will drink water. I only offer water and milk and don't give juice or squash to anyone else. If I didn't offer juice to the two children they would have nothing all day which I worry about.

appleblossom
14-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I give very very weak juice to a 3yo mindee in my care. I have tried water and he won't have it. If I don't give him the weak squash he drinks nothing all day. He will only drink milk if it's a milk shake.
He was at a private day nursery from 8am to 6pm yesterday (I don't work Mondays and his Mum has gone full time).

His Mum thinks he must have drunk nothing all day at the nursery as he drank about a pint of weak squash when he got home last night.

AliceK
14-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I was pulled up by my Ofsted inspector for giving the children weak squash (with their parents consent) and advised that I should only be giving them water. So now I only give water. I've not had any problems from mindees with this so I guess it will do them good when they eventually start school as they will be used to only being allowed water. My DD (aged 6) will not drink water. She has to have water in her bottle for school but she will come home with the bottle still full at the end of the day. She is allowed fruit juice in her lunch box so that is all she drinks all day even in the height of summer. It does worry me.

xxxx

charlottenash
14-01-2014, 02:14 PM
For your own school aged children if it's an issue flavour the water, pop a slice of lemon in or use the flavoured still water if your concerned they aren't drinking enough. It concerns me that our school don't ask for them to bring a bottle in at all!

Mindees is water only here, the odd occasion I have put a spoonful of orange/apple fresh juice after consulting parents that they have not drank all morning. Very rare and I've never shown the children what I'm doing so they don't catch on.

playdayz
14-01-2014, 02:17 PM
One of the children I mind does not like water so I make homemade flavoured water with fresh fruit tastes like juice he loves it x

playdayz
14-01-2014, 02:19 PM
http://itsjello.com/55-homemade-flavored-water-recipes/ try some of these

watford wizz
14-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I find it helps to have regular water stops through out the day where every one has a small drink and the children seeing me drink water.

Mouse
14-01-2014, 02:29 PM
My mindees are all pre-schoolers. They have water freely available all day. At morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have water or diluted squash or juice and at afternoon snack they have water. Of the 8 mindees I have over the week, 5 are happy with water at lunchtime, but the other 3 prefer squash.

Personally, i don't see the need to ban squash or juice completely. Most of them drink it at home, so one weak squash a day for the 2 or 3 days a week they are with me isn't going to do them any harm.

A lot of children don't like water. What is so wrong with them having a preference? If a child really disliked a certain food, would we continue to give it to them and offer no alternative at all? I have seen people say "only offer water. If they are really thirsty they will drink it". Well, I can tell you, they won't. Many children would rather go a whole day without a drink than have water. How can that be good for them?

As an adult, how would you feel if you were told that for a whole day you could only drink water? It would suit some adults, just as it suits some children, but I guess the majority would be far from happy.

CookieCutter
14-01-2014, 03:58 PM
I look after a lo whose mother was trying to wean her off breast milk. Lo would not drink cows milk and wasn't keen on water, so parents gave her squash to get some liquid inside her. I would never take it upon myself to tell parents what they should or shouldn't be giving to their children, so when she would show up with a cup full of squash or sometimes un diluted fruit juice, I would let her have it, but when that was gone I would give her water. She simply would not drink it.

I would prefer she have diluted juice rather than insist on water and see her go thirsty. Over the time she's been here, I have managed to tweak the mixture so that it's now far more water than juice (I use fruit juice as I don't keep squash here...not a judgement, I just don't like it).

kellib
14-01-2014, 05:32 PM
My mindees are all pre-schoolers. They have water freely available all day. At morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have water or diluted squash or juice and at afternoon snack they have water. Of the 8 mindees I have over the week, 5 are happy with water at lunchtime, but the other 3 prefer squash. Personally, i don't see the need to ban squash or juice completely. Most of them drink it at home, so one weak squash a day for the 2 or 3 days a week they are with me isn't going to do them any harm. A lot of children don't like water. What is so wrong with them having a preference? If a child really disliked a certain food, would we continue to give it to them and offer no alternative at all? I have seen people say "only offer water. If they are really thirsty they will drink it". Well, I can tell you, they won't. Many children would rather go a whole day without a drink than have water. How can that be good for them? As an adult, how would you feel if you were told that for a whole day you could only drink water? It would suit some adults, just as it suits some children, but I guess the majority would be far from happy.

I completely agree, it sounds mean to deprive them of a tiny splash of squash if that's what they like.

My own son doesn't like water, he also doesn't like fizzy juice so he drinks plenty of squash (I buy the diluting high juices you can get) & fruit juice.

I wouldn't drink water all day either so I don't expect children to.

Blueeyedminder
14-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I personally think it's ridiculous that a child isn't allowed juice, Surely it's up to the parents what their children drink not ****** Ofsted! Glad I live in Wales not England, control freaks!!

AliceK
14-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I personally think it's ridiculous that a child isn't allowed juice, Surely it's up to the parents what their children drink not ****** Ofsted! Glad I live in Wales not England, control freaks!!

I agree totally with you.

In Ofsted's eyes it's about children being "school ready" and as schools only allow water I guess they figure pre-schoolers should get used to only drinking water.

xxxxx

ja-lula-belli
14-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I do not offer or give squash. They can have water whenever they like and at mel times but snack time they can have milk and another from concentrate fresh fruit juice or smoothies '

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

maisiemog
14-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I have one mum who used to send her daughter in with squash as she knew ofsted didn't like me giving it and didnt want me criticised. She wouldn't drink water and mum wrote down that she wanted her drinking this or milk.

I don't like water and pretty much live on tea and would have something to say if I was told I could only drink water all day. We are always being told we need to give children more choice yet take it away from them with this!

tigwig
14-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I think when I have my next inspection I will be pretending I only offer milk or water! In reality about half my mindees drink water and the other half juice. I totally agree that some children will never drink water as I have 2 of my own that will go all day without a drink if they dont like it. I honestly cannot see the harm in a bit of juice. Surely it is better for children to be hydrated even if they do, heaven forbid, have some sugar during the process. I know as a parent what I prefer. Just tell ofsted what they want to hear lol!

SYLVIA
14-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I have 2 mindees here who only ever have juice and mums say they won't drink anything else. Funny that when they are here, they only have water and drink it without a fuss. I have to say it took a while to break the habit and at first they didn't drink much during the day. But I found if I gave juice/squash thy drink it all at once and just kept asking for more, not because they were thirsty but because of the taste. I now find they drink when they are thirsty and also they eat better because their bellies are not constantly full of drink. Stick to your policies, the children will be better for it

jackie 7
14-01-2014, 10:41 PM
i only give water and milk at meals. They all drink water even the one who wouldn't.

chriss
15-01-2014, 02:06 AM
If a child wont drink all day they are with you, surely its more important they drink something, than a battle of wills and they are dehydrated by the end of the day. They surely cannot feel very well if they go that long, so I would give juice and over time make it weaker.

Its the childs wellbeing at stake. If a parent knowingly let their child dehydrate, they would be neglectful in their duty of care, same for us.

And deprive me of my coffee if you dare !! ;)

hectors house
15-01-2014, 07:39 AM
My mindees are all pre-schoolers. They have water freely available all day. At morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have water or diluted squash or juice and at afternoon snack they have water. Of the 8 mindees I have over the week, 5 are happy with water at lunchtime, but the other 3 prefer squash.

Personally, i don't see the need to ban squash or juice completely. Most of them drink it at home, so one weak squash a day for the 2 or 3 days a week they are with me isn't going to do them any harm.

A lot of children don't like water. What is so wrong with them having a preference? If a child really disliked a certain food, would we continue to give it to them and offer no alternative at all? I have seen people say "only offer water. If they are really thirsty they will drink it". Well, I can tell you, they won't. Many children would rather go a whole day without a drink than have water. How can that be good for them?

As an adult, how would you feel if you were told that for a whole day you could only drink water? It would suit some adults, just as it suits some children, but I guess the majority would be far from happy.

Well said Mouse - I offer the same as you - children have free access to water at all times, at morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have weak squash (if they want another drink at lunch then it's water), rest of day they drink water. I drink very weak squash myself as I don't get much time to make myself a cup of tea (or if I do I forget to drink it). I believe in everything in moderation.

little chickee
15-01-2014, 12:14 PM
oK YES I appreciate that water is better. BUT some kids ( my youngest for example) will just not drink water at all. He will go all day ( 8 hours+) with nothing to drink if only water available. Kids can be VERY stubborn!

Well diluted squash is 100% better than a child going all day with no fluid intake.
Neither of my older 2 sons would drink water when they were younger but with being allowed well diluted squash that gradually gets weaker they both now drink water. They prefer squash but will drink water if there is no alternative.

Anyone who allows a young child to go all day with no fluid intake just because they have some sort of problem with a child drinking squash should not in IMO be looking after kids. The health and well being of the child is paramount. They will suffer far greater negative side effects from long term dehydration than they ever will from some well diluted squash.

Chimps Childminding
15-01-2014, 12:27 PM
TBH I don't really like just water! I like flavoured water or squash, mostly tea if I'm honest! and I would rather a child had squash than not drink! At present most of mine drink water anyway, but I had one boy who hated water, even at school he had a drinks bottle that you couldn't see thro so he could have squash in it!

At the end of the day it is the parents who would normally start giving a child squash, so if they are happy for their child to have it, I don't really think ifs my place to disagree. I can suggest milk or water but if they won't drink it squash they have!

manjay
15-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Giving squash (which is what the OP poster is dealing with) is still not within the guidelines in Wales so technically a CSSIW inspector may take issue with it.

Our guidelines state that although milk or water are the only safe drinks we are able to give diluted fresh juice (1:10) at meal times.

munch149
15-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Can you take the juice mum sends and slowly slowly slowly dilute it until child is drinking water? I too only offer milk or water b... But for all mindees. I don't have squash in the house, and rarely juice.

I would do this too but also

Only give the diluted juice with meals. This was the recommendation if you wanted to give juice when I did a healthy eating course. Give her water at other times. At least you know she is getting fluid throughout the day but at the same time your discouraging the juice drinking

emma04
15-01-2014, 06:05 PM
My house, my business and my rules!
I give squash to those that don't drink water.

Ofsted can go jump! I'm a childminder not a dictator!!

hectors house
15-01-2014, 06:09 PM
My house, my business and my rules!
I give squash to those that don't drink water.

Ofsted can go jump! I'm a childminder not a dictator!!

I know it is the norm now, but I remember when my daughters school introduced "fruit only" for mid morning break - the school had lots of children from poorer backgrounds / free school meals, I used to help with reading and worked with lots of these children - many of them didn't have any breakfast before school and had to manage to lunch time with just an apple and a few sips of water from the water fountain while the teachers were in the staff room stuffing chocolate biscuits and swilling back coffee.

Supernanny86
15-01-2014, 06:26 PM
I really don't see the issue with kids having diluted squash! Jeez if that's the worst they do then I think they're doing fine!! Everything in moderation :) glad I'm not dictated to my ofsted! One of the twins will drink for England whatever it is. The other likes a bit of flavour, don't see anything wrong with it and it's so obvious of he's just given water that he don't drink as his nappy is dry and that's not good! I wouldn't force a certain food on a child.

And shoot me now but I give them a bit of chocolate too now and then! I was brought up in squash and I'm fine!! :D

Blueeyedminder
15-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Giving squash (which is what the OP poster is dealing with) is still not within the guidelines in Wales so technically a CSSIW inspector may take issue with it. Our guidelines state that although milk or water are the only safe drinks we are able to give diluted fresh juice (1:10) at meal times.

I can't find this in the minimum standards.. Besides it's up to the parents what their child is and is not allowed to drink not CSSIW

yummyripples
15-01-2014, 11:38 PM
And shoot me now but I give them a bit of chocolate too now and then! I was brought up in squash and I'm fine!! :D

I take mine to McDonald's occasionally

charlottenash
16-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I think we should shoot yummy ripples, macdonalds... are you kidding! Complete junk food.... *dreams about a cheeseburger*

Supernanny86
16-01-2014, 07:54 AM
I think we should shoot yummy ripples, macdonalds... are you kidding! Complete junk food.... *dreams about a cheeseburger*

Charlotte you'll need to shoot me too then!! Lol I go there very occasionally. Maybe 4 times in the year and half I've had the twins. I'm not the only one around here! All in moderation! Everything else is fresh and cooked from scratch! I should know I cook it all!! If someone denied me alcohol I'd shoot them!! :D *that reminds me the ratatouille batch will not do itself!!** nearly cut my finger off last time as I continued cutting whilst crying because of the onion!! :( :( :(

FloraDora
16-01-2014, 08:00 AM
I understand the reasons behind the water ruling and agree with it in principle but until it becomes 'law' for parents too we will always be in this difficult situation.
If children are only offered water and milk from weaning stage they will naturally drink it. If they are offered from weaning something in their water they will build up a preference for that......then the government are saying it is up to childcare to sort it.

The government cannot insist that children only drink water in our care if they don't back it up with penalties for parents who give their children squash and still allow companies to sell it!

Whilst most children easily move over to the water only some individuals don't and not only for stubbornness, also because they are not used to drinking it. I think if your policy is only water, milk or diluted fruit juice and ofsted can see evidence that you are trying to implement this policy, with possibly an RA in place and a plan to wean a child off squash then I am sure they will be happy- daft that we have to go to this trouble but we have to jump through so many hoops in order to prove our worth unfortunately. I would love to make a stand, but it is not worth jeopardising my business grading for.
A parent of mine is trying to support this by weaning her son off squash with natural elderflower - it says no added ingredients...and herb drinks like fennel, these are very weak, and 'supposedly' slightly better than fruit squash....... At least she is trying.

Mouse
16-01-2014, 08:50 AM
We all seem to try very hard, then we go to toddler groups (ours are run by Surestart and the Childrens' Centre) where they give the children juice and biscuits :rolleyes:

charlottenash
16-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Super nanny I was joking :)

dawn100
16-01-2014, 10:56 AM
I understand the reasons behind the water ruling and agree with it in principle but until it becomes 'law' for parents too we will always be in this difficult situation.
If children are only offered water and milk from weaning stage they will naturally drink it. If they are offered from weaning something in their water they will build up a preference for that......then the government are saying it is up to childcare to sort it.

The government cannot insist that children only drink water in our care if they don't back it up with penalties for parents who give their children squash and still allow companies to sell it!

Whilst most children easily move over to the water only some individuals don't and not only for stubbornness, also because they are not used to drinking it. I think if your policy is only water, milk or diluted fruit juice and ofsted can see evidence that you are trying to implement this policy, with possibly an RA in place and a plan to wean a child off squash then I am sure they will be happy- daft that we have to go to this trouble but we have to jump through so many hoops in order to prove our worth unfortunately. I would love to make a stand, but it is not worth jeopardising my business grading for.
A parent of mine is trying to support this by weaning her son off squash with natural elderflower - it says no added ingredients...and herb drinks like fennel, these are very weak, and 'supposedly' slightly better than fruit squash....... At least she is trying.

I have been resisting replying to this thread as it can make me really irate. My dd when a baby and a toddler suffered from severe constipation and still is prone to it now. It was so bad she had anal tears, had paediatric referral where to cut a long story short the consultant asked about her diet - all very healthy plenty veg and fruit, he then went on to ask about what she drank - I replied only milk and water - consultant then recommended we give her very weak squash or diluated juice as he thought the additional liquid and the drinks themselves would help her as he said although people say if you only give them water they will drink if they are really thirsty which is true but there is a difference between drinking enough to stop you from becoming dehydrated and you being fully hydrated with all your insides working as they should be. My dd was never dehydrated and passed normal amounts of urine just needs plenty of fluid and fruit to pass normal stools.
If a child came to us and was a vegan or vegetarian some doctors recommend avoiding these diets in babies and young children as it can be difficult to get the nutrients needed, we wouldn't be telling parents that they should have a diet including meat (please don't anyone think I'm having a go at people whi feed their children vegetarian food because I'm not) we would be respecting their wishes whether we agreed with it or not! However when it comes to the dreaded squash we no longer respect parents wishes. In my house if parents want their child to have dilute squash or juice they have that at meal times provided by the parents, milk is offered at snack times and then a drinks bottle with water in is available all day.

Supernanny86
16-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Super nanny I was joking :)

I know you were Charlotte! I was too! :D

FloraDora
16-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I have been resisting replying to this thread as it can make me really irate. My dd when a baby and a toddler suffered from severe constipation and still is prone to it now. It was so bad she had anal tears, had paediatric referral where to cut a long story short the consultant asked about her diet - all very healthy plenty veg and fruit, he then went on to ask about what she drank - I replied only milk and water - consultant then recommended we give her very weak squash or diluated juice as he thought the additional liquid and the drinks themselves would help her as he said although people say if you only give them water they will drink if they are really thirsty which is true but there is a difference between drinking enough to stop you from becoming dehydrated and you being fully hydrated with all your insides working as they should be. My dd was never dehydrated and passed normal amounts of urine just needs plenty of fluid and fruit to pass normal stools.
If a child came to us and was a vegan or vegetarian some doctors recommend avoiding these diets in babies and young children as it can be difficult to get the nutrients needed, we wouldn't be telling parents that they should have a diet including meat (please don't anyone think I'm having a go at people whi feed their children vegetarian food because I'm not) we would be respecting their wishes whether we agreed with it or not! However when it comes to the dreaded squash we no longer respect parents wishes. In my house if parents want their child to have dilute squash or juice they have that at meal times provided by the parents, milk is offered at snack times and then a drinks bottle with water in is available all day.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence.
Of course there are situations like yours where recommendations come from health professionals and I should have acknowledged this in my reply.

AdeleMarie88
16-01-2014, 12:56 PM
The problem arises for me when I have two or. Three parents. Who are completely against juice, and others who bring their children in with it. I tend to have squash at home, I do like water, but squash adds a little more taste! I would worry about anyone, adult or child, who had no variation in their diet and ate and drank the same thing everyday. I think providing we offer water and milk aswell as any other tasty drinks, then Ofsted can't complain. And it's not as if you Can't buy sugar free, organic, high juice these days anyway!!

The whole no juice at all did stem from Ofsted, and being "school-ready" and a small part of me agrees, if we are caring for these children well surely apart Of That means getting them ready for an environment That They will be in for the next few years, that only supplies water!!

If I was in a situation where my mindees would not have any water at all and would rather go all day without, rather than behaving like a child myself, I would look to ways to help encourage other liquids. For example, making fruit smoothies together, making fruit ice lollies, diluting squash until barely anything in it, popping fresh fruit in water...anything other than let them go thirsty!!!

manjay
16-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I can't find this in the minimum standards.. Besides it's up to the parents what their child is and is not allowed to drink not CSSIW

Standard 12.2 states that we have due regard for the Welsh Assembly's Food and Health Guidelines for Early Years and Childcare Settings.

Of course it is entirely up to you what you do in your business but for any other Welsh members reading the recommendations are definitely there:thumbsup:

charlottenash
16-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Our school allow juice in packed lunches?

shortstuff
16-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Ds has squash for lunch but water in the class for access all day. Personally I dont like under 1s having anything other than milk or water but over 1s I give weak squash at parents request.

AdeleMarie88
16-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Our school allow juice in packed lunches?

I know for our local primary schools, it's water only during the day, they don't allow any other drinks unless you have medical reasons to do so. It's mad because you see parents with various cans of fizzy drinks and the second the doors open the children run to their moms and crack a fizzy drink open!! A bit like me I suppose with the wine at 6pm :) haha

dawn100
16-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence.
Of course there are situations like yours where recommendations come from health professionals and I should have acknowledged this in my reply.

You didn't cause offence, sorry wasnt aiming my reply at you.

In response to getting children ready for school at my childrens schools they are allowed juice and squash in their lunch but only water in class. So I do the same here, dilute juice or water at meal times if parents want and they supply, water available at all other times.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Milk and water - we don't have squash or fruit juices in the house.

Out of interest does everyone who does supply squash or give it supplied from parents clean each childs teeth afterwards? I went on a course and the sugar that erodes teeth from drinks is shocking, over a time there were examples of the childrens teeth decaying and turning black because of the time that the sugar was on them. Very similar to children still having a bottle in their bed at night with juice in it incase they woke up.

charlottenash
17-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I drink fruit juice, I also have coke from time to time. I don't brush my teeth after, and my teeth are beautifully white and clean :)

candy cat
17-01-2014, 12:14 PM
We have milk, water or squash.... never had pure juice in the house as it is dreadful for the teeth. I do have squash and serve it weak. My son only drinks water (14 now) he prefers it, unfortunately my dd doesn't like it and when she was 14 mths was quite poorly with a viral infection.....The hospital gave her juice and said she needs ANY fluids and yes in an ideal world water is best, but we have to do what is right for each child. She has water at school, but hardly drinks it and gets terrible headaches because of it :0(
I would be more concerned about dehydrated children than their teeth, after all parents need to also take responsibility..... We can advice all we like can't we, but if parents want to give them juice, fizzy pop etc at home then that is their choice......plus I was brought up on squash, milk, tea and coffee and the odd fizzy pop and at 43 have 3 fillings :0)

hectors house
17-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Out of interest does everyone who does supply squash or give it supplied from parents clean each childs teeth afterwards? I went on a course and the sugar that erodes teeth from drinks is shocking, over a time there were examples of the childrens teeth decaying and turning black because of the time that the sugar was on them. Very similar to children still having a bottle in their bed at night with juice in it incase they woke up.

My mindees have weak squash only at lunch time, they then get down and play for half an hour (as I find they all poo after lunch), then they clean their teeth (I supply a brush each and the toothpaste) and go up for a nap. They have milk for morning snack and water rest of day. I never have and never will give juice or squash or tea in a bottle.

shortstuff
17-01-2014, 12:51 PM

I dont as the parents havent provided a tooth brush for their darlings. But as a side point i was told that milk does similar as it also contains sugars.

Simona
17-01-2014, 01:10 PM
We could have the whole of 54,000 cms inputting in this thread and each one will have his/her own rules

Personally I feel it is a question of finding a balance and agreement with the parents...milk and water are possibly the best for children
I would agree with parents that squash and juice is given only once a day with a meal and well diluted but I would never give it in a beaker where children sip from all day...would any parent object? don't know ...no one ever has

All children will eventually agree to follow our rules and that is part of their development and understanding boundaries
At one of the most recent meetings with EY the dietician gave us one of those talks about Healthy eating and suggested juice can be given as long as it is diluted...that's good enough for me and should be too...she is a professional....and should be for Ofsted too.

Nicola Carlyle
19-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Throughout the day I offer milk water or squash to all the children in my care. (Over 2's). All the parents have commented on how they like the fact the children are offered different drinks throughout the day / week. If I feel a child is drinking to much if one thing then I simply take a choice away and offers the other two. Everything in moderation is just fine in my book.

FloraDora
20-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Childrens Food Trust | The Eat Better, Start Better programme | For childminders (http://www.childrensfoodtrust.org.uk/pre-school/eat-better-start-better/childminders)

I follow this guidance. They seem to know what they are talking about, based on health issues.

Water or milk throughout the day, diluted fruit juice at lunch.

TooEarlyForGin?
20-01-2014, 09:38 AM
I have also got this issue, as one of my little ones was very poorly when an infant and had to re-hydrate rapidly, they were abroad, and she was really poorly and just wouldn't drink enough water, and was advised by doctors to get her to drink anything to make her better, ever since she will not drink water only and will also go all day without drinking if necessary. Another one has started to drink squash at home and also will not drink water anymore, and screams the house down if I try and stick to water, mum and dad give in all the time so I don't get the back up. I have tried to limit her squash, telling her she can have 1 cup full, then its water but the tantrums and screaming is horrible, and then her mum took her to the doctor and he said watered down squash is absolutely fine, its vitally important to let them drink as much as they need. So if OFSTED pick me up I will refer them to the doctor....

julie w
20-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Thank you all very much for your replies and opinions. I have come to the conclusion that if my mindee refused to drink anything all day it would be more detrimental to her health than letting her have squash. So I am watering down her squash as much as possible . The childrens welfare is the most important thing here and therefore mum has written me a note for the childs file giving me permission .