PDA

View Full Version : 49 schools trialling 2 year olds named by Truss

Simona
14-01-2014, 10:09 AM
These schools will receive £10,000 grant each for the privilege
I despair Truss knows what she is doing if not driving more cms out of the profession

Pre-school Education: 13 Jan 2014: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-13a.181574.h&s=speaker:24941#g181574.r0)

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I can see why the schools are doing it as it is more money for them and I believe the Bums on Seats money is more per 2 year old as well.

I have little respect for any Quality educational establishment who thinks school or Nursery School is an appropriate place for a 2 year old to be. What kind of Teachers agree to this though it will be the Heads making the choice and telling the Teachers what to do and they will have little or no choice especially if the school is an Academy or a group of schools lead by the same Head.

I don't think Truss has the first idea of the problems she is setting up for the future with regard to these children and frankly she doesn't care does she. Her children are fine and she won't be around to pick up the pieces when these poor children crack up it will be the Teachers. They will then be blamed for being bad Teachers for letting the children become what they will become when they burn out.

I am so glad my two are well out of the school system and my husband will be well retired before the ...t hits the fan.

Mouse
14-01-2014, 12:15 PM
I think one of the schools is near me, although it's hard to tell when they don't give a location.

The nursery & preschool unit is already in existence & already takes 2 year olds. They offer care from 8am-6pm, 48 weeks a year. It is classed as being in a deprived area where there has been a big demand for places for 2 year olds. To be honest, it's not a school, it's a nursery. The only difference is it's LA controlled, rather than privately owned. It isn't attached to an infant or primary school.

I'm not quite sure why they're included in the trial when they aren't a school and when they already provide the service, other than for Truss to be able to turn round & say "look, we can successfully put 2 year olds in school".

Simona
14-01-2014, 01:29 PM
There is one school that sounds like one near me...why could she not give the location beats me!
If Truss can find £10,000 each for 49 schools surely she could find more funding for us which would have meant more cms coming forward to draw it and maybe less leaving the profession if better paid?
I tweeted to her saying she was making the crisis worse

Amazing that the schools can spent up to £2,500 for resources when new cms get £250 grant.

Daisy1956
14-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I have never had a grant for 2 yr olds and none of the cms I know have. Is it all LA or just some offering a grant. Mind you only one 2yr old funded place using a cm in the area all the rest are going to the nursery attached to Childrens Centre coincidence or what.

Simona
14-01-2014, 07:29 PM
More waffle from the Under Secretary

Truss names schools in two-year-old trial | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1141542/truss-names-schools-trial?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Daisy 1956...the £250 I was referring to is the grant newly registering Cms can apply for to help with initial costs not one for taking the 2 year olds although I believe something was available but I have yet to meet anyone who got it
as you can read from the article the schools do get a wopping large amount for extending provision and training...oh! on that score they will not know what is going to hit them with a classroom full of 2 year olds!!...fair it is NOT!!

After delivering the 15 hrs of free education...for which schools get a much bigger funding than us poor relations...I want to know who they will turn to when the children will need 'childcare' or nappies need changing and wraparound care kicks in?
Call the CM comes to mind! :angry:
Is this what it is meant by childcare hubs?

Bluebell
14-01-2014, 07:42 PM
broadclyst primary is exeter in Devon and the same primary school that is running childminder agency trials working alongside noel quinn (Devon childminder development workers) and the county council.

All seems like it could be a conflict of interest as they will be in competition with childminders so how can they run an agency? Unless there is a severe shortage of childcare in the area so it really would be a case of working together to provide spaces but personally I just don't see it.

appleblossom
14-01-2014, 08:24 PM
At least two of those schools are near me and the two I definitely recognised are in deprived areas. I suppose Truss thinks children in those areas need school at 2 years old. The schools concerned probably need the money.

Samijanec
14-01-2014, 08:29 PM
My daughter is being put under huge pressure to send my two year old granddaughter to nursery! To the point they are trying to make her out to be a bad mother for not sending her!!

Daisy1956
14-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks Simona, I knew newly registered cms got a grant(not very much when you consider start up costs) just thought something may be available for extra resources that may be needed for 2 yr olds using funded places.

Simona
15-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks Simona, I knew newly registered cms got a grant(not very much when you consider start up costs) just thought something may be available for extra resources that may be needed for 2 yr olds using funded places.

I think something was available not sure if it still is...I remember when they were talking about 'Achieving 2 year olds' this was mentioned...LAs would surely know... any cm who is interested should contact their EY team.

rickysmiths
15-01-2014, 08:18 AM
I have never had a grant for 2 yr olds and none of the cms I know have. Is it all LA or just some offering a grant. Mind you only one 2yr old funded place using a cm in the area all the rest are going to the nursery attached to Childrens Centre coincidence or what.

In fact Daisy it costs some childminders money because LAs are asking them to increase their PLI which costs just under £100 via Pacey and the LA is not picking up the bill.