PDA

View Full Version : Have you reserved a place for an baby before it's born??

acorns
13-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Hi, situation is that prospective new mum is on her own and has to return to work when baby will still be very young. Childminding spaces around here are scarce and mum is keen to get things sorted asap. The arrangement she's looking for would really suit me & I'm keen to offer the space to her rather than someone else. But i'm nervous about doing so ivo what could happen between now then. I know I couldn't do a contract until the baby is born, but has anyone else been in a similar situation-what did you do?

hectors house
13-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I guess you could take a deposit and issue a receipt but I know that it isn't recommended to charge a retainer for an unborn baby, you never know what may happen!

blue bear
13-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I've pencilled them in, no contract no retainer etc until child is born, you have to judge whether you are happy to take the risk that you will get the child, I turned other work away during the pregnancy so a big risk, worked out all three times for me.

acorns
13-01-2014, 09:40 PM
This is the thing. It's a gamble because I know I'll be turning others away, but I also know that sometimes it's worth waiting. Good to know it worked out for you.

I've pencilled them in, no contract no retainer etc until child is born, you have to judge whether you are happy to take the risk that you will get the child, I turned other work away during the pregnancy so a big risk, worked out all three times for me.

FussyElmo
13-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Hi, situation is that prospective new mum is on her own and has to return to work when baby will still be very young. Childminding spaces around here are scarce and mum is keen to get things sorted asap. The arrangement she's looking for would really suit me & I'm keen to offer the space to her rather than someone else. But i'm nervous about doing so ivo what could happen between now then. I know I couldn't do a contract until the baby is born, but has anyone else been in a similar situation-what did you do?

Yes I have no deposit no retainer just went on my gut instinct.

Mindee is still here 6 and 1/2 years later :D

rickysmiths
13-01-2014, 09:50 PM
You are not supposed to sign Contracts, take Deposits or retainers for unborn babies. I would never ever do this, imagine if anything went wrong? Pacey recommend it isn't done as well. I would say if I was able to I would keep a mind on my spaces and keep her in the picture but I would arrange to see her as soon after the birth as she feels able and book a place then.

Good luck.

The Juggler
13-01-2014, 10:07 PM
you should not really take a deposit for an unborn baby. I have 'reserved' a place but only because it was that I could use a variation to accept her. What I did do was make mum aware she needed to send her older child to keep the days she wanted.

However, even once baby is born its a long time to hold a place on a retainer with half fees, depending on when she wants to start of course.

Simona
14-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Absolutely not...ask the parent to keep in touch with you and come back when the baby is born and take it from there...by all means take note of mum's wish and jot it on your Waiting list, if you have one

Yes pacey used to recommend we do not sign contracts or such like until a baby is born...it is a question of ethics which nurseries take no account of and from what I gather put unborn babies on waiting lists....that is just not on!!

hectors house
14-01-2014, 07:58 AM
you should not really take a deposit for an unborn baby. I have 'reserved' a place but only because it was that I could use a variation to accept her. What I did do was make mum aware she needed to send her older child to keep the days she wanted.

However, even once baby is born its a long time to hold a place on a retainer with half fees, depending on when she wants to start of course.

I would take a deposit which would be refundable if something went wrong during the pregnancy or birth and baby was born with medical problems (this has just happened to my husband's work colleague - baby born with brain damage) but if everything went fine but mother just decided that she didn't want to return to work after all, then I would keep deposit.

QualityCare
14-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I had one child and when mum was pregnant with the 2nd she wanted me to have the baby as well (l explained about not taking a deposit for an unborn child), l would have a vacancy at the time as another child was leaving but it would mean at least 12mths loss of earnings, as soon as other child left mum came to me and said she was giving me an increase in fees for 1st child so that l didn't have to fill space and as soon as baby was born we filled in contract and she paid retainer until the start date, we reviewed fees for older child as she was due to start nursery when baby started. On the other side l had a request from a parent from sure start office (she worked alongside my DO) to hold a space for her baby, as yet unborn, this l did, mum went to Pakistan before the birth stayed for 6mths all the time checking with my DO that l still had space for her baby, parents came to visit on her return they set a start date for 8 weeks time with a visit the following week to fill in contracts, no call, after 3 weeks l called them and mum told me dad had decided child should go to a nursery and baby was starting the following week. Never again will l hold a place without a deposit.

hectors house
14-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes a deposit is something that shows they have made a commitment to keep to the verbal agreement - as I mentioned above I would return the deposit if something went wrong with the pregnancy or birth but keep it if the parent just changed their mind, decided to stay home or mother in law offered to look after baby for free. I only charge £50 for each day they will want contracted - maximum of £250 - so less than 2 weeks fees.

ziggy
14-01-2014, 08:51 AM
I had one child and when mum was pregnant with the 2nd she wanted me to have the baby as well (l explained about not taking a deposit for an unborn child), l would have a vacancy at the time as another child was leaving but it would mean at least 12mths loss of earnings, as soon as other child left mum came to me and said she was giving me an increase in fees for 1st child so that l didn't have to fill space and as soon as baby was born we filled in contract and she paid retainer until the start date, we reviewed fees for older child as she was due to start nursery when baby started. On the other side l had a request from a parent from sure start office (she worked alongside my DO) to hold a space for her baby, as yet unborn, this l did, mum went to Pakistan before the birth stayed for 6mths all the time checking with my DO that l still had space for her baby, parents came to visit on her return they set a start date for 8 weeks time with a visit the following week to fill in contracts, no call, after 3 weeks l called them and mum told me dad had decided child should go to a nursery and baby was starting the following week. Never again will l hold a place without a deposit.

I agree, similar thing happened to me. I kept place for baby (had 2 older brothers, 1 of which was a schoolie that i didnt really want to do). Baby was born march 2012, was due to come to me September 2013 (i'd kept place from September 2012) then mummy decided not to go back to work till January 2014. Then on 9th December she gave me notice!!!!! I turned away quite a lot of work while waiting for this baby so wont be making that mistake again. I wouldnt take a deposit for an unborn baby but wouldnt keep a place if other work came along

ziggy
14-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I agree, similar thing happened to me. I kept place for baby (had 2 older brothers, 1 of which was a schoolie that i didnt really want to do). Baby was born march 2012, was due to come to me September 2013 (i'd kept place from September 2012) then mummy decided not to go back to work till January 2014. Then on 9th December she gave me notice!!!!! I turned away quite a lot of work while waiting for this baby so wont be making that mistake again. I wouldnt take a deposit for an unborn baby but wouldnt keep a place if other work came along

Sorry that should have said 'baby was born March 2013'