PDA

View Full Version : Where do i stand?

Natalierose
13-01-2014, 07:37 PM
HI all need advice please
So I have been minding since October all is going well I have most of my spaces filled. I live with my parents currently and obviously I mind from here and it works well. now the thing is I got engaged at Xmas and we have just started to look at properties to rent in our minds thinking that it will be in 3 or 4 months. Well on Sunday we viewed a few and typically came across the perfect house for me and my partner, perfect for my childminding and is much more suitable and it's in our price range.
I have not yet had my graded inspection- so would I be able to move into a new property in a month or so without being graded? Would they allow it and just immediately come and grade me once I'm in?
If anyone has been in this or a similar situation please enlighten me.
Sorry for going on.
X

Natalierose
13-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Also I think parents would be fine with the short notice as it is only minutes from where I live and they will see straight away that it will be a better place for their children! X

smurfette
13-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Sorry can't advise as am in Ireland just want to say congrats on your engagement!

Toothfairy
13-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Congratulations on your engagement :clapping:

I don't want to put a dampener on things but before you go too far into the process, make sure your Landlord will allow you to Childmind from the property. There have been a few threads lately where CM's have found their perfect house and then all their plans fall through because their Landlord has said no.

Good luck with your new home, business & pending marriage :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
13-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi :),
You just need to let Ofsted know you are moving and need to continue childminding from your new home. They can't tell you you're not allowed to move house. You just need to do as yiou have in your current premises and ensure yu risk assess and make the house safe for the children you look after :thumbsup:
They sometimes come out and do an inspection of the new property - possibly it might prompt your first graded inspection - sometimes they ask for floor plans risk asessements etc, but sometimes just issue a new certificate with the new address on it. Some childminders have had to hassle them for the new certificate/ written confirmation that they can legally mind from the new premises as they can take their time.
I would just ring Ofsted and see what they say. Be good to get them to email you too, so you have something in writing.

Natalierose
13-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Congratulations on your engagement :clapping: I don't want to put a dampener on things but before you go too far into the process, make sure your Landlord will allow you to Childmind from the property. There have been a few threads lately where CM's have found their perfect house and then all their plans fall through because their Landlord has said no. Good luck with your new home, business & pending marriage :thumbsup:
Thank you toothfairy
We have already discussed this with the landlord and he is absolutely fine with it, he seems a really reasonable bloke thank fully.
X

Natalierose
13-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi :), You just need to let Ofsted know you are moving and need to continue childminding from your new home. They can't tell you you're not allowed to move house. You just need to do as yiou have in your current premises and ensure yu risk assess and make the house safe for the children you look after :thumbsup: They sometimes come out and do an inspection of the new property - possibly it might prompt your first graded inspection - sometimes they ask for floor plans risk asessements etc, but sometimes just issue a new certificate with the new address on it. Some childminders have had to hassle them for the new certificate/ written confirmation that they can legally mind from the new premises as they can take their time. I would just ring Ofsted and see what they say. Be good to get them to email you too, so you have something in writing.
Goat girl you have just answered all my questions and concerns!! Thankyou very much! I was worrying it would be a bigger deal than that. It would make perfect sense that they would just come and do my first grading soon after we move in. Thanks again!! X

Natalierose
16-01-2014, 08:04 PM
MORE HELP PLEASE!

ok so the application for the house has been approved but my partner doesn't currently live with me therefore doesn't have a DBS check.
So my next question is would I have to stay working from my parents home until his check has come back? He is at work every day 6.45 am til 5pm but I'm sure he'd have to be DBS checked before I could work at the new house??
Thanks x

Stapleton83
16-01-2014, 08:18 PM
My understanding would be yes his DBS needs to be in place before you can mind at a property where he is resident, my DH is rarely here when my mindees are but still had to be checked.

Sam x

blue bear
16-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Ring and check,ds DBS took three days so you might be lucky.

Natalierose
16-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Ring and check,ds DBS took three days so you might be lucky. WOW 3 days! That would be amazing. I'll ring first thing in the morning. This has all moved a little faster than we expected. Thanks x

k1rstie
16-01-2014, 09:04 PM
You might be in a lucky position that you could move into your new house, and keep on minding at your parents until you are all sorted!

Natalierose
16-01-2014, 09:48 PM
You might be in a lucky position that you could move into your new house, and keep on minding at your parents until you are all sorted!
Yes that Ivan easily be done and not at all a problem. Surely Ofsted will be ok with this? X

jackie 7
16-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Well done. Getting engaged and finding the best place. Go for it!!

rickysmiths
17-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Thank you toothfairy
We have already discussed this with the landlord and he is absolutely fine with it, he seems a really reasonable bloke thank fully.
X

Please please please get this permission in writing before you sign anything. Ofsted will want it in writing anyway.

Kiddleywinks
17-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Please please please get this permission in writing before you sign anything. Ofsted will want it in writing anyway.

Agree with RS, there was a thread on here not so long ago where the CM was under the impression she had permission (was given verbally by the agent) but when she moved in she hadn't.

I'll see if I can find the thread....

Edited:
Found it
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/126501-what-do.html

teacakepenguin
17-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Firstly congrats :)

And secondly, check with Ofsted about the DBS, when my partner moved in they wouldn't check him before we actually lived together and then they said just to risk assess the situation while he was living here and the DBS was coming through, which took months! I just had to ensure he was never left alone with the children, that was the main thing. Ask them what you should do.

Jx

Natalierose
17-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Just spoke to a very helpful lady at Ofsted. We can move in together and I can work from there as long as the DBS has been submitted and I don't leave him alone with the children.

I will now call them back and ask what they need regarding permission from the landlord.

Thanks to you all x

rickysmiths
17-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Just spoke to a very helpful lady at Ofsted. We can move in together and I can work from there as long as the DBS has been submitted and I don't leave him alone with the children.

I will now call them back and ask what they need regarding permission from the landlord.

Thanks to you all x

You need a letter from your Landlord giving you permission to conduct your Childminding from his house. He will need to check with his Mortgage Company if he has one if they are happy for you to work in the house and he will have to check with his insurers as well. You may have to prompt him that he has to check. When he has and if all are happy you need it in writing that it is ok for you to proceed otherwise you could find he could walk in one day or his agent if he has one could and say you can't work and then you are stuffed.

Even if Ofsted say they don't want a letter you would be well advised to get one. I used to be a Director on a free hold Company and if a childminder wrote to us and asked permission to work we would always write back confirming that was fine as long as they were correctly registered and insured and asked for a copy of Reg Cert and PLI Cert for our records. If any Directors found someone had not asked permission to run a business they were quite hard on them as it put our buildings insurance in jeopardy if we did not have the correct information.

Remember it is not all about Ofsted and what they may or may not want. You are a business woman and you need to protect your business especially if you are in rented or Leasehold properties and even more so if you are in a Rented Leasehold property.

Natalierose
17-01-2014, 07:39 PM
You need a letter from your Landlord giving you permission to conduct your Childminding from his house. He will need to check with his Mortgage Company if he has one if they are happy for you to work in the house and he will have to check with his insurers as well. You may have to prompt him that he has to check. When he has and if all are happy you need it in writing that it is ok for you to proceed otherwise you could find he could walk in one day or his agent if he has one could and say you can't work and then you are stuffed. Even if Ofsted say they don't want a letter you would be well advised to get one. I used to be a Director on a free hold Company and if a childminder wrote to us and asked permission to work we would always write back confirming that was fine as long as they were correctly registered and insured and asked for a copy of Reg Cert and PLI Cert for our records. If any Directors found someone had not asked permission to run a business they were quite hard on them as it put our buildings insurance in jeopardy if we did not have the correct information. Remember it is not all about Ofsted and what they may or may not want. You are a business woman and you need to protect your business especially if you are in rented or Leasehold properties and even more so if you are in a Rented Leasehold property.

Thank you for this!!
I will get it sorted. X