PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis

Blueeyedminder
13-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Hi, I have a little boy with a sore red eye, it's goo-inch and sticky. It looks like conjunctivitis.. I'm taking him home soon should I ask mum not to bring him tomorrow? If it is conjunctivitis I don't want other children getting or myself! It's horrible to have!

donnam
13-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes exclude as very contagious

Blueeyedminder
13-01-2014, 03:29 PM
I have no dispute with excluding if it's conjunctivas.. But I'm not sure if it is.. His mum accidentally poked his eye the other day so it's sore anyway but both eyes are weeping :/

Tazmin68
13-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Make sure that you have it listed in your policies somewhere that you do exclude for it as if you only go by the HPA guidelines you will see that it is not listed under exclusion. I amended my health policy to include conjunctivitis and untreated headlice.

Deb

chris goodyear
13-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Are we allowed to exclude though? I personally would wish to as it's so highly contagious but according to the guidelines we can't. Would we legally be allowed to as we are self employed or would we be leaving ourselves vulnerable if a parent wasn't too happy about the exclusion?

Tazmin68
13-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Yes you can exclude as long as you have written it down somewhere amongst your policies. I have a paragraph in my health policy which explains my reasons for excluding for conjunctivitis which is because I do not want go be out at risk as I wear contact lenses and I did thus after I caught it last year took ages and as I also drive children I did not feel as confident driving wearing glasses instead of lenses due to different perscription.

Re headlice yes again I have it listed as exclusion for untreated headlice so that parents tske it seriously and do not pass it onto other mindless and upset other families.

Bluebell
13-01-2014, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't exclude - its contagious like a cold is and about the same level of seriousness - not very nice but not that harmful. Good hygeine - ie don't let children touch each others eyes, hand washing, and so on should mean it is not passed on.

Blueeyedminder
14-01-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't believe that you can do much to stop it spreading as there are 6 children in my setting and conjunctivitis is very contagious!

AliceK
14-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I do exclude for it until treatment has been started and going for 24hrs. Usually once treatment has begun it starts to get better very quickly. As a contact lense wearer and someone who was rushed to eye casualty due to a nasty infection and subsequently has scarring of the retina I don't want to take any chances. Young children can't help but to touch / rub their eyes especially if they are sore or runny so for me it wouldn't work to just tell them not to touch.

xxxx

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't exclude - its contagious like a cold is and about the same level of seriousness - not very nice but not that harmful. Good hygeine - ie don't let children touch each others eyes, hand washing, and so on should mean it is not passed on.

I agree. I don't exclude unless it is so bad that the child is so ill they can't take part in normal activities.

Good hygiene is all you need. In 20 years I have never had all the children or even one child get it from another.

Even doctors are reluctant to prescribe any treatment for at least 3 days because it has been shown that it usually clears up on its own in this time.

dawn100
14-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I agree. I don't exclude unless it is so bad that the child is so ill they can't take part in normal activities.

Good hygiene is all you need. In 20 years I have never had all the children or even one child get it from another.

Even doctors are reluctant to prescribe any treatment for at least 3 days because it has been shown that it usually clears up on its own in this time.

Doctors around here are very reluctant to prescribe anything for it as have found it goes on its own just as quick most of the time, I just ask parents to clean eyes before drop off to make the child more comfortable as often is hard and crusty first thing in the morning when they wake up.