PDA

View Full Version : Husband as my assistant

kime
12-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone, I am considering having my husband working with me as my assistant. He obviously has had a CRB done when I registered last year so that part is covered. He has just done a first aid course (but not a paediatric one).

Is there anything else? Do I just write & notify Ofsted?

TIA xx

Mummits
12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone, I am considering having my husband working with me as my assistant. He obviously has had a CRB done when I registered last year so that part is covered. He has just done a first aid course (but not a paediatric one).

Is there anything else? Do I just write & notify Ofsted?

TIA xx

It might be worth getting independent financial advice on whether or how much to pay him or whether to have him as a volunteer. If you want him to be able to be left alone with any children ever he will need a paediatric first aid certificate.

unalindura77
12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
I read that if they are to be alone with children they will need Safeguarding too and written permission from parents, I saw it on one of the checkists 'Assistants' on the Pacey members page, have a look at it.

bunyip
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I read that if they are to be alone with children they will need Safeguarding too and written permission from parents, I saw it on one of the checkists 'Assistants' on the Pacey members page, have a look at it.

This is interesting.

Safeguarding courses have to be approved by our LA's. My own LA only approves its own in-house safeguarding course, but won't accept CM assistants on the course (except to fill up last-minute drop-outs) because the LA says it's not necessary for assistant to do safeguarding.

Hmmmm......... pacey's checklist wouldn't have something to do with pacey selling an online training course would it? No - of course not. How cynical of me to suggest............... :rolleyes:

unalindura77
12-01-2014, 04:52 PM
This is interesting.

Safeguarding courses have to be approved by our LA's. My own LA only approves its own in-house safeguarding course, but won't accept CM assistants on the course (except to fill up last-minute drop-outs) because the LA says it's not necessary for assistant to do safeguarding.

Hmmmm......... pacey's checklist wouldn't have something to do with pacey selling an online training course would it? No - of course not. How cynical of me to suggest............... :rolleyes:

Ahhhh! I see :idea::idea:

bunyip
13-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Ahhhh! I see :idea::idea:

In short, I would check what's required by your LA and Ofsted (the latter probably have some vague flim-flam about assistants having to be "suitably trained, blah-di-blah..."

IME pacey, many DO's and a lot of the wider childcare industry practitioners struggle to differentiate between "must", "should" and "that'd be nice, wouldn't it." :(