PDA

View Full Version : Numbers, need a fast answer please!!

bulldog
12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I only ever have 2 children, now had frantic call from a parent of 2 of my children that need cover tomorrow.

I would therefore have 4 under 5 and im not sure how this new number thing affects me, because its never been relevant!!

Id have 2 bothers (4 and 2)
a 3yr old
a 2yr old.

The 4yr old would go to school tho at 1pm.

Ive said ok, but now having a panic attack thinking im breaking some rule! Arghhhh help!:panic:

yummyripples
12-01-2014, 12:43 PM
I think if you risk assess it and let the other parents know then you are allowed.
I know a lot of minders who regularly do this

Rick
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
So long as all children are already on your books and they just need an extra day then it is fine. You should do a risk assessment to make sure you have enough resources etc and inform other parents. Have a read of this which contains a sample letter and risk assessment

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Changing%20conditions%20of%20registration%20from%2 009.2012.pdf

bulldog
12-01-2014, 01:43 PM
So long as all children are already on your books and they just need an extra day then it is fine. You should do a risk assessment to make sure you have enough resources etc and inform other parents. Have a read of this which contains a sample letter and risk assessment

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Changing%20conditions%20of%20registration%20from%2 009.2012.pdf

They need cover in the morning!
I cant start getting permission or canvas opinion from 2 other parents at a weekend, or surely be expected too?
The cover is for 4hrs and after that I will be down to 3 again.

sing-low
12-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Yes, this is what you are expected to do. Either phone other parents or say no to the ones who are asking for cover.

moggy
12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
If the 4yo is at fulltime school he doesn't count in eyfs numbers anyway... Surely? So 3x eyfs young children + 1 fulltime schoolie = not over numbers at all.

Sorry, edited as see 4yo is not fulltime school.

pinkellifun
12-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I spoke to Ofsted about this a couple of months ago and I was told that, so long as you have done a risk assessment to cover all possible risks, then so long as you do not, under any circumstancesm go over 6 under the age of 8, regardless of age, then you are covered. They said parents do not need to be informed unless you wish to do so.

Naturally, every person you speak to at Ofsted will probably give you a slightly difference answer. But as far as I'm concerned, I have the name of the person I spoke to and I am happy with what they told me.

I would say do it, just do an extra risk assessment to cover yourself and if you want to, mention it to parents in the morning. If the parents are happy with you, then they shouldn't have a problem with you being able to manage.

Just my opinion though :)

loocyloo
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I talk to all my parents when we sign contracts to explain about going over my numbers/variations etc and that it only happens for existing children and if that selection of children would work well together. I ask them to trust me and point out that any parent could need an extra day. I ask them to sign to say we have discussed it and that I will tell them when I will be having more children.
All my parents are happy with this.
I complete a risk assessment ( similar to one in the download above ) and then give all parents a note saying that on x day, between y am & z pm, n will be coming to play.

Rick
12-01-2014, 02:37 PM
I spoke to Ofsted about this a couple of months ago and I was told that, so long as you have done a risk assessment to cover all possible risks, then so long as you do not, under any circumstancesm go over 6 under the age of 8, regardless of age, then you are covered. They said parents do not need to be informed unless you wish to do so.

Naturally, every person you speak to at Ofsted will probably give you a slightly difference answer. But as far as I'm concerned, I have the name of the person I spoke to and I am happy with what they told me.

I would say do it, just do an extra risk assessment to cover yourself and if you want to, mention it to parents in the morning. If the parents are happy with you, then they shouldn't have a problem with you being able to manage.

Just my opinion though :)

You have to be careful though as an inspector may disregard it if you tell them a person from Ofsted has said you can go over your numbers for new business. Normally it's a no for new business, yes for continuity of care. It won't be the Ofsted representative who will get downgraded, it will be the person being inspected

Smiley
12-01-2014, 06:18 PM
As others have said, it's only allowed for existing families and not for new business

VeggieSausage
12-01-2014, 09:20 PM
If they are new then this could be their settling in day.....