PDA

View Full Version : Bitten off more than I can chew?

unalindura77
12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
I've had to employ an assistant as coming up from March I will have four under 5's for 3 days a week...now I am worried. Do any of you do this?
On of the four will be under 1 and the others will be walkers between 1-2. I know it'll be a challenge but I want to be confident and feel like I can do it, which I did but now nerves are settling in.

I'm sure plenty of you guys do this perfectly well?

shortstuff
12-01-2014, 09:20 AM
I did it for 8 months. Its all aboit pkanning and being very organised. You also have to have the utmost faith in your assistant.

You also need enough equipment such as high chairs, push chairs and cots.

It is very challenging along with very rewarding. But I admit im glad to be back down to numbers where I work alone again. I can go out in the car so can go to more places etc.

blue bear
12-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I have never had an assistant but have had four under five (variation fom ofsted) it is all about planning and risk assessing, I used the car a lot more to get out and about, lots of thinking how you give each child individual time, so play games with older ones while younger ones nap etc.

unalindura77
12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I have never had an assistant but have had four under five (variation fom ofsted) it is all about planning and risk assessing, I used the car a lot more to get out and about, lots of thinking how you give each child individual time, so play games with older ones while younger ones nap etc.

Thanks guys, those 2-3 days of the week will be the hardest, but hopefully like you both suggest having to be super organised will be very important. I'm going to have only 2 kids for the rest of the week so that will be less stressful!

The Juggler
12-01-2014, 12:22 PM
i did it on my own 4 days a week for 18 months. i had 1 x 8 months, 1 x 1 year, 2 x 3 year olds but not as young as yours. It's flipping hard work. It was easier physically as they aged but harder planning wise with 2 x 2 year olds and 2 x 4 year olds. The littlies fought all the time and the older two were ready for more structured play so different challenges

Mummits
12-01-2014, 12:37 PM
I found having an assistant the biggest challenge. I was thinking of taking on more children as we have loads of space and resources, but thought I would take on an assistant first and see how it went for a few months before increasing numbers so I would be reliant. With hindsight that was the best idea as she turned out to be really unreliable despite talking a good job and having a glowing reference, and it has totally put me off being reliant on someone I don't know (DH is also my assistant and he seems to be working out well!). So I would say the most important thing to work out is where you stand if your assistant is late/sick/goes awol and bear in mind that their reliability will have an impact on your reputation. Annual leave (when they can take it, how much notice needed?) is also an issue, and of course they get paid leave which needs to be taken into account financially and logistically. The paperwork involved in employing somebody else is a pain in the bum too, and I understand it has just got more burdensome with a new PAYE system.

Sorry to be so negative, but my advice would be don't!

unalindura77
12-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks Mummits, that is food for thought. I didn't mention before but assistant is too my DH! So I will be able to rely on. Still though it will be a challenge, one good thing is that this is tto only.

Still though, I just hope we can manage things like playgroups etc. Ah well we'll see how it pans out and hopefully we'll be able...