PDA

View Full Version : Easily pleased!

maisiemog
11-01-2014, 04:09 PM
I finally have my notice board up on the wall! I brought it 3 years ago!!! He's also put the kids coat hooks up as well today and went out for more ink for the printer this morning as well! As I speak he's building my new shelving unit for toys to go on and tomorrow he's building my new slide! It's amazing what a man can do when you tell him he isn't allowed to watch the football til it's done! I have noticed he's left all the clearing up afterwards to me though!

ja-lula-belli
11-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Haha! Sounds like my husband. X

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

funemnx
11-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Ohh haven't tried that threat yet - must give it a try! :D

sing-low
11-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Best way to get mine to do DIY is to start doing it (badly) myself. He soon gets frustrated and takes over!

maisiemog
11-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Best way to get mine to do DIY is to start doing it (badly) myself. He soon gets frustrated and takes over!

That's how the decorating gets done in this house but I'm not allowed near his tools else I would do it myself!

dawn100
11-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Yes I've used that trick as well, my husband normally tufts and says its a man job and I point out to him that if men did the mans jobs there would be no need for a woman to do it!

munch149
11-01-2014, 08:45 PM
It's a nightmare getting my oh to do anything. Took him a year and a half to build my trampoline. Most things I will do myself if I can as get fed up waiting. Can't use threats as would just cause a row. Worst time ever was
When we moved when I was 7 months pregnant. Had loads of new furniture and struggled to build any of it myself. It was christmas too and we had planned on doing christmas for 12 people. Not my best of ideas lol

Daisy1956
11-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Buy a new gadget they can't resist taking over. Today I used my new kracher window vac for the first time had only cleaned two windows when hubby took over doing them , now I just need a new ironing gadget then he can takeover doing that as well.

bunyip
12-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Well I got a new Ergorapido vac for Christmas and I love it.

Anyone want to follow that with a bit more his-ogony? :rolleyes:

cathtee
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I'll get nothing done then! my dh doesn't watch any sport, I'll have to put a ban on something else:blush::laughing:

weedotes
12-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Well I got a new Ergorapido vac for Christmas and I love it.

Anyone want to follow that with a bit more his-ogony? :rolleyes:

Don't know if this counts but I once told my husband I loved my job but needed an outside interest ...he bought me a new lawn mower .

loocyloo
13-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Don't know if this counts but I once told my husband I loved my job but needed an outside interest ...he bought me a new lawn mower .

That just made me laugh out loud. Dh asked why ... I told him and his response ... You wouldn't want one ! ... That just made me laugh even more. Sorry wee dotes!

LauraS
13-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Is there really such things as men's jobs (or women's jobs) anymore? We are living in the 21st century, are we not?

Having three daughters, I've always been really careful to set the example that they can do anything (almost) that a man can do, and be self sufficient. We all play to our strengths and weaknesses, I know, but I know lots of women who make excuses about not being able to do DIY and it being a mans job, when really it is an excuse for them not to bother trying.

I probably do more of the DIY that dh. Just as well cos he's a bit of a bodger. I do much more of the gardening and cooking but I enjoy those, dh does more with the car but he drives it, and we both shop, clean and care for the children equally.

I remember that when my father left my mother when I was a teenager, she fell apart with the 'men's' tasks. I couldn't understand how a clever resourceful woman with a degree and a high powered job couldn't teach herself to hang a curtain rail or change a plug, just because she lacked a certain anatomical part. Equally, why my father in law can't sew a button on his shirt just because he has the anatomical part in question?

Sorry for the slightly off topic rant :)

shortstuff
13-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Is there really such things as men's jobs (or women's jobs) anymore? We are living in the 21st century, are we not?

Having three daughters, I've always been really careful to set the example that they can do anything (almost) that a man can do, and be self sufficient. We all play to our strengths and weaknesses, I know, but I know lots of women who make excuses about not being able to do DIY and it being a mans job, when really it is an excuse for them not to bother trying.

I probably do more of the DIY that dh. Just as well cos he's a bit of a bodger. I do much more of the gardening and cooking but I enjoy those, dh does more with the car but he drives it, and we both shop, clean and care for the children equally.

I remember that when my father left my mother when I was a teenager, she fell apart with the 'men's' tasks. I couldn't understand how a clever resourceful woman with a degree and a high powered job couldn't teach herself to hang a curtain rail or change a plug, just because she lacked a certain anatomical part. Equally, why my father in law can't sew a button on his shirt just because he has the anatomical part in question?

I personally worked doing a job considered mens work for 15 years before changing to cming. I fixed big heavy machinery. I got fed up for being put down for it. But I felt so satisfied when a 16 stone man asked if I had tightened some bolts as he couldn't undo them. I should point out that im only 4'10". Needless to say the daft comments stopped that day.
Oh and I fix my own car too.

bunyip
13-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Is there really such things as men's jobs (or women's jobs) anymore?

:)

According to some fellow "professionals" that I've met, yes there are.

I was one training course and walked in after a break to find a gaggle of "professionals" opinionating about how men are not "emotionally or biologically suited" to looking after children. :p

My favourite was the woman who'd been a CM since biblical times (on a diversity course, of all things) who said, "I suppose you must be gay."
To which I came back, "...only if you're not." :D

WibbleWobble
13-01-2014, 11:02 AM

I was one training course and walked in after a break to find a gaggle of "professionals" opinionating about how men are not "emotionally or biologically suited" to looking after children. :p

My favourite was the woman who'd been a CM since biblical times (on a diversity course, of all things) who said, "I suppose you must be gay."

fabulous!

btw Mr wobble is a fab DIYer...he knows i can do it but he takes great pride in doing any odd jobs for me....it must be his inner caveman. And i dont moan...he is flippin brilliant

wibble xxx

dawn100
13-01-2014, 12:48 PM

I am more than capable of doing DIY jobs and cutting the grass etc, my dad died when I was 10 so me and my mum had to learn and get on with it. But when it comes to the house, I cook, sort the kids out, washing etc my husband does the DIY, cuts the grass, fixes things etc, but when there's a big project we happily and regularly work together. I see nothing wrong with that split and we are both happy. Whilst i can do the basics of diy my husband is really quite skilled. Some jobs he prefers to others but he hates watching other do a job he can do, even driving at work he has to be the driver! So if there is a job he's been putting off I will start it, and then he likes to wind me up and say things like let a man do a mans job which use to really wind me up (hence why he would say it) now I just say well if men did their jobs there would be no need for a woman to it! That soon shuts him up.

dawn100
13-01-2014, 12:53 PM

When I was on my initial cm training course there were two men and I could not believe the questions people asked them, I was shocked, are you gay? Can't you get any other job? Etc one of them I still see from time to time (live other side of the city) and how he interacts with the kids is one of the best cm I have ever met, however people still sadly question his reasons.

k-tots
13-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I am more than capable of doing DIY jobs and cutting the grass etc, my dad died when I was 10 so me and my mum had to learn and get on with it. But when it comes to the house, I cook, sort the kids out, washing etc my husband does the DIY, cuts the grass, fixes things etc, but when there's a big project we happily and regularly work together. I see nothing wrong with that split and we are both happy. Whilst i can do the basics of diy my husband is really quite skilled. Some jobs he prefers to others but he hates watching other do a job he can do, even driving at work he has to be the driver! So if there is a job he's been putting off I will start it, and then he likes to wind me up and say things like let a man do a mans job which use to really wind me up (hence why he would say it) now I just say well if men did their jobs there would be no need for a woman to it! That soon shuts him up.

Snap....the only other thing my dh does is he puts the kids to bed apart from two nights a week x

Daisy1956
13-01-2014, 02:27 PM
I can do the jobs but if dh wants to do them who am I to spoil his fun. Only thing he is never ever ever allowed to do is weed the garden it is like a waste land when he is finished and my poor seeding that I haved nurtured are gone.

k-tots
13-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Oh and he is NOT allowed to put a wash in.......hes like his mother. ...any colour in.....lights with dark jeans= blue wash colour clothing :-/ lol