PDA

View Full Version : level 3, do we all have to do it this year???

TJF
11-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi all, I think Ive heard that all childminders have to have started their level 3 diploma by the end of this year, is that correct??? xx

moggy
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi all, I think Ive heard that all childminders have to have started their level 3 diploma by the end of this year, is that correct??? xx

No, the only definite requirement for CM childcare qualifications is what is stated in the EYFS- the course specified by the LA which is usually CYPOP5.

LAs may ask for Level 3 in relation to offering 2/3/4yr old funded places.

There have been rumours and ideas about requiring higher qualifications for CMers but nothing is decided.

Goatgirl
11-01-2014, 03:15 PM
nope, no requirement as yet. :)

Which is lucky, because I work a 50 hour week contact time with mindees, plus set up time, cleaning time, organising resources time, researching what ofsted/our local authority's latest demands are time, doing my accounts time, working out invoices and checking whether they have been paid time, communicating with parents politely about when they might like to pay time, planning and working out what activities will work with the children I have (varies week to week), researching activities, sourcing resources for activities, shopping for resources for activities, other equipment and food (also varies week to week)!. I reckon that's an esy 70 hours/week.

Outside that, I am trying to study and complete assignments for my OU degree (20 hours/week). Failing pretty badly as have no time or energy btw and to do all the normal housework, speak to my children occasioally :D, manage to maintain a relationship with my fiance who lives elsewhere with his children and I'm ashamed to say not managing to keep up with any of my friends: even my poor mum and step -dad who live a ten minute walk away only see us once a fortnight for 2 1/2 hours for dinner :rolleyes:
I personally may have no choice but to give up childminding if the level 3 becomes compulsory. There simply isn't the time.

Simona
11-01-2014, 05:29 PM
nope, no requirement as yet. :)

Which is lucky, because I work a 50 hour week contact time with mindees, plus set up time, cleaning time, organising resources time, researching what ofsted/our local authority's latest demands are time, doing my accounts time, working out invoices and checking whether they have been paid time, communicating with parents politely about when they might like to pay time, planning and working out what activities will work with the children I have (varies week to week), researching activities, sourcing resources for activities, shopping for resources for activities, other equipment and food (also varies week to week)!. I reckon that's an esy 70 hours/week.

Outside that, I am trying to study and complete assignments for my OU degree (20 hours/week). Failing pretty badly as have no time or energy btw and to do all the normal housework, speak to my children occasioally :D, manage to maintain a relationship with my fiance who lives elsewhere with his children and I'm ashamed to say not managing to keep up with any of my friends: even my poor mum and step -dad who live a ten minute walk away only see us once a fortnight for 2 1/2 hours for dinner :rolleyes:
I personally may have no choice but to give up childminding if the level 3 becomes compulsory. There simply isn't the time.

If you are doing the OU degree you must already have a Level 3 in Childcare or is the degree in something else?

In reply to the other post LAs may require a level 3 but it is the grade at inspection that allows CMs to draw funding not their qualifications...if they insist on level 3 they may make the situation with the funding for 2 year olds worse...there aren't enough CMs coming forward so it may backfire and 2 year olds will end up in schools...No !

I would like to see the level 3 become compulsory for CMs...I know many do not agree and I am going to be unpopular saying so but...I also would like it to have assignments around 'home based' childcare and time given to CMs to study ...wishful thinking I know!

We should also wait to see what the new Early Years Educator (EYE) entails...from what I have seen and heard it could be more challenging and interesting.

TJF
11-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone, I agree totally Goatgirl, I feel the same. xxxx

Smiley
11-01-2014, 10:55 PM
A few years ago 2015 was suggested as a date for childminders to have a level 3 but that was put back and has vanished. I think it's unfortunate that it hasn't gone ahead as at the time it was giving childminders about 5 years notice.

Simona
11-01-2014, 11:08 PM
A few years ago 2015 was suggested as a date for childminders to have a level 3 but that was put back and has vanished. I think it's unfortunate that it hasn't gone ahead as at the time it was giving childminders about 5 years notice.

You are right....It was indeed the previous govt's intention to make it so by 2015 then....in came Truss and all got put back taken us back years.
Despite Prof Nutbrown's recommendations in her fabulous report Truss ignored that one too.

CMs are the only ones in the sector fighting against a Level 3, in daycare provision achieving it means higher pay, it could work for CMs too and enable them to get higher fees

jackie 7
11-01-2014, 11:33 PM
I do think we should have a level 3 but many don't want to as they know they can do the job the hour it. Also the funding had gone. I paid neatly £1000 to doing as I went backwards. Did OU degree first then found out I needed a level 3 to work in a nursery. ET doesn't want us to be better qualified than nursery staff as it would show that agencies are not needed. And I do think that with the experience we all have we are better than most nursery workers.

k-tots
12-01-2014, 07:07 AM
I personally am not the academic type...more hands on pickibg things up quickly. ..I hate any type of pw ...if level 3 compulsory then I would have to give up and stack shelfs....as im still struggling woth the eyfs....been on additional courses run by la....I struggle to explain obs but can link them to the eyfs ...from the help of sheets from sarah707... iykwim...I would write...child a has climb the steps then link it to physical. ..I havent got the ability to think of anything further and my next steps would be other climbing equipment. X

Simona
12-01-2014, 09:29 AM
I do think we should have a level 3 but many don't want to as they know they can do the job the hour it. Also the funding had gone. I paid neatly £1000 to doing as I went backwards. Did OU degree first then found out I needed a level 3 to work in a nursery. ET doesn't want us to be better qualified than nursery staff as it would show that agencies are not needed. And I do think that with the experience we all have we are better than most nursery workers.

You are right that many want to just do the job but what a level 3 gives you is a bit of extra knowledge that can be added to 'hands on' practice.
I believe this tips the balance slightly when we build a professional relationship with parents...yes they are the first educators but we also hold knowledge that cannot be ignored.

My belief is that CMs will always be the cinderellas of the sector because of the way our care is perceived and the fact no one has ever been determined enough to decide we too must hold qualifications....no one can manage a nursery without a level 3 minimum...but with that there are many things they would never be asked to do compared to a cm whose title envelops so many roles

Also the level 3 has been made very boring...I have supported someone briefly and I found it tedious as she too was bored and not challenged
In addition it now costs a lot of money to do level 3 (around £1000) but ......you should enquire as there is still money from LAs and it is given to nurseries, so do not attempt to pay unless you have found out

This is another one of the questions Truss and DfE should be asked when it comes to agencies....even @HomeChildcare, who is trialling an agency, does say level 3 is funded...so why should it be funded for their members and not ICMs? this is another vital point we have missed while concerned about agencies...it is the way to create a 2 tier system in my view

jackie 7
12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I was so lucky when I did my level 3. At first we had a rubbish tutor then got a fantastic one. I was also lucky that my nanny boss allowed me to change my hours so I could go to college 1 day a week and volunteer at a local school in reception. I learned so much but it was hard work. I didn't finish my nanny job until 9 most evenings. It is a hard enough course but now they have made it boring the people doing it will now finish it. Or is that shat ET wants?

bunyip
12-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Anybody fancy a sweepstake on how long it will be before this old chestnut raises its head again? :rolleyes:

Rick
12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Anybody fancy a sweepstake on how long it will be before this old chestnut raises its head again? :rolleyes:

I've nearly finished it anyway but I expect it won't be long!

Ripeberry
12-01-2014, 01:17 PM
If it ever becomes compulsory for everyone then I can't see how they can make us! I'm not spending lots of money on something I might not be doing in 5 years time. I'm in my late 40s I'm not doing this for the long run. I keep myself up to date by reading and coming on here. I don't need a piece of paper to prove what I can do.

rickysmiths
12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
They will never make it compulsory for existing childminders. Why? Because there is no way they can enforce it in a Self Employed workforce without loosing 1000's of childcare places overnight.

What are they going to do say after xxx date any cm without a level 3 is automatically de registered? They know they can't do this there would be an outrage from all the parents who would suddenly have no childcare. This is why the date that was originally set was never adhered to and never will be.

There was a time when all Teachers had to do a degree to become qualified but they did not at that point sack all the existing Certificated Teachers who had qualified by going to Teacher Training College, nor did they make them all go off and do a degree either option would have been daft.

Many professions increase the entry requirements over the years and existing staff are updated via ongoing professional training and also have years of experience.

I don't know why this subject keeps raising its head.

There is nothing stopping those who want to do it doing it if they can get funding or have the funding. Age is no barrier I did it when I was 56!! I never thought I would be doing something like a L3 at my age and my children who were doing GCSEs and A Levels at the time thought it was amazing that their old mum was taking exams and doing assignments as well.

bunyip
13-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Frankly, I have no idea what the level 3 is supposed to contribute to our ability as members of the "children & young people's workforce" (which always struck me as sounding like some some of junior chain gang. :p )

I strongly suspect 'someone' at the Dept for Ed decided the country needed a "more highly skilled and qualified workforce" and left a couple of junior civil serpents and the odd whisky-addled educational academic to cobble together this tin-pot certificate. It probably all sounded very good and proper and, by charging us 'learners' represented a cheap way for the regime to be seen to be doing the right thing whilst offering another nice little earner for the private training firms whose contribution to the sum of human knowledge is not to propagate it but rather to commodify it.

My own experience of level 3, examples thereof:-

My 1st assignment was rejected for being, in the words of my assessor, "too advanced for this level." In other words, they don't want us to be too intelligent, think at all or discuss ideas.

A very poignant incident occurred at one of the safeguarding seminar/workshops. A young nursery worker stood up and questioned why we had to be taught all this stuff, saying that "no-one should be allowed within 50 metres of a child unless they already know it like the back of their hand." True dat. :thumbsup:

My safeguarding assignment was failed, cos I used the Little Ted's Nursery case study "in an inappropriate manner." My crime? I pointed out that the case provided strong evidence that the level of women's involvement in child abuse was seriously underestimated, thus putting children at risk. I also argued that the over-reliance on CRBs put children at risk. Simply assuming that a mother with a clean CRB was an "angel" and couldn't possibly harm a child was a very strong contributory factor in what led to those children being harmed. It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that I was very much 'off message' and that I would not pass unless I demonstrated an unflinching faith in the power of the CRB certificate to protect children. :mad:

Goatgirl
13-01-2014, 08:21 AM
If you are doing the OU degree you must already have a Level 3 in Childcare or is the degree in something else?

Hi Simona :),
Its an 'open' degree - embarked on for fun many moons ago, when there was still time for fun AND work - includes a range of subjects e.g. natural science ( I have a 'certificate' in this, so the OU tell me, not sure what use it is for anything though :D!), psychology, creative writing, a short course on the autistic spectrum, an introduction to counselling course, and currently more creative writing, which is unfortunately not really happening for me as I need energy and time to 'create' and there's just not enough of either to go round at the moment :rolleyes:.

Kiddleywinks
13-01-2014, 08:28 AM
That's a dangerous way of thinking!
(Safeguarding issue lol)

Anyone with half a brain realises that a crb check is only as good as the information available on the day it's carried out, it is not the be all and end all of any profession.

dawn100
13-01-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm currently doing the level 3, have been to all my evening sessions now just got the remainder of the assignments to finish- have I learnt much from it? No not really, felt like most of it was like teaching your granny how to suck boiled eggs, half a session was on how to write RA- I'd done that at my cypop5 and have a folder of them, another session was on safeguarding but didn't go into half the detail as my safe guarding training that I did before I started cm, I just found most of the stuff I knew already. I really don't feel it's been much of a benefit to me - I'm not against training or saying I can't learn anything because I already know it far from it but I really felt like the level 3 was aimed at people with no experience of children or childcare and therefore not much benefit to me. It contrast I went on a 6 week language and communication course ran by speech therapists and feel I learnt so much more on that and it has benefitted the children in my care so much that I think the course should be run so more people get the chance to go on it but sadly like many things the funding was pulled after one course and its far more than most are willing to spend on a course.

Bunyip- I can't believe people delivering the training are making people regard crb's like that - its just scary; I've always disliked how people deem people with crb's as 100% safe and you should never question someones actions if they have a crb as someone who has raped, abused or murdered could get a all clear with a crb and could feel confident in applying for one if they know they have never been convicted - just got to look at the figures of unsolved crime! Sorry personal bug bearer of mine!

Simona
13-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I cannot believe what I am reading.....why have they changed the NVQ 3 so much to make it so unappealing?

OK I did mine a while back but my God it was challenging, tough and hard work and I learnt a lot from it....my huge portfolio is still used for reference, we really had to look at child development in a serious way, do a age by age development chart and research an awful lot.

I enjoyed my tutor coming to assess me at home and although I took a long time to finish it...my fault really for letting it go that far....it was a good experience and an excellent preparation for my Foundation Degree
No way I could say it taught me to 'suck eggs'...I can appreciate the disinterest people are feeling but I also understand why those who were at Uni and had done a recent version of the NVQ 3 were not as prepared as I think I was

What a shame because it sounds to me like to make it more accessible they have also diluted its content....lets see what the new Level 3 will offer

Thanks Goatgirl....I thought it was...maybe I will go down that route too and deviate from childcare

bunyip
13-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Bunyip- I can't believe people delivering the training are making people regard crb's like that - its just scary; I've always disliked how people deem people with crb's as 100% safe and you should never question someones actions if they have a crb as someone who has raped, abused or murdered could get a all clear with a crb and could feel confident in applying for one if they know they have never been convicted - just got to look at the figures of unsolved crime! Sorry personal bug bearer of mine!

Absolutely. Ian Huntley, Jimmy Saville, and his driver would all have got clean CRBs. It only proves you've not yet been caught. :panic:

OTOH there's the head of that 'special school' who was never convicted of anything but is now barred from working with children and vulnerable adults. 2 parents made accusations and could prove nothing. He was barred cos he couldn't prove that he hadn't done anything. In other owrds, you can be struck off for simply being alone with a child. Where on goD's Earth does that leave us. :eek:

I agree about the Egg-Sucking qualification. I think a lot of it is making sure we all 'sing from the same hymn-sheet' and toe the party line on childcare matters. Even my assessor admitted she spend more time on 'functional skills' (ie. teaching people to write their own name) than passing on useful guidance on childcare. :(

rickysmiths
13-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I cannot believe what I am reading.....why have they changed the NVQ 3 so much to make it so unappealing?

OK I did mine a while back but my God it was challenging, tough and hard work and I learnt a lot from it....my huge portfolio is still used for reference, we really had to look at child development in a serious way, do a age by age development chart and research an awful lot.

I enjoyed my tutor coming to assess me at home and although I took a long time to finish it...my fault really for letting it go that far....it was a good experience and an excellent preparation for my Foundation Degree
No way I could say it taught me to 'suck eggs'...I can appreciate the disinterest people are feeling but I also understand why those who were at Uni and had done a recent version of the NVQ 3 were not as prepared as I think I was

What a shame because it sounds to me like to make it more accessible they have also diluted its content....lets see what the new Level 3 will offer

Thanks Goatgirl....I thought it was...maybe I will go down that route too and deviate from childcare

This is a requirement in the new Level 3 Simona in fact it is one of the longer Units. However it is a qualification aimed at 16 year old's with no experience to be able to access, so those of us with many years of childcare experience would not find it that much of a challenge.

I did it 2 years ago and had to sit external Level 2 Maths and English exams as well because my 'O'Levels and higher level College qualifications in these subjects was apparently out of date! I did no revision for any of the three exams and passed all of them very easily though there were younger girls on the course who failed and had to retake? The Units for the Diploma were not challenging at all and those of us who tried to extend the information, like bunyip, were reined in. I found the Units very repetitive and laborious, I would never refer to my huge folder! No need! It was very much a means to an end for me because at the time I started the course it was a requirement to be able to deliver the 3-4 yr Funding. This condition was removed as I finished the course. :laughing:

As a long standing childminder I am not sorry I have got the piece of paper. I am finding more and more prospective parents are asking if I have it, it seems to mean more to some than my 20 years childcare experience which I find very sad but that is life. I think it will become more like this as Agencies come into being as it is seen as a benchmark of quality sadly.

Many of the people on my course in the end were young Nursery workers, it started with 14 childminders but all but 5 of us dropped out, some for family reasons, but the others were young with 0 to 12 months working as a cm. The five of us who finished the course were all very experienced childminders which was very sad. The Nursery workers who came in to fill the spaces were on the whole very young and to be honest i was quite shocked at their behaviour and attitude on the study days and the way they talked about the Nurseries they worked in. I began to wonder why most of them were working with children and I would love to have known how many of them finished the course.

dawn100
13-01-2014, 11:58 AM

I'm not saying its quick or easy, there is alot of work involved and yes research involved and there are some things I have learnt but when you consider how many hours it has taken the vast majority hasn't really taught me much. On my course were a mix of young nursery workers and cm and the majority of us cm were bored because due to our own experiences we knew alot of it anyway. I have volunteered in the childrens and youth sector for over 10 years, worked with vunerable adults and have 3 children of my own, so I have lots of experience compared to a 16 yr old leaving school but I had hoped I would still learn from it and find it useful. But sadly all I feel like I've done it for is the piece of paper. I have been on other shorter courses which I have found far more useful but the piece of paper that comes with them isn't seen as valuable as the level 3. Will I use my portfolio as reference probably not, on the other hand the book I got to go with the course I might do.
I got very disheartened when I completed one of my first assignments and was told by my assessor to keep them shorter as I didn't need to include so much into as it was only a level 3 I was doing so didn't need it in that much detail!

Simona
13-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I feel there is a lot of negativity about the NVQ 3 while my experience was positive and enjoyable in addition to actually teaching me a lot....all I wanted was to exchange info and find out why many cms are not that worried about getting to that level.

As for my portfolio...yes I use it often as I also use my FDegree essays and notes because they were useful and still very pertinent to todays practice.

I will contact a colleague who is doing the level 3 right now and look into further but when I recently asked her if she was doing any Child development the answer was no...could it be that different providers offer a different content? I don't know but I would like to find out because I am interested in this subject.

Thank you for all your comments

mrs robbie williams
13-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm currently doing mine but am finding my assessor really frustrating, I'm keen to plough through assignments as want to get it finished while I've Tuesdays off, but she takes ages to mark it and when I query it all I get is 'I do have 35 learners on my books' ok fair enough but not really my problem, and she said do t submit more than one as it messes up the system!! Very frustrating when u just want to get on so now I'm just doing them in order when I get time and submitting them when she finally gets round to setting me the next task xx

shortstuff
13-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Im in the middle of completing mine at the moment and to be fair im learning some things but just putting some current knowledge down in the correct format for other parts. The biggest challenge im finding with it is the time to focus and complete the work as required.

bunyip
14-01-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm currently doing mine but am finding my assessor really frustrating, I'm keen to plough through assignments as want to get it finished while I've Tuesdays off, but she takes ages to mark it and when I query it all I get is 'I do have 35 learners on my books' ok fair enough but not really my problem, and she said do t submit more than one as it messes up the system!! Very frustrating when u just want to get on so now I'm just doing them in order when I get time and submitting them when she finally gets round to setting me the next task xx

I do feel for you, though I kinda sympathise with the assessors too, to a degree.

I think my assessor found the whole experience as dull and depressing as I did. She had a huge amount of experience and knowledge, yet was reduced to trying to get us all to regurgitate the "required criteria" in as efficient a way as possible. At one point I said to her, "you really just want us copy out the course book without it looking as if we've just copied out the course book, don't you?" Her reply was along the lines of: "you can say that, but I couldn't possibly suggest it."

Her manager spent the whole time leaning on her to get the maximum number of 'learners' in and out the door in the fastest possible time. She was at pains to ensure we submitted the assignments in the most efficient sequence. That's cos certain 'criteria' count for a number of different 'study units' and once you'd mentioned the criteria in one unit, it was ticked off in all the units it cropped up in IYSWIM. If she could save us duplicating in this way, she could process us more quickly.

But then the training company worked against this by the order in which it scheduled the seminars/workshops. I spent weeks on the safeguarding units, only to go on the workshop after I'd done the written assignments. Had I done it the other way round, then I'd have already been credited with 90% of the criteria before ever starting a written assignment.

My assessor said a lot of the course could be done during home/setting visits, where you can demonstrate a lot through practical work, paperwork, etc. but her manager only wanted her to do home visits to "tie up any loose ends" at the finish. :mad:

Totally empathy for Rickysmiths. I too only did level 3 for the certificate cos we needed it for accreditation to draw 3-4yo funding (which incidentally made me embarrassed cos I'd never before done any 'education' just for the piece of paper. :o ) I completed the level 3 less than a week before we found out that we could access funding without accreditation or level 3. :angry: A whole heap of unnecessary stress and wasted time - and I know I could've spent some of that time on preparing more activities, etc. for my mindees. :(

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I feel there is a lot of negativity about the NVQ 3 while my experience was positive and enjoyable in addition to actually teaching me a lot....all I wanted was to exchange info and find out why many cms are not that worried about getting to that level.

As for my portfolio...yes I use it often as I also use my FDegree essays and notes because they were useful and still very pertinent to todays practice.

I will contact a colleague who is doing the level 3 right now and look into further but when I recently asked her if she was doing any Child development the answer was no...could it be that different providers offer a different content? I don't know but I would like to find out because I am interested in this subject.

Thank you for all your comments

Shouldn't be because the content of the Diploma is the same who ever you do it with, different training providers can't change the basic Unit requirements. There are compulsory Units depending on if you are Nursery or CM but one of the biggest Units which all the cms on my course had to do was all on Child Development. One of the things we had to do was produce a table for 0 to 19 years putting in the different stages of development. We then had to explain how we would change an activity to suit the different age groups and other things I can't remember. It was quite detailed though it must be said not as detailed as the 0 to 3 training I did years ago.

Here it is:

Shared Core Units

Promote communication in children's and young people's settings
Promote equality and inclusion in children's and young people's settings
Engage in personal development in children's and young people's settings
Principles for implementing duty of care in children's and young people's settings

Children and Young People's Core Units

Understand child and young person development
Promote child and young person development
Understand how to safeguard the well-being of children and young people
Support children and young people's health and safety
Develop positive relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care.
Working together for the benefit of children and young people.
Understand how to support positive outcomes for children and young people

Everyone has to take all the above Units which add up to 28 of the 65 Credits needed to gain the L3, the Child Development one having the highest value of 4 Credits so you can see it is a big part of the Diploma.

The Unit on Child Development has these expected Learning Outcomes by the end of the Unit

1. Understand the expected pattern of development for children and young people from birth to 19 years.
2. Understand the factors that influence children and young people's development and how these affect practice.
3. Understand how to monitor children and young people's development and interventions that should take place if this is not following the expected pattern.
4. Understand the importance of early intervention to support speech, language and communication needs of children and young people.
5. Understand the potential effects of transitions on children and young people's development.

It considers that Child Development is fundamental to many aspects of working with children and young people and that this Unit will act as a reference for other Units within the qualification.

So you can see Understanding Child Development is actually fairly key to this Level 3 Diploma. I would seriously question any provider who does not put a very high emphasis on Child Development.

There are also 5 compulsory Units in the Early Years Mandatory Pathway Units one of which is ' Promote learning and development in the early years' worth 6 more points towards your eventual 65. Another Unit here is 'Support children's speech, language, and communication' which you can not do without a sound knowledge of child development.

So you can see the Diploma is fairly heavy on Child and Young People's Development. I am not sure how anyone who has done it or teaches it can even suggest it isn't and it is worrying to me if they are.

Oh all the detail above has been taken from Penny Tassoni's book Level 3 Diploma Children and the Young People's Workforce Early Learning and Childcare and this was the core text book we were advised to use for our course.

Simona
14-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Well I will declare my interest in this now...I am thinking of becoming an assessor and looking at the opportunities.

All your comments have helped a great deal and will greatly influence my decision!
Thank you

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 07:19 PM
I must add I enjoyed the 6 or 7 visits from my Assessor. I found them very positive and helpful in my practice. My assessor was someone who had worked for NCMA in my LA and went to work with the Training Company who delivered my course when my County sacked NCMA so she did have a very good understanding of how childminder's tick and I think that helped to put us all at ease a bit.

If any further info would be of any help please feel free to PM me.