PDA

View Full Version : Cats and child minding.

Glitter
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Hello,
My daughter would like to get a cat. I have done all the risk assessments and worked out how to keep the cat away from mindees during the day.

What else do I have to do and can anyone give me any advice on minding with cats in the house. Thank you.

Tinkerbell1979
11-01-2014, 01:20 PM
You must ensure all vaccinations, flea and worm treatments are upto date. I don't keep my cat away from minded children they love him but I do supervise the interaction because they are little and are sometimes rough and I don't want him lashing out with his claws.

helena_j
11-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I have a policy in pets (We have a cat also)
It mainly cover things like I will worm, flea treat cat etc, teaching children to respect animals i.e only to fuss animals if they come to them and I am present etc.
To be honest I have had no issues as our cat hides upstairs until children all leave lol, he is 8 now though.
Food bowls and cats things are kept out of reach of children and we don't have a litter tray in the house anymore either.
I also advertise and include the cat as part of our family and make sure people know we have a cat before any visits incase if allergies or generally not liking pets in home etc.
Hope some of that info helps. xx

tulip0803
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I have 4 cats! Again as the others said you need to ensure that they are wormed, vaccinated and flea treated regularly. I supervise the children with them. I ensure any litter tray is not accessible by the children. They are taught not to touch their food & water and to respect them. Wash hands after petting etc.

Some children have had a scratch but I talk to parents before they start and say that I will do my best to prevent but it can happen if the children are rough. I am in a rural area and most people have pets and the parents have not been bothered some say will do them good to learn. I do fill accident forms in when it happens it is rare though, think I have done 3 in 5 years. I tell parents from first contact that I have animals.

If you are letting the cat outside you will also need to poo check - our only outdoor cat has found a spot at the very end of the garden that she likes so it is a bit like having a dog!

Of my cats one will stay upstairs the whole time that children are here. One will come to visit them have a fuss she has been with me from a kitten and I was childminding when she came. One comes and goes likes a fuss then hides. The 4th I only got on Friday and we are getting to know each other (vacancy came available due to death of cat at new year).

Glitter
11-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I feel a little better about my daughter having a cat now, I was a little apprehensive about the cat being around the younger children but as long as I supervise them it should be fine.

Looks like we will be getting a cat soon:)