PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Care

jitterbug
09-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked,

I've been discussing this in great detail with my partner tonight, I would like to offer overnight care. I am aiming to be registered with Ofsted by April (fingers crossed but realistically expecting to be waiting longer!!)

Does anybody do this? Do you have to register to offer overnight care or is this not covered by Ofsted?

Many thanks :)

bunnyjess
09-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm registered but I've never had any enquiries for it. You have to register with ofsted for it

bunnyjess
09-01-2014, 10:25 PM
They'll be an option to

MessybutHappy
09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
I've done it, but only once I know the family and child well enough. I registered under the old eyfs and Mrs O "signed me off" for overnight at my grading inspection.
I find it quite wearing, you don't switch off, ever, but it may be an extra selling point!

jitterbug
10-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Thanks everyone,

I can imagine that it could be very wearing! I wouldn't switch off either I don't think.

We live between two large hospitals therefore was thinking that shift workers would find it useful, there doesn't appear to be any childminders in my area offering it so figured it could be my USP. Do I need to do anything special to offer it? I have a spare bedroom that I would use which has a lock on the door and I already have a stairgate at the top of my stairs for my two year old.

bunnyjess
10-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Why would you need a lock on the bedroom door?

watford wizz
10-01-2014, 07:47 AM
I regularly do overnight care, babies sleep in carry cot or big cot in my room older children sleep downstairs with me have sofa bed, downstairs shower room etc live near hosp and have found works well, also offer adoc for day timers,New Years Eve, other celebration times or emergencies. Not every one has family who can do this for them x I'd say go for it but be careful you don't over do it x

jitterbug
10-01-2014, 08:20 AM
My LA advised that I would need locks on all bedroom doors if I considered offering overnight care due to safeguarding!

bunnyjess
10-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Oh right. I just don't think id sleep due to worrying

dawn100
10-01-2014, 02:10 PM
My LA advised that I would need locks on all bedroom doors if I considered offering overnight care due to safeguarding!

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by locks on bedroom doors? Surely locks on bedroom doors are a fire hazard?

moggy
10-01-2014, 02:19 PM

What!!!??? FIRE HAZARD!!! Safeguarding for overnight care is covered by all adults in house being CRBed, children within sight/hearing of you (baby monitors), no visitors allowed unsupervised access etc.

A child locked in a bedroom is a potential fire disaster, and would be distressing for child if they tried to come out for help/upset etc.

If you are looking after much older children/young teens/teens then you may need to think through what they might get up to at night and about your own children.

jitterbug
11-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Totally agree and was shocked by this myself!!! I would never lock my own daughters door, it seems just cruel as well as what you say being a fire hazard! The feedback from my LA after I contacted them yday is that it is also required for foster parents too! Well, anyway, all of our bedroom doors have locks on as they were there when we moved in, however, I won't be using them :)