PDA

View Full Version : map making?

loocyloo
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi ... I have 4yr old mindee who is very into drawing treasure maps. Today we drew maps to find treasure in the woods, then using maps, compasses and magnifying glasses we looked for and found treasure (choc coins that 'fell' out of my pocket when noone was looking; 0) )
Mindee then drew a map from woods to our favourite coffee shop ; 0)

I've got and been doing lots of map activities and have ideas to follow on but I am having brain fade and can't think which area is covered! I thought understanding the world/ people & communities/ the world ( and when we use gps .. technology!) But also literacy, art & design ...? But I can't find anywhere it sits naturally if you know what i mean

Help!

lilac_dragon
09-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Watching this post with interest! I have a 3 yr old with a big interest in maps and am also puzzling how to log it.

DD is an ecologist so there's always maps around, and we've made our own for Treasure Hunting, finding our house and the school and to help Stick Man get home - which is what we're doing at the moment. I bought some PVC table covering with a map of the World printed on it, and we place the Happyland people on their appropriate countries and then talk about what animals live there, and see if there's any Youtube footage to accompany it for IT. So it all fits into bits and pieces but nowhere specific.