PDA

View Full Version : help with car seat !

ja-lula-belli
08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi I need some much needed advice!
A new child is due to start in my care , 4 Years old. The mum said she would provide me with a car seat. This she did but is a booster seat, I have done some research and it says group 2-3 so from ages 4 onwards. I've always used ones with high backs for children aged 4. What should I do?
Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Tazmin68
08-01-2014, 09:16 PM
It is your decision. A booster seat is appropriate for a 4 year old in this country the minimum weight it 15kg for booster seats. There was talk about stopping the booster seats but this country opted out of the Europe recommendation. The other option is that you provide what you feel is best either a high backed seat or your own booster seat. How do you know that parents one will fit in your car i have two different booster seats as one of mine will not fit the front passenger seat which one of my own children use. I never get parents to provide seats as I know what will fit correctly in my car. I have three big seats in my car and two booster seats as I would have difficulty getting the children into big seats due to the seat sliding mechanism in zaf iras.
Deb

loocyloo
08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I also only use my own car seats as I know they are safe ( ie not been dropped, in an accident etc ) and clean (a friend had a parent turn up with a car seat for her to use ... it reeked of smoke and was covered in food stains (some mouldy) crumbs and dog hair. I lent her my spare! ) and that it fits my car.

Tazmin68
08-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Plus the seat has to have the following label to be legal ECE R44 and 3 or 4. If it shows anything else even the 2 is now no longer legal

Deb

ja-lula-belli
09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I have the same problem the seat is really unclean in the exact way you have described. I think I'm going to have to buy one and going to give this one back. I'm really surprised that a mum would supply a car seat that is unsuitable. I said that I would supply a seat and she stopped me saying she had one she didn't use and taking up space in her house as she didn't have a car. I'm really shocked!

Tazmin68
09-01-2014, 09:12 AM
It is also good practice I am told to change seats every three years

Deb

smurfette
09-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I have the same problem the seat is really unclean in the exact way you have described. I think I'm going to have to buy one and going to give this one back. I'm really surprised that a mum would supply a car seat that is unsuitable. I said that I would supply a seat and she stopped me saying she had one she didn't use and taking up space in her house as she didn't have a car. I'm really shocked! Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

I gave back one like this provided by a mum.. It was an ancient thing prob in the attic since she was a kid! I didn't feel it was safe and at the end of the day it is our responsibility to make sure it is and if an accident happens it's on our head! So as not to cause a row or offend mum I said I had bought one which fit my car better. Annoying thing was she bought a new one for her mum who had Lo only twice a week and just drove her home.. I was doing three
Times a day for school runs, toddler groups etc and often on the motorway.. Mad!

k1rstie
09-01-2014, 12:59 PM
When I had a new run of lo's start, I was shocked at my seats when they came out of the garage.

I just took them down the dump, but first cut all the straps, so they would not be reused if pulled out of the refuse.

I bought two new ones. Better safe than mouldy!

KatieFS
09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Tamsin I have zafira - which car seats do you use in which seat in the car. If you use middle ones for fixed car sears you then can't move the middle seat back/forward.

ja-lula-belli
09-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks all I've put the car seat that was provided by mum in a plastic bag and I have bought a new one today. I'm not happy with it so I'm not going to use it!

Tazmin68
09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I put two big seats right at back and put one in middle row as and when I need it which is after to do school run in morning and take it back out before I do school run in afternoon as my little one attends 9.30-2.45. It's a pain but I just keep refitting it when need it I don't always have 3 children under 4 at the same time usually two so I'm usually fine. I use kiddicare own seat and it is very lightweight and easy to fit.