PDA

View Full Version : Wish i done .... From the start?

amyp
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Am just starting out, is there anything you wish you did regularly to keep up?

I am using a changing mat every time and washing hands between nappies- I didnt always do this!

Thanks

appletart88
08-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Great thread for a pre reg newbie like me!
I look forward to seeing other people replies :-)

maisiemog
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Keeping on top of paperwork...especially my accounts!

amyp
11-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeap I def need to do that one!

ja-lula-belli
11-01-2014, 08:17 AM
I swore to myself I would keep up to date with my paper work and especially my accounts but hey ho I never do. I am scheduling some time today to complete the stiff I haven't. Lol I seem to do them monthly when really I should III d weekly and daily but in reality it is difficult when you work such long hours with my own children too. Ahhhh!

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

blue bear
11-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Paper work.
Accounts have an envelope for eqch month put receipts straight in and write on the front the amount and what for (to be fair I used to and it did make life easier I am now just lazy)
Observations have a pr eprepared sheet on the fridge so can quickly write obs as they happen and do link when I have a quiet minute ( I still do this)
Planning, on the fridge write activity when see child's interst (I do this in my head mostly then forget)

Have a back bone from the beginning, able to use the word no and not let parents walk all over me, took me a very long time to even start doing this and I Definetly need more practice.

amyp
19-01-2014, 09:12 PM
First day tomorrow- let's see how this goes then!

ziggy
19-01-2014, 09:26 PM
be strong and dont trust what parents say.

Maza
19-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Got paid in advance.

trickiedickie
20-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Definately have a back bone. I am only newly registered (nearly 2 months) and only have one mindee.

Last Monday mindee was handed over to me (10 minutes before I start) bags handed across on front door step with the words"he had loads of chocolate yesterday as he was at 2 birthday parties. So he was sick about 8pm last night but absolutely fine since. He has eat his toast this morning and just fine". I looked at mindee he had big smile on his face, so I thought oh it probably was chocolate overload.

Tuesday late afternoon my 3 year old son started being sick. We had my daughter's 6th birthday party at 4pm. My husband had to come home from work, look after our 3 year old. I had to take my other children and the mindee to daughter's birthday party. So, my husband and son missed out on seeing my daughter on her birthday and at her party.

Then due a parent visit last Friday. I was desperate for the visit as desperate for the money. I had to cancel the parent and child coming for a visit as my son was still being sick on the Thursday. Parent seemed ok about it on the phone but am so worried now it will put her off using me. Especially since I have 4 children, she will think I will never be able to mind if all my children take it in turns to be sick!!

My mindee's Mum is a friend of mine. She was suitably embarrased and apologetic but damage done!! I suppose this is also the danger of minding friends children.

unalindura77
20-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Really S P E L L out the sickness policy.

Really S P E L L out annual leave notification of 4 weeks.

Really S P E L L out your payment needs to be C L E A R E D in the bank by x date.

And most importantly never ever tie yourself down with contracted ad-hoq days (like I did).

mrs owl
21-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Am just starting out, is there anything you wish you did regularly to keep up?

I am using a changing mat every time and washing hands between nappies- I didnt always do this!

Thanks

Don't forget to enjoy yourself! Oh yes and try to keep up with the paperwork! :) x

catlyn
21-01-2014, 04:34 PM
charge for late payments!! Its something I never do and one parent in particular is now taking the proverbial...wish I'd put it in my contract

amyp
21-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Some free advice here! Thanks x

fionamadcat
22-01-2014, 01:41 PM
The same as everyone else keep on top of paperwork and make sure parents understand sickness policy

skytvaddict
22-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Charge a month in advance - all contracted hours to be paid for - DO NOT at the end of every month refund part of the invoice for early pick ups/holidays/granpa visiting and collecting! I am struggling with this one as they now expect refunding half for holidays etc every month - we are way over the 4 week holiday allowance period - I need to grow a back bone!

ja-lula-belli
22-01-2014, 02:54 PM
This is a fab thread. Thanks x x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

kellyskidz!
22-01-2014, 03:49 PM
One thing i need to do is remember to NOT stress too much, its a job many would love to do so enjoy it!
I look back at rubbishy jobs I hated and thank my lucky stars I'm doing a job I love and that you get daily, if not hourly, rewards from. Seeing the kids grinning at me makes this all easy, being able to go to my daughters concerts and sports days makes me happy too :)
Sometimes the paperwork really can wait as well because I'm busy building a cardboard castle :thumbsup:

tess1981
22-01-2014, 07:34 PM
charge for late payments!! Its something I never do and one parent in particular is now taking the proverbial...wish I'd put it in my contract

you can always introduce a late payment policy.... hand parents a letter and say with effect from such a date i will be implementing a late payment fee which will be added daily onto your account ... or something like that give at least 1month notice and see how many are late after that

unalindura77
22-01-2014, 08:38 PM
On a serious note....

I have taken up drinking a double something or other on Fridays (this Monday I had two glasses of baileys) after starting this job, so make sure you don't stress too much as someone said and end up relying on alcohol :D:D:D:D:D