PDA

View Full Version : Are nurseries too 'feminised' to stimulate boys

Simona
08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Very interesting topic about the décor of many nurseries

Former deputy head questions if 'feminised' nurseries are doing enough to stimulate boys (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1562060/deputy-head-questions-feminised-nursery-boys#.Us2Vht38KDQ.twitter)

Smiley
08-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for sharing that Simona, interesting article but thought the photo of the pink decor was awful. I must admit the pink/blue segregation of toys drives me mad and I recently had a discussion with staff in the elc about this. Why on earth does someone think it's necessary to sell garish pink and blue shopping tills?

loocyloo
08-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I get totally frustrated about some toys only being pink or blue!

chriss
09-01-2014, 02:29 AM
yes interesting, am now looking around to see if it favours one or other gender

Simona
09-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for sharing that Simona, interesting article but thought the photo of the pink decor was awful. I must admit the pink/blue segregation of toys drives me mad and I recently had a discussion with staff in the elc about this. Why on earth does someone think it's necessary to sell garish pink and blue shopping tills?

I have to admit that the nursery picture of 'all things pink' is not just worrying but disturbing...surely Ofsted would point out that that is so gender stereotyping?
Addressing inclusion and equal opportunities policy would be the first suggestion I would make to anyone that presents that sort of environment to children

It certainly made me reflect and I know I will look at my policy at the weekend to ensure/reinforce there is no doubt I am not projecting that message to children!