PDA

View Full Version : Training Days

Springbok
08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi all,
I'm very new to this forum thing, so bare with me.

I'm a new childminder, only been going since September 2013. Just a quick question regarding training days.

I have some childminder related training coming up in the next few months, one or two fall on weekdays. Do i charge the parents for these days, or do I not? Someone told me once that i could charge for days that are related to bettering my childminding practice?? (a couple days p/year).

Thanks very much

Nadine

tulip0803
08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
It depends what you have put in your contracts with them. You can only do what you have both agreed to and signed unless you make a change to your contracts. If you have in your contracts that you have paid time off or that you have x number of training days that are paid then you can charge. If you do not have this in the contracts then you cannot charge.

Some childminders are paid 52 weeks of the year and have so many days off each year. Some have a set number of training days to be paid days too. Others have no charge.

Personally I do not charge unless I am available to care for children. If I book training on a day I am supposed to be working I tell the parents I am not available and loose the money.

rickysmiths
08-01-2014, 02:15 PM
High and Welcome.

Pacey recommended years ago that it would be good practice to have at least 4 paid training days a year written into our Contracts.

I have done exactly that ever since and it has been especially useful now our LA do a lot of day time training. I have never had a problem with the parents, I give as much notice as possible and will help find alternative care which the parents then pay the cm for. I always explain about them when we have a first meeting and when signing Contracts.

I do bear in mind what parents I have and I have just taken on a teacher so I would try not to go on a training on her days if I could.

I do not always use all the days every year either they are just there in case there is no other way to access a training.