PDA

View Full Version : 2 year review

kellyskidz!
08-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I am about to write my first ever 2 year review and any tips or advice would be SO welcome. Never written one before and I know very little about what needs to be in there, how long it should be, what you do with it (do we keep a copy and give parents one?)
Thank you in advance if anyone has any advice xxx

hectors house
08-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Just write a summary of what stage the child is at in the Prime Areas and a sentence or 2 on Characteristics of learning - I used to spend hours doing my reviews but when the parent showed my last one to the HV she said "gosh your childminder wrote a lot but of course I haven't got time to read it, i'll just look at the ages and stages on the bottom"!

kellyskidz!
08-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks, so its just like a paragraph or two? He's where he should be at, I have no worries so is it best to not go too in depth?xx

hectors house
08-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks, so its just like a paragraph or two? He's where he should be at, I have no worries so is it best to not go too in depth?xx

Up to you how much time you want to spend on it, the examples we were shown by our LA were just a couple of sentences on each prime area - I thought they were rubbish and didn't give a stranger any idea about the child - however after hearing that HV don't bother to read them anyway, I think I will be doing far shorter ones in future. However the parents were over the moon with my reviews, so maybe it was worth going that extra mile after all!

loocyloo
08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to do 2yr checks that were quite in depth, but in conversation with HV who said they liked it but they didn't need that much detail I decided to shorten it and now write a brief couple of lines for each of the 3 prime areas (plus age band) and characteristics of effective learning. Then a sentence saying what next steps are, a sentence giving ideas for experiences at home ( always something simple like sharing books and rhymes or visiting library or Park etc) then a space for parents comments and signature. I also have a space for other professionals/settings to comment! ( I can wish! )

hectors house
08-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I used to do 2yr checks that were quite in depth, but in conversation with HV who said they liked it but they didn't need that much detail I decided to shorten it and now write a brief couple of lines for each of the 3 prime areas (plus age band) and characteristics of effective learning. Then a sentence saying what next steps are, a sentence giving ideas for experiences at home ( always something simple like sharing books and rhymes or visiting library or Park etc) then a space for parents comments and signature. I also have a space for other professionals/settings to comment! ( I can wish! )

Yes I forgot to put on my post that I do have a next steps box for me to complete and one for the parents to complete too.