PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone look at my monthly expenses & tell me what else I should be claiming?

MrsP2C
07-01-2014, 11:01 PM
As the title says really, I'm wondering if any kind & knowledgable person could take a look at a typical week's expenses & tell me what (if anything) else I can claim back? I work a regular 34 hours a week and other than a few extra costs such as insurance/Ofsted fees or new equipment my usual expenses are c.£300pm. I don't do many meals so pretty comfortable these figures are correct, ditto mileage & I also include toddler group fees etc so I'm mainly wondering whether there's something obvious I've forgotten to include :huh:. oh, and I take the 10% wear & tear off at the end of the tax year :thumbsup:

Anyway, in case anyone can help here is a very basic version of my monthly expense account!:
Week 1

Child A: food & drink £3
Child B: food & drink £3.60
Child C: food & drink £3.60
Child D: food & drink £7.20

Outing 1: mileage £11.70
Outing 2: mileage £2.35 + entry fee £2

Cleaning products @ 50% £2.54
Toys & Equipment £15
Gas & Elec @ 29% £8.03
Water @ 9% £1.95
C/Tax @ 9% £4.26

Total expenses for month £65.23

rickysmiths
08-01-2014, 01:18 AM
There is a comprehensive list in the free resources area.

Off the top of my head:

Wet wipes/gloves/bum cream/nappy sacks
Tissues/paper towels/j-cloths
Toilet paper
stationery (that you use for LJ parents info, planning letters etc etc)
printer ink
pens
blu tac (I seem to get through tons!!)
Printing Photos
Phone costs
Washing powder for washing towels, sheets, blankets etc.
Magazines you may buy like EYE/Nursery World
Newspapers you buy with an article about childcare or early education
Don't forget to add mileage for trips for food shopping or buying of toys etc or going to the bank, school/nursery runs

hectors house
08-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Don't forget things like cling film if you dish up meals to use the next day, I get through loads of it so put that through at 50%. Don't forget if you make your own playdough to include the cost of ingredients, also if you do baking with the children for them to take home the cakes/biscuits to share with parents. Also toys that used to belong to your own children you can buy from yourself (at a second hand price) for your childminding resources.

Other than that Rickysmiths list seems to have covered most things.

MrsP2C
09-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Brilliant thanks guys. I've never really got the whole buying back your own toys things - I've got loads of baby toys now only used for cm so can I just write a list of items with 2nd hand price next to it & stick the total amount through this month? Do I need evidence of used prices with eBay print offs or is there a % rule (would 25% of new price be reasonable?).

Kiddleywinks
09-01-2014, 01:07 PM
I check local Facebook selling pages for an idea of 'the going rate' for secondhand well used toys to buy them off my own children (now teenagers)
They've made, and I've saved myself, a small fortune lol

Simona
16-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Here is a few more

Training/conferences
parking/parking permits
Stay and play fees
Accountant fee (if you use one)
A percentage of household insurance
A percentage of car insurance
petrol
Repairs and maintenance (a percentage)
computer and Broadband (percentage)
tablets if used for educational purposes
mobile

moggy
16-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Here is a few more

Training/conferences
parking/parking permits
Stay and play fees
Accountant fee (if you use one)
A percentage of household insurance
A percentage of car insurance
petrol
Repairs and maintenance (a percentage)
computer and Broadband (percentage)
tablets if used for educational purposes
mobile

I have not used household insurance in my expenses before, but interested in doing so this year-
How would you calculate a percentage of household insurance? (contents and buildings insurance?)
Annual insurance cost divide by 7 x the number of days I work?
Or more accurate to the hours I works vs. the total hours in a week?

I haven't claimed car insurance either as I do the 45p a mile method- but now thinking that doesn't cover insurance, but only covers car 'wear and tear' and petrol and running costs like MOT/tax?

Thanks x

ja-lula-belli
16-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Watching with interest. X

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

christine e
16-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I have not used household insurance in my expenses before, but interested in doing so this year-
How would you calculate a percentage of household insurance? (contents and buildings insurance?)
Annual insurance cost divide by 7 x the number of days I work?
Or more accurate to the hours I works vs. the total hours in a week?

I haven't claimed car insurance either as I do the 45p a mile method- but now thinking that doesn't cover insurance, but only covers car 'wear and tear' and petrol and running costs like MOT/tax?

Thanks x

Think there is a list somewhere on the forum which states 10% for buildings and contents insurance. If you are claiming 45p mileage you cannot put anything through for car insurance,mot etc but I think I am right in thinking that you can put valeting through

sing-low
16-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't think I saw gas & electric, water & sewerage, council tax (percentage of all of these, depending on hours worked).

moggy
16-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Think there is a list somewhere on the forum which states 10% for buildings and contents insurance. If you are claiming 45p mileage you cannot put anything through for car insurance,mot etc but I think I am right in thinking that you can put valeting through

Thanks, yes found it in free resources: 40hr working week = 10% of house/contents insurance cost.

Simona
18-01-2014, 01:07 PM
I would get advice on petrol and car insurance...the 2 are not the same
You can claim for petrol and car insurance is usually higher for cms because we carry children and therefore have a 'business' cover which adds to the premiums

MOT/service is the same because you are keeping your car in working order and children safe

Same for household which usually has an accidental damage extra because of our work and adds to the premium as does the equipment for childminding

accountants are good at giving this sort of advice if you have one and what percentage you may be able to claim even if you do not work 40 hrs

Chatterbox Childcare
19-01-2014, 09:46 PM
What about toilet rolls, towels, kitchen roll, wipes, nappy sacks, bleach etc. look at your food receipts as I am sure £2.54 isn't a lot (I use double this in kitchen roll per week)

Simona
19-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Best way to account for childminding expenses is to do a separate shopping...never mix your personal/family with your business
It is easily done and does really reflect your expenses!

Tazmin68
20-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I highlight any food or cleaning materials on shopping receipt that are soly used for business.
With regards to car and house insurance I was advised to print off a like for like quote minus the extra cover for business use and mindee accidental damage and put through the difference.

MrsP2C
23-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Best way to account for childminding expenses is to do a separate shopping...never mix your personal/family with your business It is easily done and does really reflect your expenses!

This is tempting but how on earth do you separate snacks/meals/drinks etched if your own children are eating at the same time & surely you don't have mindees special toilet roll, kitchen roll, cling film etc?

Simona
24-01-2014, 07:25 PM
This is tempting but how on earth do you separate snacks/meals/drinks etched if your own children are eating at the same time & surely you don't have mindees special toilet roll, kitchen roll, cling film etc?

I do I'm afraid....and have 2 accounts as well as 2 purses with different cards for personal/business use so my money never gets mixed with that for cminding
I have done so for 20 years and now I could not find it easy to share with personal shopping.
I can calculate what I use for business against own use and shop like that and have separate shopping lists too....I admit I wouldn't know where to start splitting a bottle of squash between own use and my cared for children...sorry that probably does not help!

Chatterbox Childcare
25-01-2014, 11:03 AM

My shopping is all done in one, don't have the time or storage for separate shopping but it is whatever works for you.

I use my receipt bill and divide it up between family members and mindees and then mulitply it by mindees to get a figure. This was how the IR showed me to do it when I had a business advisor out from the office.

Simona
25-01-2014, 11:10 AM
My shopping is all done in one, don't have the time or storage for separate shopping but it is whatever works for you.

I use my receipt bill and divide it up between family members and mindees and then mulitply it by mindees to get a figure. This was how the IR showed me to do it when I had a business advisor out from the office.

yes it is what suits us really...shopping separately does not really take much more time but some may find this not practical

I have had a chartered accountant for 20 years and from year 1 I was told not to mix my expenses with cminding...that means I do not have to go through shopping lists and mark what is mine and what is not, then divide or multiply...that time is spent on separate shopping

whatever works is best for each one of us

FloraDora
25-01-2014, 11:30 AM
yes it is what suits us really...shopping separately does not really take much more time but some may find this not practical

I have had a chartered accountant for 20 years and from year 1 I was told not to mix my expenses with cminding...that means I do not have to go through shopping lists and mark what is mine and what is not, then divide or multiply...that time is spent on separate shopping

whatever works is best for each one of us

The advice I was given by an accountant friend was similar, so I just pop CM items in the front of my trolley, put these through first, keep the receipt after. If I am lucky, I get a points offer to spend on next shop - and gain these points when paying for my family items!
Because we just use our ensuite, the other 2 bathrooms/ toilets cleaning products stay there ( in locked inaccessible cabinets) to be used when LO's have gone.
I keep a shelf in cupboard and in chiller for CM food and drinks, but DH ( who is the cook) makes most things from scratch so he keeps a big tin with dried baking goods for CM seperate in his cupboards - he just makes a small loaf or a few rolls at a time so we are not sharing things like that.
They have their own fruit bowl too, so they can help themselves ( though DH is not always happy when he discovers bite marks in the apples!)
It just keeps things easier to manage.

But then I have no children living at home so it is also easier to keep separate.

Each to their own...