PDA

View Full Version : 30 years

teacake2
07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Well as the title says, tomorrow I will have been a Childminder officially for 30 years:eek::eek::eek:
I really do not know where the time has gone. There have been so many changes, some good, some really bad especially at the moment. I have only had two months not actually minding under 5s and this was my decision, but now I am down to one part-timer and cannot seem to be able to sell my self enough to get any more, the feed back I have had on this has been, my house is too small, can't do anything about that, I am too old, can't do anything about that and because I have got two dogs, they are pugs so not exactly on the risk list, also can't do anything about that. Within 300 yards from me, including my own street there are 5 babies, they are all going to a nursery later on in the year because that would be better for the little ones to be in a formal setting so the parents say, oh well their loss.
Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a bit.
I don't think I will last the year at this rate and a bit old to find other employment now.
Cheers
Teacake2

WibbleWobble
07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Well as the title says, tomorrow I will have been a Childminder officially for 30 years:eek::eek::eek: I really do not know where the time has gone. There have been so many changes, some good, some really bad especially at the moment. I have only had two months not actually minding under 5s and this was my decision, but now I am down to one part-timer and cannot seem to be able to sell my self enough to get any more, the feed back I have had on this has been, my house is too small, can't do anything about that, I am too old, can't do anything about that and because I have got two dogs, they are pugs so not exactly on the risk list, also can't do anything about that. Within 300 yards from me, including my own street there are 5 babies, they are all going to a nursery later on in the year because that would be better for the little ones to be in a formal setting so the parents say, oh well their loss. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a bit. I don't think I will last the year at this rate and a bit old to find other employment now. Cheers Teacake2

Oh teacake I am sorry these people are too shortsighted not to see your wealth of experience and maturity.

Big hugs

Wibble xxxxx

appleblossom
07-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Well as the title says, tomorrow I will have been a Childminder officially for 30 years:eek::eek::eek:
I really do not know where the time has gone. There have been so many changes, some good, some really bad especially at the moment. I have only had two months not actually minding under 5s and this was my decision, but now I am down to one part-timer and cannot seem to be able to sell my self enough to get any more, the feed back I have had on this has been, my house is too small, can't do anything about that, I am too old, can't do anything about that and because I have got two dogs, they are pugs so not exactly on the risk list, also can't do anything about that. Within 300 yards from me, including my own street there are 5 babies, they are all going to a nursery later on in the year because that would be better for the little ones to be in a formal setting so the parents say, oh well their loss.
Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a bit.
I don't think I will last the year at this rate and a bit old to find other employment now.
Cheers
Teacake2

I'm currently working for £3.50 per hour from 9am to 3pm as only one EY child. £7.00 per hour 8am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm as I then have two children as the second child is at school. And that's gross income before any expenses.

I have been having interviews to work in nurseries recently as I need more income. The two sets of parents know and they understand I can't carry on like this. I have another 4yo starting next week for two days at 2 hours after school. Her Mum knows I'm looking for a job but insists she still wants her daughter to come to me even for the 2 hours as the LO is close friends with the other 4yo I look after.

I've looked at doing something else entirely but no-one will consider me for anything as I've no experience of other work than childcare for the last 23 years. My age is against me too as I'm 53. But the smaller nurseries near me have quite a few nursery nurses over 40 so at least I'm getting interviews.

On the up side I spent some time in the baby room at the nursery I was interviewed at yesterday and really enjoyed that. It's over two years since I last looked after a baby and I would enjoy doing that again. The last three children I've cared for started with me under one year old. The elder two are now at school and I haven't had any enquiries for pre-school places for over 18 months.

watford wizz
07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Many congratulations to a fellow long timer! Well done you and hope you find something else soon x

lilac_dragon
07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Well done you - it's not the easiest job in the World, and like Wibble says, they should appreciate your lifetime of experience, it's a testament to your hard work and dedication that you've been doing it this long.
1st Jan 2015 I'll be celebrating 30 years in the job too!

sarah707
07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Congratulations Teacake!! :clapping::clapping: I thought my nearly 20 years was pretty good going but 30 is WOW :magnificent:

Don't let them grind you down you are brilliant at what you do - advertise, get your name out there xx

blue bear
07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
30 years wow! What a loss to the industry such a shame

funemnx
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Congratulations Teacake2! 30 years is a fabulous achievement, how sad that others don't see that all your years of experience make you an expert!

Is 30 years a forum record?

I'm a relative newbie at 14 years, I came to CM late at 40 but couldn't imagine doing anything else now :)

hectors house
08-01-2014, 08:33 AM
What a shame that people are short sighted when it comes to age - a childminder in our town has just retired and she managed to stay full (or as full as she wanted to be) right until she decided to retire, even though she doesn't drive and couldn't take the children on out of town trips or to many toddler groups.

Congratulations on your 30 years teacake2 - could you maybe organise a get together of past mindees (some probably grown up with own children now) and invite the newspapers along to do a report and take photos. I still have a newspaper cutting of when my daughters childminder did something similar. It said "Sue is mum to more than 150 children - in the last 23 years Sue X has had more than 150 babies and children but only 2 of them have been her own" - she did it to publicise the town's childminding group rather than fill her own vacancies.

I would have been approaching 25 years of childminding this year but I did have a break for 6 years so I can only chalk up 9 years this time round. I don't know if I will keep going until I retire, the red tape is really :censored:, but I have such lovely children and their parents at the moment that I can't let them down.

Mouse
08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Congratulations on your 30 years. That is a massive achievement :clapping::clapping:

It's such a shame that you are struggling for work now and I really hope things pick up for you very soon.