PDA

View Full Version : new parent visit

Mrsh3103
07-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I had a parent arrange to come and visit tonight. We arranged for her to come between 5.30 & 6.00pm tonight. She was going to text me when she was on her way as traffic can sometimes be bad getting out of the hospital where she works. She's still not here and I've heard nothing! Should I text her and find out if she's still coming or just leave it?

sing-low
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
You could text something like: did I get the day wrong? was expecting you between 5.30 & 6. Hope everything's ok.

greanan
07-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I would text to see if she's coming so you can get in with the rest of your evening if she's not instead of waiting about for them

smurfette
07-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Had this Sunday and rang parent only to be told wife was meant to have rung me to cancel! So definitely call or text .. Anyways hope she has arrived and it went well

Mrsh3103
08-01-2014, 07:02 AM
She did contact me abput an hour later saying she was held up with an emergency at work. She's going to rearrange for later in the week today. Fingers crossed :)

smurfette
08-01-2014, 08:06 AM
She did contact me abput an hour later saying she was held up with an emergency at work. She's going to rearrange for later in the week today. Fingers crossed :)

Hope it works out ok, just watch her for reliability she should have rung before an hour after she was due! Make sure your contract is water tight and get a deposit or payment in advance ,, good luck!

sing-low
08-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Hope it works out ok, just watch her for reliability she should have rung before an hour after she was due! Make sure your contract is water tight and get a deposit or payment in advance ,, good luck!
If she's a doctor/nurse/other health worker then being late because of an emergency is par for the course. If you take on a child in these circumstances then you have to get used to it, to a certain extent. As Murphf says, robust contract and policies will help.

smurfette
08-01-2014, 09:20 AM
If she's a doctor/nurse/other health worker then being late because of an emergency is par for the course. If you take on a child in these circumstances then you have to get used to it, to a certain extent. As Murphf says, robust contract and policies will help.

Oh yes good point I forgot that was her job..

Mrsh3103
08-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm still happy to take her on if when we meet we're both happy. I will have to make it clear that if she is held up in an emergency she needs to contact me asap to let me know. I'm not sure what else I could do apart from make it clear any extra time will be charged at my overtime rate.

dawn100
08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
To encourage parents (who work in similar jobs) to inform me when they are going to be late I say if they let me know before their collection time any hours before 6 will be at my normal rate after 6 my evening rate however uniformed hours will be charged at my late collection rate (my late collection rate is alot more than my evening rate) that way it encourages parents to communicate as I don't want to penalise those who genuinely can't get to mine on time and i have accepted that might happen by taking them on as opposed to those who think it is of little importance whether they turn up on time.