PDA

View Full Version : Are children allowed to be children any more?

Blueeyedminder
07-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Hi I was just wondering what other childminder's thoughts are on this subject. I feel as if the governing bodies for childminding are trying to morph us into teachers. Why can't children just be children without having education shoved down their throats?

Mouse
07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
I have been a childminder for 18 years and haven't changed the things I do with the children. Admittedly the paperwork has changed an awful lot, but the activities I do with the children haven't.

They still learn to count by me saying the numbers as we walk up the stairs. They still learn their colours by me telling them the colours of the cars as they play. They're constantly learning if you provide them with the opportunities.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting children to learn. It's how you go about it that's important. I wouldn't sit a young child down with a work sheet to complete, but I have never seen anything say you have to do that.

I don't believe you can separate care & education. They go hand in hand. I would find it harder NOT to teach a child anything. It's what you do naturally in everything you do with them :thumbsup:

dawn100
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
When I was first going through the registration process I became a bit fearful that I would have to be all teacher like to be able to meet the EYFS but as I went through my training I realised what I did with my own children was educating them but had never thought it that way before. Eg counting bulbs as you plant them, spotting different colour cars, looking for their initial on car reg plate and street names, spotting numbers on houses, providing a stimulating enviourment which makes babies want to crawl and move. I did it all naturally with my own children the only real difference is the written risk assessments and the written observations and actually being aware of the fact I am educating them.