PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

CookieCutter
07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I look after a 15 mo lo who occasionally suffers from constipation. I just watched her spend 1 hour and 20 minutes trying very hard to do a number 2. During this time, she gagged and nearly vomited twice. When she finally went, it was rock hard and had a bit of blood. I'm sure the bleeding was just due to how large and hard the movement was, but is this something I need to alert parents to straight away, or should I wait for collection? Not sure how serious this is, never dealt with it before.

charlottenash
07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Did they tell you she had constipation? If they did I'd contact them and just let them know she has done one, and everything you've told us.

I always keep a bit of prune juice in the house because a few drops in water/juice can make a big difference but obviously that's upto parents.

Was she scared? I'd be worried about her holding the next one in.

charlottenash
07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Also if they don't know she's constipated I'd call them immediately to inform them of how bad it was.

CookieCutter
07-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your reply. I didn't have her for 2 weeks and got her back yesterday. I had a feeling she might be constipated as she pushed on and off yesterday with no luck, but they didn't mention it to me. I've seen her like this before, but never had the gagging or blood previously, so wasn't sure if I should panic (in truth I was panicking, but wasn't sure if I should be!).

She didn't seem to be scared by it, but she wouldn't walk for 10 minutes or so after...poor thing.

samb
07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
I would definitely speak to the parents soon. Not in a panicky way but in an information sharing way. My dd had chronic constipation and was on medication for 3 years. She may need something especially after that poor thing :-(

Kaybeaa
07-01-2014, 01:54 PM
My own DS suffers with constipation from time to time and apart from the gagging, he does everything your LO does, and on occasion has had blood in his poo. I took him to the doctor who said to feed him more fibre which is easier said than done when you have the fussiest eater on the planet!

I'd just tell parents when they collect and suggest a trip to docs for advice if it continues

KatieFS
07-01-2014, 01:57 PM
I would def tell parents on pick up. As it took quite a long time was painful and blood there def advice seeing doctor and more fibre prunes apricots. Constipation can make you feel sick too.

Also try orange juice. Works a treat for my son!

dawn100
07-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I would speak to parents and recommend they take their child to the gp not urgent but as soon as is convinent, my dd suffered very similarly when she was little, ended up with a very large anal tear, we were referred to paediatric consultant all managed with diet now but if she doesn't have plenty of fruit or fruit juice she gets very easily constipated. Ongoing chronic constipation can also lead to more serious complications hence why the trip to the gp is needed as they will feel the childs tummy and that can give them an indication of how serious it is.

CookieCutter
07-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Lo's dad has just been to collect her, so I told him about it. (More to the story- after a little nap, lo woke up and was fine one minute, then looking really upset the next and this continued until she went home. Also wouldn't eat any of my homemade spag Bol, which she usually devours.) the dad didn't seem too worried and kinda gave me the impression that I was making a big deal out of nothing. I have had this feeling from him before, any time I've had to mention lo wasn't quite herself. I just feel like he thinks I'm always trying to project illnesses onto his kid so I can have a day off. This isn't the case at all, I was genuinely worried. I hope I just read too much into his response, but unfortunately I will probably never know.

dawn100
07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Did you recommend as their was blood in the stool that he should take the lo to the doctors? If so I would ask in a day or so if he'd managed to get lo to the doctors and what they said.

jackie 7
07-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Weird because I had almost the same today. Blood when I wiped bottom. Rang mum who said he had been a bit constipated. I got mum to sign accident sheet.

dawn100
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Weird because I had almost the same today. Blood when I wiped bottom. Rang mum who said he had been a bit constipated. I got mum to sign accident sheet.

Probably down to poor diet over the Christmas period, I know with my own dd I have to make extra effort for her to eat fruit as we visit family and end up having buffet meals with no fruit or anything particularly healthy!

vickylou
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Not quite the same but my 10 year old minded got rushed to a & the other day with severe stomach pains, not appendicitis luckily! But colic!! Sh e's really suffering I think she's also constipated! Again probably down to two weeks if sweets, biscuits and stodge!!!