PDA

View Full Version : Age counting

charlottenash
07-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I can't remember when my DS learnt to count to 10, and I never say 'ohhh when so and so was this age she did that' because I don't think it's necessary.

But what age approximately should children be counting to 10 at the earliest?

FloraDora
07-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Early Years Outcomes: Mathematics - Recites numbers in order to 10 = 30-50 months

Mouse
07-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Do you mean counting (as in pointing to objects and counting how many there are), or reciting (as in saying the numbers 1 to 10)?

moggy
07-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Do you mean counting (as in pointing to objects and counting how many there are), or reciting (as in saying the numbers 1 to 10)?

Ah yes, they are very different things.

Reciting '1-10' can be anywhere around 24mths, even earlier if they hear the numbers said like that a lot and are talkative types. They are just reciting a pattern of words, like a song, and may point randomly at objects imitating counting if they have seen others do that a lot.

But to really understand number and counting, that is older.

k1rstie
07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I agree, parents say their child knows the alphabet, but in fact they can just sing bits of the alphabet song!

AdeleMarie88
07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I would expect to see understanding of what 1,2,3 looks like as a quantity around 30months, perhaps about 36+ months to understand what 4-10 looks like, I.e able to count a group of cars.

All mine have been reciting numbers from 24mnths x

charlottenash
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I have an 18 month old who recites the alphabet if you say A B C to start her, no promoting needed throughout and counts to specific numbers for example 4 penguins, she counts and points 1.2.3.4 and stops. 7 cars counts and points 1.2.3.4.5.6.7

I've done obs and linked to development matters as they have happened, and made a MASSIVE big deal with parents and they have been extending learning at home from what we do here, I'm just amazed. I wasn't sure if I was over exaggerating but she is just super bright and I think mainly has a great memory.

Kaybeaa
07-01-2014, 01:59 PM
My own DS at 23 months can count to 20 and recite alphabet but I thought this was totally normal until I registered as a Childminder and read DM! However I have a LO on my books at 19 months who has just learnt up to G in the alphabet and can count to 10 when helped so obviously every child differs!

mrstom
07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
I agree, parents say their child knows the alphabet, but in fact they can just sing bits of the alphabet song!

Yes!! One of my mindees is 27 mths old and mum says 'she knows all her letters'.

Ermmm, no she doesn't - she can sing some of the alphabet song including saying 'zee' instead of 'zed'. Obviously the CD they have in the car is an americanised one!!