PDA

View Full Version : Floods!!

KatieFS
06-01-2014, 11:23 AM
First day back at school for children today!

What a nightmare, roads pavements and most of school field/playground flooded! All got soaking wet coming into school.

How is Anyone else affected by the floods??
It did pass my mind at what stage might they close schools??

FloraDora
06-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I really do feel for everyone suffering from the floods.. We have just returned from a new year friends gathering in the rural south east ...we went everywhere in wellies, constant threat of electricity cuts ( they had them over Christmas) as trees lean against overhead power cables....we use loads of candles for atmosphere ...they are not the same when used for main lighting... Basic food not on local shops shelves ... It was quite a novelty for us midlanders ....but not good for our friends who have this quite regularly!

Schools opening or shut ..they have to try to open..more and more LEA's and Mr Gove put pressure on schools to open and bust a gut to clear grounds and reorganise flooded classrooms etc...the LEA I worked for made you write an essay to justify closures, which was scrutinised and debated with Chairs of Governors.... Schools can never win...close for H&S and working parents are inconvenienced....and (rightly) moan...stay open and still get flack for H&S ....and sued if any accidents happen!

maisiemog
07-01-2014, 07:56 AM
We live by the river Severn and are on high flood alert here. I don't think we will personally be affected as our house is 100 yrs old and never been flooded but in the last big floods it got a bit too close for my liking! A few roads are impossible to get down so DH is having to go the scenic route to work and he says it's looking very wet out there with a lot of flooded fields. He saw one field with a tractor in it with water nearly to the top! And with more rain expected it's only going to get worse!

KatieFS
07-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Sure is crazy weather! Bit better on Surrey today not as much rain but still lots of standing water. The meadow near our house is now a lake!

Toothfairy
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
We had to evacuate our house on Xmas Eve. Our ground floor was up to our knees in water.
We are back home now but living upstairs as the ground floor is unusable.
We have ripped everything out, now waiting for things to dry out.

Pictures show; outside our house on Xmas day & our Dining room :(