PDA

View Full Version : How much leave?

melco
05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi,

This might sound like a daft question but if I do not get paid for my leave is there a limit to the amount I can take.

I use Pacey contracts and I have ignored the bit where it says paid leave or crossed the bit where it says paid and put 5 weeks. I have started to put together what leave I will be taking this year and with Christmas already included its about 28 days. On a contract where I have put 5 weeks can a parent query that I am taking so much when I am not being paid for it. I have some children 4 days a week and some just 1 day a week so still might not work out a lot but am taking more than last year.

Also rules have changed about taking children out of school and I have already had one parent moan that they will not be able to go on holiday when I am off as it will cost them too much but nothing I can do, so just don't want something else they can moan about.

Thanks in advance

melco

Ripeberry
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
You are the boss! Take as much leave as you can afford :thumbsup:

Glitter
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
I am having 5 weeks holiday this year. One week at Easter, two in the summer and two over Christmas.

Last year I only had three weeks off and it was really hard work, so this year I am being sensible and having more time.
Parents would only really be happy if we never had time off. I know they might moan a bit, but we work long hours and deserved enough time off to ensure we have a proper rest sometimes.

I think 5 weeks is acceptable so stick to it and try not to let parents complaining get to you.

Ripeberry
05-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Make sure they sign your holiday sheet and that you give them a copy of it being signed. Too many parents try and 'pretend' that they forgot.

melco
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your replies, I am about to email all parents with the dates and also will get them to all sign, they have a copy and I have one. I am also going to take the day off for sports day this year, I find it too much hassle trying to watch the lo's and cheer on my own children, so will also give them as much notice as possible with that. Hope they will be ok

amanda1309
05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
I always take 6 weeks, but this year it's going to be 7 as we are getting an extension and new kitchen, the work is starting in 2 weeks and I don't want the hassle of children in feb half term as work may still be on going.

Snowwhite
05-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I used to take 4 wks half pay (1 wk Xmas, 1 wk Easter, 2 wks summer) but now its 5 wks (or thereabouts) half pay as decided to close throughout all of the Xmas school hols,so as to spend time with my family and just enjoy Xmas and New yr. Loved being off and start back tommorow and plan on telling all parents i will be closed again over Xmas and New year

dawn100
06-01-2014, 01:24 AM
I take 1 week at Easter 2 in the summer 1 at Christmas a couple of days in oct holiday and a day or two in feb holiday, in total 5 weeks, for sports days etc as I don't get much notice from school I will swap my day off as much as possible as i know most employers will more happily swap days at short notice than grant holiday- happy employer = happy parent = happy to accommodate my requests even when I can't give them 4 weeks notice. All my holiday is unpaid.
My contacts don't state how many weeks holiday I will take but i do tell all parents I normally take the above pattern of holiday. If you have in your contracts that you only take 5 weeks but you take more parents might be able to query that - not 100% sure as I'm no legal expert. It might be worth working out how much your holiday affects each parent eg if I say took off 10 Thursdays to one parent whose child only attends thurs and fri its only two weeks in days but pro rata it equates to 5 weeks but say I took off 5 weds and 5 thurs again its 10 days/2weeks holiday for me but only equates to 2.5 weeks pro rata instead of 5 for that parent, hope that makes sense.