PDA

View Full Version : Co-minders

becci_sarah_200
05-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Hi all, need some advice please. A friend of mine would like to become a childminder but her house is no good. I'm happy for her to come and work in my house with me. It gives me an extra pair of hands and I'd like to help. However, I can't work out how to arrange it financially without someone losing out. What would you do? A fixed fee to me to cover costs (how much?) or a percentage of that she earns? Or get her to sort all the good for everybody (or something similar)? It's all blowing my mind lol!

Thanks so much for any help!

sarah707
05-01-2014, 05:26 PM
If she comes with her children then she can earn money from them and you split resources / food costs by percentage eg 50/50 if you have one child each.

Does that sound doable? Fair? Otherwise she is working for you and you need to pay her properly :D

Bluebell
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I agree with splitting on-going costs but their will be costs of heating, water used and resources / toys already owned that have been invested in by Becci-Sarah-200. Not to mention wear and tear on furniture and carpets.

A fixed fee seems fairer to you as she will be there every day regardless of how many children she has but if she has less children / more children will mean she will be earning less / more money so for her it might be fairer to be a stepped fee or a percentage of what she earns.

A starting point would be to ask her what she would be willing to pay and whether you think that would be acceptable. Look at your costs from last year that you claimed on your tax submission and work out what an average weekly cost would be to you and work out a fair contribution from that.

becci_sarah_200
05-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks for replies. It's very complicated. I'm now a bit concerned about planning permission? I really don't want to go down that route. If she registers in her house but just spends the days with me in mine do I still need planning permission? I like the idea of checking what my weekly costs were last year that makes total sense.

Why can't they make it easier? Also deciding if partnership is the best option or not.