PDA

View Full Version : Food for New baby - fussy eaters?

Shivvi
03-01-2014, 07:06 PM
I have a new baby starting next month(only two days a week), will be 11 month old by then. I will provide the food but was thinking of asking the mum to provide the food for the first two weeks so that I can see what he eats and also think it might help him to settle as that will be familiar for him. Recently I have found the children quite fussy and am throwing a lot of food away.

Does anyone find that their little ones are fussy eaters?

Mouse
03-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I always ask parents to provide food until the child can eat what everyone else does - pasta, sandwiches, jacket potato etc. At 11 months old your mindee might already be eating that sort of thing, so I would provide all food from the beginning.
If they aren't eating that sort of food I would ask parents to provide it.

Shivvi
03-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes that is my usual route, the parents provide the food until they can eat regular food. Its just recently I have been having a few issues with the children not eating the food I am providing so I though I would get them to provide the food for a while to see what they are use to.

I may or may not be better I just wanted to try it a different way.

LauraS
03-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes that is my usual route, the parents provide the food until they can eat regular food. Its just recently I have been having a few issues with the children not eating the food I am providing so I though I would get them to provide the food for a while to see what they are use to. I may or may not be better I just wanted to try it a different way.

If it's just a case of seeing what baby is used to, perhaps you could ask parents to keep a little food diary for a week, nothing excessive just a few jotted notes about what lo has eaten over the week to give you an idea.

Having said that, if it comes back and baby is eating things that you don't generally serve, what can you do anyway? You can't really change everything to suit.

I wouldn't worry too much, I find babies to be really adaptable eaters. It's the three to four year olds upwards who eat junk all the time at home that I find tough!

Shivvi
04-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the comments. Fingers crossed

loocyloo
04-01-2014, 09:06 AM
I usually ask parents to send meals for the first few sessions for LOs up to about 15 mths ... it helps me see what mum feeds at home ( their cheese sandwich might not be like mine! ) plus it gives me an idea of quantity.
When weaning I always ask mum to send food as I think it helps them to feel involved.

Shivvi
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE="loocyloo;1331053"]I usually ask parents to send meals for the first few sessions for LOs up to about 15 mths ... it helps me see what mum feeds at home ( their cheese sandwich might not be like mine! ) plus it gives me an idea of quantity. When weaning I always ask mum to send food as I think it helps them to feel involved.[/QUOTE

That's exactly mine line of thinking! Thank you.

AliceK
04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
If it's just a case of seeing what baby is used to, perhaps you could ask parents to keep a little food diary for a week, nothing excessive just a few jotted notes about what lo has eaten over the week to give you an idea.

Having said that, if it comes back and baby is eating things that you don't generally serve, what can you do anyway? You can't really change everything to suit.

I wouldn't worry too much, I find babies to be really adaptable eaters. It's the three to four year olds upwards who eat junk all the time at home that I find tough!

I agree with this. I started a LO in Sept at 10mths old, I gave him exactly the same as the others were having and he loves it, he will eat virtually everything. His sister who I have had since she was 14mths old who used to eat everything is now 4 and wont eat hardly anything, well anything healthy anyway. All my LO's are great until they get to about 3 / 4 and then they get fussy :panic:

xxxx

Jingle
04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
With regard to your fussy eaters, perhaps it would be worth a try to give smaller portions? Mine went through a bit of a fussy stage so I cut portion size right down and they ate much better.