PDA

View Full Version : Retainer for existing family with financial problems

SJ35
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Have a family that have only just started but one parent has lost their job. They are paying for two children two full days a week.
The parent has asked if I can do anything to help as they are struggling until parent gets a new job.

I said no to them when they asked but now I'm feeling guilty. They spent ages trying to find a CM that dropped off the little ones nursery so they don't want to give notice as they know they would struggle to find anyone else if I filled their spaces.
I really like this family and the youngest is only 11 months so hopefully a long term family.

I thought of letting them drop one day and charging a half fee retainer for that day. They don't want the kids to stop coming as it's been hard to get the youngest to settle although today was fine :)

Or let them drop both days and charge half fees for both and then charge them for whatever hours they do bring them? With enough notice of course!!

The parent has lots of interviews and hopefully it might only be a few weeks until it goes back to normal. I think if I insist on full fees then they may have no option other than to give notice , which they don't want.

Should I help out or risk losing them? I have got my business head on for this .......but I don't want the hassle of advertising again and settling in another family if I can escape it!

Sorry for waffling!!!
Xx

sing-low
03-01-2014, 05:39 PM
If you really want to help, I would suggest a short-term compromise. Say you'll reduce fees but only for 4 weeks. Then you'll have to charge full or lose money.

ziggy
04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I've learned the hard way that helping parents out doesnt always mean they will stay.

I agreed to reduced fee for 2 brothers then kept place for baby even though i had lots of other offers, then due to a misunderstanding they gave me notice 2 weeks before christmas.

Hope it all works out for you but just be careful that you dont miss out on other work or miss out financially

yummyripples
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Don't do it.
It may work out well but it may end up with you being out of pocket.
Perhaps you could keep the space open for them without a retainer but if you are offered the chance to fill their places they have the choice of either paying you in full or losing the space.

yummyripples
04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Meant to say don't mind them with no pay. They will probably be entitled to tax credits

Jingle
04-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Perhaps point them in the direction of tax credits if they're struggling financially?

Try to remember you are a business, not a charity. Also remember that parents are your clients not your friends (that one is a very hard lesson to learn, lol) and whilst they may appreciate your help in the short term they may not remember it in 6 months time when they want to move on.

jelly jiggles
04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
If they gave notice how long would it take to refill the space as it sounds like they really want and need another job so like you said it may only be a few weeks. i think if you like them and you can afford to help then do it. It's nice to help others in bad times and it may get you future business when they are bigging you up to friends and colleges. The 4 week compromise sounds like a great idea to me.

caz3007
04-01-2014, 09:06 PM
One of my families mum lost her job suddenly and I agreed to waive the fees but if someone came along for the space I would have to take them on. She found a job within a few weeks and lo came back

SJ35
04-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Hi thanks for your replies :)
I have offered a half fee retainer for feb if they want to keep the kids at home. Or they can just send them for one day which would be the same money as retainer for two but the kids would still get to come every week. But only for feb and then they need to pay full fees or leave and then I can try and find someone to cover those days.

They are letting me know for definate on Wednesday so we'll see!

It's hard as they seem nice but I know if they were to give notice they wouldn't be worrying about me.
Xx

SJ35
04-01-2014, 11:46 PM
If they gave notice how long would it take to refill the space as it sounds like they really want and need another job so like you said it may only be a few weeks. i think if you like them and you can afford to help then do it. It's nice to help others in bad times and it may get you future business when they are bigging you up to friends and colleges. The 4 week compromise sounds like a great idea to me.

I think it may take a while as the parent was quite high up and was made redundant and is being told is overqualified for the jobs applied for :( x

Zoomie
05-01-2014, 12:34 AM
When my DH lost his job (a few years back) tax credits did not pay childcare fees - although we still got a small amount because of our 'decreased' income.

They might still get tax credits for the notice period and I would advertise in the meantime. If parent gets a job, great, if not, then at least you are lining up new potentials.

I have been struggling to fill my vacancy for 4 months now (knowingly trying for 6+ months)

bunyip
05-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi thanks for your replies :)
I have offered a half fee retainer for feb if they want to keep the kids at home. Or they can just send them for one day which would be the same money as retainer for two but the kids would still get to come every week. But only for feb and then they need to pay full fees or leave and then I can try and find someone to cover those days.

They are letting me know for definate on Wednesday so we'll see!

It's hard as they seem nice but I know if they were to give notice they wouldn't be worrying about me.
Xx

If you don't have a replacement lined up yet, maybe you could offer the existing family 'first refusal' at such time as you do get a serious enquirer.

So hard to predict in an unpredictable jobs market. :(

Really hope you get a good resolution to this soon. :group hug:

SJ35
18-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I forgot I hadn't replied to this. They have decided to carry on paying the full fees!!! :) :)

They don't want the worry of maybe having to find someone else. Also instead of the 8-5.30 they are sending them 8.45-4pm until dad gets a job and still paying the contracted rates!

I did offer a discount but they said no as dads happy to spend some more time with them.
So it's all worked out great in the end :)
Xx

The Juggler
18-01-2014, 02:45 PM
If you don't have a replacement lined up yet, maybe you could offer the existing family 'first refusal' at such time as you do get a serious enquirer.

So hard to predict in an unpredictable jobs market. :(

Really hope you get a good resolution to this soon. :group hug:

i like this idea. Tell them they drop the days to 1 but you will need to advertise for new business to cover the other day(s). That way you will hopefully make up the income soon AND when she goes back to work, you should be able to increase LO's days again as it will be continuity of care (as long as you dont' go over your 6 under 8's).

good luck