PDA

View Full Version : We have decided to get a dog!!

dusky777
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Hi, as a family we have decided to get a dog. We have thought long and hard about this and researched which dog would suit us best. We have decided on a English cocker spaniel as they have a good temperament and are good with children?!

Is this going to affect my business? I told my last 2 newbies it was a possibility we would be getting a dog in 2014 and they were ok about it at the time. Also do I ask my current parents permission to get a dog or do I just tell them? I cant seem to find anything on here re this....ive tired several searches with no avail.

We will be turning our "under the stair" into a dog pen/home so that the dog can have his own space as and when and in case I also need it. I don't like the idea of a cage even though I know this will be similar. We will be putting up a fence between the garden and drive so that the children and dog can have there own space. There is also an option of us building a outside run if need be.

Any advise would be grateful

Thanks

kellyskidz!
03-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't think you have to ask permission per say but I'd write up a pets policy and ask all parents to sign
It should include hygiene practices, like where you will put the dogs food and water bowls so children cant access them, the checks and vaccines the dog has had and other risk assessments such as will you be keeping the dog in a separate room or not, will children be able to pet the dog, washing their hands after etc etc
Enjoy the new addition, cocker spaniels are lovely dogs!xxx

bernesewalking
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi, we have two dogs a lab x and a v large Bernese mountain dog, in the 18 years of minding I have never had a problem with parents or children, I always inform the parents when they make first contact with me we have animals then if they don't won't to come and see me it saves wasting everyone's time. I have gates to keep the dogs separate but the children do have supervised contact and they all enjoy the walks we do, I have a pets policy in place and risk assessments too. Enjoy your new addition, they are a lovely breed, have already decided that's the next breed for us! :)

AliceK
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
You don't need to ask permission but I would tell them you have made the decision.

Although dog crates sound cruel they are imo an absolute godsend especially with the job we do. If the puppy is introduced to it as a nice place to be it will be fine. My ESS used to take himself off into his cage very often when he wanted some peace. The children were taught to leave him alone when he was in there.

Good luck, I am very jealous :)

xxxxx

dusky777
03-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks for you replys

Ill be typing up a letter this weekend and sorting out a policy. In this job I thought it was a must the dog have his own space which is why I have managed to twist hubbys arm about under the stair as its own space,.....just need to find a place for all the junk that's in there now!!