PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice to one family to accommodate another?

HTSMumma
03-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I there,
I'm very new to childminding (started in September) and I have a dilemma that I could really use some advice on from experienced childminders.

I have been caring for a child since September who has been with me three days a week. From this month, she'll only be with me two days a week.
I have a baby of my own who takes up a space too.
I've had an enquiry for two siblings to start three days a week from April. If I took the siblings on they'd be the lion share of my income but it would mean that I'd have to give notice to the child doing two days a week (the days she does would be two of the same the siblings would do). The child I have at the moment is 3 and will be going to reception in September so I'm only due to have her until then.
My husband has been made redundant so I am the only one generating an income at the moment. In terms of how much the money difference would be, it looks like it'll be over £500 more a month.

With my business head on, it makes total sense to give notice to the first child's family and take on the siblings in April, but the decent person in me is incredibly torn on what to do.

Sorry, this has turned out longer that I envisaged!
Help me experienced childminders! I don't know what to do or how to go about it!

Thanks in advance!

Mummits
03-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Is there any possibility that the current child could move to the other two days? I wouldn't do anything just yet until the new family are definite, but if they do decide to sign up, I would ask the original family if they could swap days. I don't think you need feel bad about suggesting that as you have obviously taken a financial hit to allow them to reduce their hours and I don't suppose they were too worried about that. Flexibility works both ways - time for them to do something to help you out.

Alternatively, register your husband as your assistant and take on the new children anyway, and a couple more!

Kirstylob
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I was also going to.suggest registering your husband. Then you could keep the current child and take on the two new ones too. Even if it was until Sept then the older.child started school. Good luck.

HTSMumma
05-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Hi both,
Thank you for your advice and reassurance. I have contacted the lady requesting childcare for her two children and she and her partner are going to visit me with the little'uns next week.
I've realised that I will also have to give notice to two brothers I have on a Thursday and Friday morning too. They only generate £20 a week so I'd be swapping just under £380's worth of childminding to about £900 (I'd originally miscalculated what the siblings hours would total). I hate thinking about the pound signs, but in our situation right now, I have to.
I will see if the parents of the child I currently mind during the day can swap days so I can keep her on, so I can at least give them an option to stay with me.
I know you have to have your business head on, but I feel rotten.
Of course, I won't mention anything to my current parents until (unless) the potential new family sign up.
I asked my husband about being my assistant.... He wasn't very taken by the idea!! He is aggressively (can't think of another word - passionately?!?!) looking for new work and may set up as self employed himself, so hopefully we won't be in this tight situation for long.

Thank you for taking your time to reply to me, I appreciate it!
:-)

Mouse
05-01-2014, 03:07 PM
From a business point of view I can see that it probably makes sense to get rid of all your current mindees in favour of a better contract. Personally it's not something I would consider doing, but then I have never been in a position where I have needed to.

As a new childminder you have to consider what this could do to your reputation. You don't want to get yourself known as the childminder who ditches children when someone better comes along. Word of mouth is the best recommendation you can get, so you don't want to jeopardise that.
Also, what if you rely totally on this new family for business, then they give notice for some reason? That's your whole income gone at once.

Sometimes you are much better off having several part time families during the week. That way if one family leaves you aren't left with no income at all. If it was me, I would try to keep my current families and do my best to find more children to fit in round them.

dawn100
05-01-2014, 03:31 PM
I agree with all what mouse has said also I would proceed with caution as parents can seem very keen to use you but also be visting other cm's and even if they lead you to believe you are the only one. I would be very careful how you proceed as a new cm your reputation is everything.

Mrs Scrubbit
05-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I too agree with what Mouse advices, as the saying goes ' don't put all your eggs in one basket' ( or something along those lines!) plus negative comments spread like wildfire and can prove hard to shake off.I know of a local minder to me who had alot of 'things' said about her a few years ago all of which were not quite what was spread about but she was unable to shake the comments off and her work suffered and she has since had to close up................ so please think thought ALL the available options that are open too you before you do something that you may come to regret, good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

Zoomie
05-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Proceed cautiously, as others have advised. I have had a vacancy since Sept and have had lots of enquiries but have never considered giving notice to existing families. Two families that I had enquiries from I suggested they try and swap days (as they were also using a nursery) - perhaps this might be a suggestion for your new prospective family. Good luck.

HTSMumma
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks all. To be honest, this has been what's been worrying me. I am a new childminder and my reputation is being developed and so I have to be so careful.
I've had a talk with my husband. If this family do want to sign up, I will give notice to the first family whose daughter I have two days a week. I will of course, offer alternative days. She's only due to be with me for five more months beyond April, both sets of grandparents are having the little one on the other days and dad is out of work at the moment too so they've actually debated giving me notice (but decided to drop a day).
I won't give notice to the two boys I have the two mornings before school and my husband will take our daughter and our baby on the school run, leaving me within my numbers to take the mindees to school (even though our daughter and one boy will be 9yrs old). As three would turn up at 8.30, we'd be in the house a matter of minutes before leaving for the school run and my husband would leave with our two at 8.30 so I wouldn't have a mad five minutes with 8 children in the house.

What do you think? Sound feasible?!

Thank you for all your advice. I need frank and honest, so I'm grateful.

Rick
05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks all. To be honest, this has been what's been worrying me. I am a new childminder and my reputation is being developed and so I have to be so careful.
I've had a talk with my husband. If this family do want to sign up, I will give notice to the first family whose daughter I have two days a week. I will of course, offer alternative days. She's only due to be with me for five more months beyond April, both sets of grandparents are having the little one on the other days and dad is out of work at the moment too so they've actually debated giving me notice (but decided to drop a day).
I won't give notice to the two boys I have the two mornings before school and my husband will take our daughter and our baby on the school run, leaving me within my numbers to take the mindees to school (even though our daughter and one boy will be 9yrs old). As three would turn up at 8.30, we'd be in the house a matter of minutes before leaving for the school run and my husband would leave with our two at 8.30 so I wouldn't have a mad five minutes with 8 children in the house.

What do you think? Sound feasible?!

Thank you for all your advice. I need frank and honest, so I'm grateful.

I'm afraid your children are still in your numbers even if your husband takes your children

HTSMumma
05-01-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm afraid your children are still in your numbers even if your husband takes your children

Ok, but technically I wouldn't be over my numbers as two are over 8. However, so I didn't have 8 in the house at once and so I wasn't seen taking 8 children on the school run (I feel it would just look too chaotic and would be difficult to control), my husband would take over the school run for our daughter and take our baby with him.

Does that make sense?

HTSMumma
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Also, I'm in Wales. Don't think I've mentioned that. Not sure if there are different rules between Ofsted and CSSIW.

loocyloo
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM

unless you register your husband as your assistant. as far as I know, that would be ok.

I know you said your husband is looking for work, thinking about being self employed, but it shouldn't cost you anything to register him as your assistant ( apart from needing first aid ), and then, if he is working from home, he can help you out, maybe stay at home with LOs whilst you do a school run, or pick mindees up whilst picking up your DD from school? it doesn't have to be his 'be all/end all' job, just a way that he can help you to work.

I am thinking about getting my DH to register as my assistant, as he often says he would/could take to or pick up from school, as he works locally and often pops home, and on a rainy day it would be useful!

otherwise, would it be worth asking the 2 day a week childs parents if maybe the grandparents could swap days with you? I have some mindees who are also cared for by grandparents, and we sometimes swap days with each other!

HTSMumma
05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
unless you register your husband as your assistant. as far as I know, that would be ok.

I know you said your husband is looking for work, thinking about being self employed, but it shouldn't cost you anything to register him as your assistant ( apart from needing first aid ), and then, if he is working from home, he can help you out, maybe stay at home with LOs whilst you do a school run, or pick mindees up whilst picking up your DD from school? it doesn't have to be his 'be all/end all' job, just a way that he can help you to work.

I am thinking about getting my DH to register as my assistant, as he often says he would/could take to or pick up from school, as he works locally and often pops home, and on a rainy day it would be useful!

otherwise, would it be worth asking the 2 day a week childs parents if maybe the grandparents could swap days with you? I have some mindees who are also cared for by grandparents, and we sometimes swap days with each other!

It's really worth thinking about. It would certainly solve all my problems. Plus, he's amazing with the mindees! They get very excited when I tell them my husband is home!

I have no idea what to do to set someone up as an assistant. I guess it's worth a call to CSSIW in the morning.

Thank you Loocyloo!

smurfette
05-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a good solution., as you say other mindees parents wouldn't be stuck if you did give notice but may well be able to swap days with grandparents

I have a similar situation at the moment with one leaving in April due to mum having another baby,, I won't be able to accommodate baby when she goes back to work. It's messy with the days I have available until then having had another little boy leave just at Christmas ., I am advertising and don't want to let anyone down either for the sake of a few weeks , but grandparents do the other days so I know they won't be stuck if I have to give notice before ., I am afraid I can't afford to miss a long term child for a couple of weeks but I am hoping it won't come to that and something will fit nicely

yummyripples
06-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Best thing I ever did was register my husband as my assistant. It has helped me fill vacancies before they actually left if you know what I mean.
If you take on these children with your husband as your assistant and then he found a job could you cope without him there?