PDA

View Full Version : variations

tinkerbelle
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
can anyone please point me in the right direction as to black and white evidence from Ofsted with regards variations and who now grants them and the process of doing so long story short my certificate still states may care for 2 children in the early years age group at any one time (I also have 2 under 5's of my own) when working alone I also have a assistant who is currently off sick signed off due to having difficulties wearing his prosthetic leg.
Ofsted carried out a unannounced visit due to a malicious compliant and have now said I can not use my old certificate due to new legislation coming in in September 2012 regarding numbers and I was over my numbers whilst minding alone I had my 2 under 5's 2 mindees under 5 years and 2 aged 5-8 they've also written that my own older children are aged under 8 years when in fact they are 11,14 and 15
am I wrong in following the advice of a Ofsted officer when she said child-minder's are now able to grant a variation so long as they can prove they are able to meet the attention and development needs of each child which I have and can do, do I use my old certificate (a new one has never been issued despite repeated requests due to name change) or was I over my numbers im so sick of Ofsted being contradictory and inspectors having such different opinions

christine e
03-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Does this help you

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c)

sarah707
03-01-2014, 02:33 PM
You were over numbers I'm afraid because the rules in the Eyfs 2012 are clear that you can only have 3 under 5 (including your own) unless there are exceptional circumstances and it's continuity of care.

In exceptional circumstances for continuity of care you can have more children but you must risk assess and inform / explain it to parents.

Help for Risk assessments here - Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

If Ofsted has made a factual error on your report you have 24 hours to let them know - otherwise it goes online. Did you inform them?

Hopefully you will be able to get your grade back quickly. Hugs x

loocyloo
03-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Tinkerbelle ... Are the 2 under 5s the same children you were caring for on your old certificate? If so, then I would think you were covered by continuity of care. But if they ( either 1 or both ) are new children then yes, you were over your allotted numbers. X

Edited to say I just wondered if it counted as continuity of care if you usually have an assistant for 4 under 5 but as he is ill, you are providing the care and are still within ratio of 6 under 8?