View Full Version : safety film for windows...necessary?

02-01-2014, 05:37 PM
On my pre registration visit the inspector said I should think about getting safety film for the many windows I have, even in the rooms I don't childmind. This is a bit of a bother but I suppose it may be necessary, where do you get this from?

I have had a look on some websites but they seem quite expensive and I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives you guys know of?

Many thanks!

02-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Do your windows reach the ground? I don't think it is necessary personally, but others may disagree. I don't have it but my mum had some full length glass doors when we were growing up and she did eventually cover them with safety film after a near accident with my little brother. x

02-01-2014, 06:11 PM
If they are old single glazed windows then yes I would, we have got an old conservatory which we use when cm'ing which is only single glazed and we put safety film on all the panes at a lowish level and also a huge window which is single glazed.

If they break they will shatter and cause much more damage, we got it quite reasonably priced although I can't remember where from, will see if I can find the website x

02-01-2014, 06:41 PM

I used this, it is costly but good quality, I covered some panels in the doors between living and dining room and a very old glass bookcase that is on the landing, two areas that children will have access to. I would suggest that you cover just the rooms that a child would be in to start with ...higher up windows could still shatter if something comes through from the outside ( a cricket ball did in our house and the safety glass shattered but didn't fall in to the room) complete a risk assessment and if you decide not to cover areas you can show you assessed and made an informed decision.

We were going to do the summer house windows but this doesn't stick if the temp goes below freezing and since it was fiddly DH decided just to replace glass in Spring when the garden will be used loads and flying objects more likely. ( we are in garden every day at the moment but not in the area of SH as you have to cross very boggy grass area).

02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
If windows have the Kite mark (like a heart-kite shape) then they are safe and need nothing. Kte mark will be in a corner, can be very feint- look carefully. If they are modern uPVC double glazing then they will be fine.

If they have no kite mark then they must be old and you need to RA each one- if they are low and anywhere near the children then yes, I would put safety film on them

02-01-2014, 07:31 PM
I think building regulation say that under 1 metre all glass should be safety glass. So if you have had any doors or windows fitted in the last few years they should be kite- marked.