PDA

View Full Version : Childminding in a flat ?

manchester mum
02-01-2014, 10:06 AM
So I'm all signed up to start my childminding * excited * . But i need to move I've seen some lovely ground floor flats in a area I'd love to live in. Houses are out of my price range :( . But is it possible to childmind in flat ? Does anyone else do it or have done it ? . I'd only have shared outdoor space but would be really close to a huge park . I worry being in a flat might put parents off . Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks x

Glitter
02-01-2014, 12:33 PM
A friend of mine looked in to minding from her flat. She was told she would only be able to look after 2 children because of the size of the rooms.

I think the feel of a home is more important than if it is a flat or a house. If you have a welcoming space parents will not be put off.

You will have to make it very clear to Ofsted that children will have regular access to the outdoors, but as long as you can tell them how you would acheive this (possibly show them photos of the parks) than it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck when you move:)

kellyskidz!
02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Agree with Glitter, when I went on my pre reg course a lady there lived in a third floor flat and asked if it would be a problem, to which the mentor said no but you may be restricted with the number of children to maybe two or three which suited her fine!
She also told the lady that she'd have to really show that they used the available outdoor space, parks, fields, woods etc and to take lots of photographs of the children playing outside to provide evidence of this
I don't think parents would be put off either if you explained about going on trips nearby and that you know how important getting out in the fresh air and exercising is
Good luck!!xx

jackie 7
02-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I live in a ground floor flat as does a friend. I have not been told that I could only have 2 but I have a2 bed. The second bed I use as a play room/ sleep room. I have space around me and close to a park. Also I have a balcony.

CookieCutter
02-01-2014, 01:52 PM
I live in a 2 bed first floor flat and have not had any issues with getting business. I live in an area with a lot of open space and parks, so I explain to parents that I take the little ones out to play in these areas in nice weather. I didn't have any problems with Ofsted either, and no restrictions.

I would love to have a large house one day, but I find my flat is a perfect setting for childminding! There are no stairs (well, to get up here there are, but not once inside), and as long as the safety gate is closed in the kitchen and my bedroom and bathroom door are closed, the kids have the freedom to wander and play in any other space and they're always within sight or sound, no matter where I am in the flat.

Maza
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I childmind from a two bedroom first floor flat. I have never had any problems getting business. Chances are a lot of your clients will also live in flats. When I had Ofsted, the inspector came on a little walk with me to the communal garden - down all the stairs and right round the back of the building. I used to put the toddlers on reigns to get there as it was quite a trek and we don't have a gate and live on a busy main road. The back is safer so they were fine once we got there. We also had to pass stuff that the neighbours dump in a little pathway to the communal gardens. I couldn't remove the risks as they didn't belong to me (and have to keep the neighbours sweet) but it was all risk assessed. Each time the doorbell goes I have to take all the children downstairs with me to open the communal door but you soon get used to it. You have to get out of the habit of thinking about all the negatives because no house/building is totally perfect. I obviously can't do free flow indoor/outdoor play but I had tons of evidence to show how the children get good quality outdoor play experiences everyday. I keep a big rucksack stocked with nappies/travel potty/gloves/mat, drinks, first aid kit etc and it comes with me every time we visit the communal garden. If you truly believe in outdoor play you will find a way to make it work and cover every area of learning through it. I don't have a playroom either. It's what you do with the space that you have got that matters. If you need any help, do get in touch. x

greanan
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
A friend of mine lives in a third floor flag as has never had any problems filling up spaces

Maza
02-01-2014, 02:37 PM
*****mind from a two bedroom first floor flat. I have never had any problems getting business. Chances are a lot of your clients will also live in flats. When I had Ofsted, the inspector came on a little walk with me to the communal garden - down all the stairs and right round the back of the building. I used to put the toddlers on reigns to get there as it was quite a trek and we don't have a gate and live on a busy main road. The back is safer so they were fine once we got there. We also had to pass stuff that the neighbours dump in a little pathway to the communal gardens. I couldn't remove the risks as they didn't belong to me (and have to keep the neighbours sweet) but it was all risk assessed. Each time the doorbell goes I have to take all the children downstairs with me to open the communal door but you soon get used to it. You have to get out of the habit of thinking about all the negatives because no house/building is totally perfect. I obviously can't do free flow indoor/outdoor play but I had tons of evidence to show how the children get good quality outdoor play experiences everyday. I keep a big rucksack stocked with nappies/travel potty/gloves/mat, drinks, first aid kit etc and it comes with me every time we visit the communal garden. If you truly believe in outdoor play you will find a way to make it work and cover every area of learning through it. I don't have a playroom either. It's what you do with the space that you have got that matters. If you need any help, do get in touch. x

Really not sure why it blocked out my first words!!! It only said 'I child mind'. x

Maza
02-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Really not sure why it blocked out my first words!!! It only said '***** mind'. x

Oh my goodness, don't know what's going on. Basically, I work from a flat as well!

kellyskidz!
02-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Oh my goodness, don't know what's going on. Basically, I work from a flat as well!

Lol I'm dying to know what you were trying to say now xx

Dovile
02-01-2014, 05:02 PM
I live in 2bed ground floor flat and I have full ratio (6:1). We don't have to live in big houses or villas just because we are childminders :D

samb
02-01-2014, 05:18 PM
I am in a 2 bed first floor flat with only communal outside area. Again no restrictions or problem from ofsted and I'm currently full 4 days a week so doesn't put people off- only 1 of my minded children also lives in a flat so I don't think that makes a difference. I wasn't going to set up as a childminder until I lived in a house but just can't afford to move so went for it. It's fine just takes a little more planning for outdoor activities as it's not easy to all be out etc and if someone needs the loo everyone has to go in etc- just like being at a park.

manchester mum
02-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Thank you :) , park is on the doorstep and is lovely with lake , childrens farm , two playgrounds and a lake . I hadn't thought the parents might live in flats as well :) . And they would be lots of good points as well such as no stairs to worry about , and easy access to the bathroom .

yummyripples
03-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Thank you :) , park is on the doorstep and is lovely with lake , childrens farm , two playgrounds and a lake . I hadn't thought the parents might live in flats as well :) . And they would be lots of good points as well such as no stairs to worry about , and easy access to the bathroom .

Is it heaton Park?

manchester mum
03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Yes

yummyripples
03-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Ooh a blank reply. Does that mean it's a secret? Lol

Vikki5531
03-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi Manchester Mum, I live near Heaton Park and start my Pre-Reg course on the 14th Jan.

When do you start yours? x

manchester mum
03-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Ooh a blank reply. Does that mean it's a secret? Lol

? I can see my reply lol , yes it is Heaton park :) , do you live nearby ?

manchester mum
03-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi Manchester Mum, I live near Heaton Park and start my Pre-Reg course on the 14th Jan.

When do you start yours? x

20 th of jan but I currently live in Tameside . I'm hoping to move to prestwich soon just struggling to find something I can afford as its a big jump up in rent from where I live now :/

yummyripples
03-01-2014, 11:43 AM
? I can see my reply lol , yes it is Heaton park :) , do you live nearby ?

Not far. I go to 2 very nice groups in Prestwich and you are welcome to come

manchester mum
03-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Not far. I go to 2 very nice groups in Prestwich and you are welcome to come

That would be great thanks :) x

Maza
03-01-2014, 01:41 PM
I lived in Tameside for years. Small world! x

manchester mum
03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I lived in Tameside for years. Small world! x

Isn't it lol x