PDA

View Full Version : First ofsted inspection

adedwards68
02-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Im expecting my first inspection soon and wanted to ask others about their outside areas
Currently I mind an 11 month old, non walker and for 3 hours a day a 3 year old
After school drop off I take 11 month old for a little walk in the pushchair, fresh air for him -exercise for me and when I pick the 3 year old up from nursery she has lunch and never wants to play outside, especially in the cold weather
Would ofsted expect me to have toys outside, signs etc even though I know they won't be used, I know by the summer youngest will be walking and we will spend more time outside
Any advice please?

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

moggy
02-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Im expecting my first inspection soon and wanted to ask others about their outside areas
Currently I mind an 11 month old, non walker and for 3 hours a day a 3 year old
After school drop off I take 11 month old for a little walk in the pushchair, fresh air for him -exercise for me and when I pick the 3 year old up from nursery she has lunch and never wants to play outside, especially in the cold weather
Would ofsted expect me to have toys outside, signs etc even though I know they won't be used, I know by the summer youngest will be walking and we will spend more time outside
Any advice please?

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

So, if I understand right, you have a 11mth old non-walker but he does not play in your garden? Why's that? With a rainsuit and thick bootees (or those soft leather slipper-shoes, or you can get waterproof bootees) he can crawl about on a patio/decking/groundsheet, sit and play with a ball/bucket, look at the birds, sit in sandpit, pull himself up at a bench to play etc etc.

Ofsted would be looking for this. Do you provide this kind of play experience OUTDOORS in your daily routine using a park or family centre etc? You would be best trying to work out how you can do it and document it.

The 3 yo who never wants to play outside: I'd be working on this, take her favourite toys outdoors, make it really easy to get boots and waterproofs on (right by back door), get out there yourself 'having fun' and tempt her out, arrange a teddy bear picnic or whatever she'd love. Do you have a sandpit? Water tray? Playhouse? Does not need to be a big cost: some Family Centre Toy Libraries can lend out large play items, check in your area and see what you can find. I got most of my stuff from charity shops and Freecycle- ride-on car, pop-up tent etc.

Ofsted wouldn't be too impressed to hear 3yo never plays in the garden at your setting because she 'never wants to'. Outdoors is as important as indoors and we need to shape our play environment to suit the child. If you didn't have a garden then they would want to see/hear about daily outdoor time in parks/playgrounds/woods/beach or whatever you have in your area.

Does the 3yo play outdoors at home? Something to talk to parents about maybe, work together to help her get more confident and happy outdoors.

sing-low
02-01-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm in a similar position to you and I didn't realise at first that it was a requirement in the EYFS. It is hard with non- walkers, even more so when they start to crawl. I put a rug out with toys on it and we have a small tent we can use for shelter if it's raining. It doesn't need to be for very long (particularly when cold). I don't have many outdoor toys - some balls, a slide, outdoor tea set). I bring easy to clean toys (ones I know LOs like as some of mine are reluctant too) out with us.

At my first inspection, I'd set the garden up to play in (put tent out with toys ready) but we didn't go out in the end while Mrs O was here as she arrived late morning so just did house inspection and then it was lunch & nap time.

sarah707
02-01-2014, 05:46 PM
We have a covered patio and some sheltered bits with a little play house and we often put the tent outside - we have the messy tray, some little invitations to play and something crafty under the cover.

We encourage children to go out every day and we always go with them and play alongside them. The boys often run around and play on the bikes but we try and channel them so we will do some singing and then crafts or messy play rather than just running and riding.

We have great fun! I couldn't imagine staying in all day... yes there are the odd ones who stand by the door shivvering and looking miserable of course - but they are the ones who will read a book in the tent and then come to see what everyone else is doing :D

CookieCutter
02-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm a bit worried now- I have 2 non walkers (well, 1 walks, but only at my home or hers- which I'm working on with her, and the other is my 2 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy). I make sure they get fresh air every day- we go for walks and I pick things (such as leaves, twigs etc) up and they play with them and talk about them. I live in a flat with no outdoor space of my own, so therefore don't have a patio or covered porch. In summer we will have loads of outdoor playtime, but at present, I don't think it would be very nice for them to play in the cold, muddy grass. Am I really expected to do this? Sorry to high jack this post!

moggy
02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm a bit worried now- I have 2 non walkers (well, 1 walks, but only at my home or hers- which I'm working on with her, and the other is my 2 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy). I make sure they get fresh air every day- we go for walks and I pick things (such as leaves, twigs etc) up and they play with them and talk about them. I live in a flat with no outdoor space of my own, so therefore don't have a patio or covered porch. In summer we will have loads of outdoor playtime, but at present, I don't think it would be very nice for them to play in the cold, muddy grass. Am I really expected to do this? Sorry to high jack this post!

For a non-walker I would be taking an old picnic blanket to the park or playground for them to sit on and explore from, letting them sit in playground (on hard ground) in waterproofs and crawl about or pull up on equipment or roll a ball around on. Is there an 'astro-turf' football pitch at a local park where they could avoid getting too filthy? It might be only 10 mins before they get cold hands or want to get back in buggy but that 10mins is valuable and needs to be encouraged. Good warm waterproofs are really useful as getting cold is seen as an excuse but really it is the clothes that are inappropriate rather than the weather (obviously avoiding unsafe high-winds under trees, and avoid getting wet-through which will lead to a chill).