PDA

View Full Version : Parent issues

dawnn93
01-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I Started a new baby 7 weeks ago waited 6 weeks to be paid from the tax credits
I got money all bar £150
She is due to start on Monday parent called me to say can i take her Friday. All parents pay in advance and she would need to pay me £150 + £24 for Friday and then £96 for week beginning 6th jab
I'm calling her, texting her but don't know what to do as I pick up child as parent doesn't drive.
Help please

caz3007
01-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I would text her or try one last call and say you need to collect the outstanding money on Friday along with the child. No money, no child. its a lot to still have outstanding

moggy
01-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Start as you mean to go on- stick strictly to your fees policy, if it is 'pay in advance' then that is exactly what they need to do. I'd make one last call- leave a message to say they need to contact you by xx time. At least you are at an advantage as they won't be turning up on your door to drop child, you can be clear you can not come to collect until all outstanding money is paid.

They have only been with you 7 weeks so they are pushing it a bit in my opinion, you have been very generous so far waiting for the money, don't let them take advantage. Outstanding invoices can soon spiral and you could find yourself losing out big time if they can't/won't pay, or if they do a runner.

Simona
01-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I Started a new baby 7 weeks ago waited 6 weeks to be paid from the tax credits
I got money all bar £150
She is due to start on Monday parent called me to say can i take her Friday. All parents pay in advance and she would need to pay me £150 + £24 for Friday and then £96 for week beginning 6th jab
I'm calling her, texting her but don't know what to do as I pick up child as parent doesn't drive.
Help please

Did you take a 4 weeks deposit from the parents? if so use the deposit to square the fees still due and then ask for the balance to top up your deposit again

Many non payments would be solved if we took a deposit...we are allowed to take it as long as clearly stated it is refundable at the end of the care?

bunyip
01-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I think it depends on the contracted terms and what you've agreed to do.

Have you agreed/committed to the Friday start? If not, then you've done your best to contact her and the ball is now firmly in her court to return your calls/messages. If you have committed to Friday, then you may have to go round there to sort it out.

Does your contract make it clear that you reserve the right to refuse care if the payments are not up to date? Even so, the parent has paid something, so it would be difficult to refuse care until she's used up the amount of care she's paid for already IYSWIM.

Have you committed to collecting the child? I'd be very careful about that cos if it's part of the contracted service, you're going to have to do it irrespective of snow, road conditions and breakdowns - or else be in breach of contract which can cost more than just losing the due fee.

I'd be a little bit concerned that she's taken 6 weeks to come up with what appears to be less than 1/2 the due amount. It doesn't bode well for the future. I'm getting real alarm bells from the comment, "...waited 6 weeks to be paid from the tax credits." You absolutely need to stamp out any idea she may have that paying you will depend in any way on what and when she gets paid by HMRC. She is responsible for your fee no matter what - any transaction between her and HMRC Tax Credits are none of your concern.

I'd also be worried by any parent who seems to ignore her phone. What happens when there's an emergency or a sick lo needs collecting?

Not the most encouraging start to an arrangement, but neither is it beyond redemption. Hopefully this indicates nothing more that teething troubles. Hope it all works out well. :)

blue bear
01-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Could you print out an invoice for the outstanding fees plus Friday. On the bottom put a Note that £x will also be due on 6th jan.
Put in bold £x for outstanding fees plus Friday must be paid to you on Friday am or you will not be taking the child with you, I assume Friday is a non contraced day so no fees no extras.

Take this round and hand deliver to parent tomorrow making it clear what your terms are.

In future draw up a booking form for extras which clearly states day is not considered booked by you u til fee is paid in adavance with booking form.

candy cat
01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I have a mum who pays weekly as she is on tax credits.....on a monday it goes in her account and she pays me straight away....worked really well so far :0)