PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 2013

Simona
31-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Was it good or bad?...what were your high and lows this past year when reflecting on our sector?

yummyripples
31-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I have loved it. Went through a bad couple of months but I rediscovered my love for minding after a problematic parent left

cathtee
31-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I've had a really great year both work and family, we had a conservatory built in February for a playroom during the week and for us to use during the weekend and it has worked out brilliantly, the children love it and I do too, can shut the door on the toys and have my home back after 23 years and the icing on the cake was my dd getting married in July and one of my mindees who I had from 10 weeks old and is now 18 was one of the bridesmaids, just goes to show you can mix work with social lives :):)

Happy New Year :cheerleader:

The Juggler
31-12-2013, 03:09 PM
i think all the uncertainty that cropped up in 2013 about minding was very stressful. I had also already started to decide to do something else as it was now 3 years after finishing my degree, and on that front I ended up having a good year. I had couple of interviews and a job offer which made me decide to give it a try and go for my PGCE.

Then everything really fell into place for me so I had a good year. DD was going to high school but i missed the boat on the salaried trainee teacher scheme so spoke to my local HT to get some experience in schools ready to apply next year. She said they'd not found anyone for their own early years place so offered me a chance to reapply so after deciding to go for it, I'd applied and got the job within a month! Bit of a whirlwind!

Also feel very blessed that since I started, lots of schools have decided not to offer the salaried places any more and if they are, they are charging the trainees the uni fees, so I was so lucky to get in this year. So I'm now convinced someone up there really likes me and feel like I had more than my fair share of luck last year.

Hope everyone has a very fab and fantastic 2014 and if 2013 was a bad year may lady luck shine on you this next 12 months xx

desiderata
31-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Mines been a very unsettled year what with trying to sort personal finances out . through divorce.. still not sorted, trying to change career to get a life for myself and that not working out as the job I got didnt pay enough to pay my bills...... a couple of parents being a pain and still being ...... and not knowing how this job is going to pan out in the future .. or even if I can stay in my house, oh well.. eh oh.. the judge will make a decision in Feb...... don't know if I'm looking forward to 2014 ...

SYLVIA
31-12-2013, 06:19 PM
I can't say it's been a bad year but I can't put my finger on why I'm not glad to see the back of it for some reason. Happy new year to everyone, here's hoping it's going to be a good one

loocyloo
31-12-2013, 06:25 PM
It's not been a bad year but I'm looking forward to 2014.
I think it's because of all the uncertainty about agencies and the other changes that just as you get the hang of it something else changes. Am hoping that next year we get some clarity about our profession!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

bunyip
31-12-2013, 06:29 PM
:) The Good: children, parents, other practitioners.

:( The Bad: children, parents, other practitioners.

:p The Ugly: my diagnosis.

..at least i managed to get one thing treated. :thumbsup:

Allie
31-12-2013, 06:41 PM
A rubbish year that has ended with sick 8 year old granddaughter in hospital over xmas she has developed type1 diabetes, then my dad in hospital with mild stroke then dd2 who is pregnant has been diagnosed with gall stones. Next year must be better

Simona
31-12-2013, 09:28 PM
:) The Good: children, parents, other practitioners.

:( The Bad: children, parents, other practitioners.

:p The Ugly: my diagnosis.

..at least i managed to get one thing treated. :thumbsup:

Well Bunyip...the Ugly has been defeated and that is good news.
The Good and the Bad are like the eternal triangle and a vicious circle at that too...you can't remove any of them or the link would be broken.
Despite our many differing opinions and thoughts and ways of doing things we are really here to help and support each other the best we can when all others have jumped ship!

For me the 'high' was the resilience of cms this year despite the constant battering...on we soldiered and, unless I am wrong, we are now in a strong position to counter attack.
The 'low' was the fact that a certain Minister remained in her position to advise us and drive forward policies she has absolutely no clue about!

Happy New Year everyone....despite the cliché 'united we will stand' and lets replace fear with defiance in 2014!

Kiddleywinks
31-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Business wise
Downside:
Challenging parents
Challenging children
Challenging paperwork
Uncertainty within the sector, which is ongoing and still very much a concern
Redundancy affecting parent : knock on effect losing a child who was an absolute joy and is still very much missed
Variance in money coming in
Missing my local forum party

Upside:
Completing my NVQ 3 (still awaiting confirmation I've passed though :()
The hugs I received at our minded kids xmas party
How much has been achieved with the challenging parents, and their offspring
My Ofsted inspection grading (yet to be confirmed I know, but still......)
Getting through the other side with a screamer/limpet
Being recommended by parents
Meeting several forum members in person
Winning free Gold membership to childcare.co.uk just before I was due to renew lol
Being selected to trial the black and decker steam mops - revolutionised my cleaning routine lol
Finally getting my paperwork to a manageable level and in a format that seems to be working for me

Business wise, there's definitely more ups than downs, so a good year for me that way, personally.... Can't wait to see the back of it

Happy New Year forumites, this forum has saved me and my sanity a fair few times this year, so I thank each and every one of you for being here xxx

MessybutHappy
31-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not looking back! Only forward - onwards and upwards, dear friends!

Bring it on 2014, I'm ready for you!

FloraDora
01-01-2014, 02:26 AM
All good!
2013 - Retired from a stressful job.
Had a 9 month 'Oldie gap year' travelling and developing a new photography interest.
Started a new business ...in the best role yet.....CHILDMINDING!!
I am loving every minute of the time I spend with children....without any bells to work to!!
I haven't worn a watch at all this year ....I love that!
'He who must not be mentioned' on Jan 1st 2014 ...is still a pain in the..... But somehow I am able to cope better now when I hear his name....!!!!!
2014: - brings new things .... A doctorate to work towards ..... A business to establish...... A patchwork quilt to finish ( after 10 years!!) ..... A long summer in France where I hope to master the French language( after 35 years of 3 week holidays where just as I grasp it I have to come home!)...a self sustaining allotment garden to maintain better.....another year of spending time with my lovely DH ...... ( also retired ..lots of time together now to solve all the world's problems)

And the only negative ( for me only) is my oldest has announced this Christmas that he will be giving up his very secure well paid job to travel around South America for a year with his partner !!! ( I know this a great adventure, I know that this is the best time in their life to do it..before children and mortgage commitments, I know I can FaceTime and Skype, but I will still miss him!! You can't hug via technology yet!!!) but....I must see this as 2014 positive adventure ...and a trip to Columbia has to be planned ...... So thats good !

Happy New Year everyone!

Bluebell
01-01-2014, 09:12 AM
The uncertainty and general bad treatment of childminders is making me reconsider my future but actually I love minding and I love that I don't have to put my kids into holiday clubs and after school clubs so it's hard to find something that matches up to minding!!

IN 2013:
*I have gained my EYPS, now studying at MA level,
*I'm half way through gaining Leadership and Management qualification ILM level 4 award
*become an employer by taking on an assistant,
*resolved a falling out with a parent by being professional and having a meeting (thanks to advice on here),
*got an impressive audit score for my FCCERS (6.7 out of 7) - sorry - it's just I'm quite proud of that.
*Started using online learning journal which has made my life so much easier!
*opposed the ratio changes and met with my local MP to discuss it
*taken on being chairman of management committee of local pre-school (- which has loads more issues than I could ever have anticipated!)
*volunteered one day a week in a primary school reception class,
*sought advice about possible career change,
*and I celebrated 10 years of marriage with my hubby which frankly I have many times thought we would never see!

2013 has certainly been hard work but a HUGE learning curve but I'm quite proud of what I've achieved and how it is improving my practice.
In fact I've also just learnt to use Skype and having had my tv for nearly 2 years have just learnt to use the i=player function without having to ask my hubby so - yes all in all a big learning curve lol!!!

For 2014 I'm hoping to maximise my earning a bit and smooth out my sessions next year - am doing lots of half days and it really ruins plans for days out and makes the day feel disjointed. Am also planning to be do less as far as observations are concerned - I must remind myself that a child that attends for 3 hours a week and already attends pre-school does not need to have lots of plans and observations done to keep him in line with the rest of the children here!! Continuing to try and improve communication from pre-schools is another one I'd like to work on! Personally I need to start a keep fit routine. I get puffed just walking and have put on 3 stone in the last few years (and that was post children) so I need to stop craving chocolate!

A very happy New Year to all and many thanks for the continuing support and advice that is given!

Bluebell
01-01-2014, 09:19 AM
A rubbish year that has ended with sick 8 year old granddaughter in hospital over xmas she has developed type1 diabetes, then my dad in hospital with mild stroke then dd2 who is pregnant has been diagnosed with gall stones. Next year must be better

really sorry to hear this Allie - I hope your grand-daughter is feeling much better and can hope to manage her diabetes. That your dad is making a speedy recovery and your daughter will soon be on the mend too. What a time of it you have been having! Hoping 2014 is a good one for you!

The Juggler
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Mines been a very unsettled year what with trying to sort personal finances out . through divorce.. still not sorted, trying to change career to get a life for myself and that not working out as the job I got didnt pay enough to pay my bills...... a couple of parents being a pain and still being ...... and not knowing how this job is going to pan out in the future .. or even if I can stay in my house, oh well.. eh oh.. the judge will make a decision in Feb...... don't know if I'm looking forward to 2014 ...

oh honey. hope things get better and good decision in Feb. will be keeping everything crossed for you xx

The Juggler
01-01-2014, 11:47 AM

hope so honey xx

WibbleWobble
01-01-2014, 11:49 AM

My Katie ( now 21!) was diagnosed with type 1 when she was eight too. She has sen ( global delay and autism) but she manages her diabetes well ( with some help from me)

She developed insulin resistance last year and now takes metformin.

Big hugs to you and your family esp your grand daughter. If you need to chat pm me....same if your grand daughters parents want to chat- just send them my way we can swap emails or such like

Wibble xxxxxxxxx