PDA

View Full Version : Help, re asking for money!

EmmaReed84
31-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Okay so I have one parent who pays via bank transfer and childcare vouchers. She paid me early, but the vouchers are on a set day and she can't request until that day, it then takes a few to reach my account, usually by the 28th, however, I have checked my account and the money is there not. I have also checked my email, and I usually get an email to say the money has been released, but again, no email, so guessing she has forgotten!

Also another parent, this is her first invoice, I sent the invoice on 23rd Dec, payment is due today, I am going to wait until this evening, but so far, nothing.

I really need this money to go in to cover my bills! But how do I ask them for it. I hate. hate, hate asking for money!

smurfette
31-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Yep just had same problem .. Because I have been off I only had one parent due to pay end last week and only for one day.. Hasn't arrived and bank is in the red ..it won't clear it but not the point! Just text her to be told she was gonna pay last weeks and next weeks today won't be in Til thurs (next weeks due by Fri) which is all well and grand but thanks for letting me know and actually I would a have quite liked that 45 euros in before now! We are broke and having people over tonight! Feel bad cos all parents were so good really spoiled me at Christmas so feel bad for asking but really that's pointless if I don't get paid innit?! I get paid weekly and immediately text next day if not in, never really had bad payment problems but I hate having to text to say erm where is it?!!

Lottie
31-12-2013, 01:09 PM
I would think hopefully parent with vouchers has just forgotten, due to christmas madness. Don't feel bad about reminding them. The bottom line is you provide a service and they pay for that service. I would send both a text reminding them that payment was due XXX and needs to be paid in by this evening or by the 2nd Jan latest.

The Juggler
31-12-2013, 01:17 PM
my line always used to be "your bank must have made an error cos the money's not gone in" then whether they'd forgotten or the bank was at fault you weren't pointing the finger at them. Just explain that you have incurred bank charges too. just apologise for disturbing them in holidays but say you are really stuck without the money or wouldn't ask.

good luck. have fun tonight.x

munch149
31-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep mine have been

Just checking alls ok with bank as money's not gone in

Just checking you received invoice I sent the other day

Just a quick reminder that payment is due

Always sent by text or email to avoid any direct embarrassment for them if they simply just forgot
Keep it short and sweet without laying any blame

EmmaReed84
31-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I have messaged one parent, but not heard anything back, nor has any money gone through.

The other parent, I have to rot through my paperwork as our car was broken in to and they took my phone so I have lost half my numbers!

Not the best start to New Year

EmmaReed84
31-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Just got message back as I posted... Parent 1 replied. She processed the payments when she got paid, but it looks like it didn't work as it was probably too early.

This is definitely the worst part of the job! This and having to send home/turn away a sick child!

AliceK
31-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Just got message back as I posted... Parent 1 replied. She processed the payments when she got paid, but it looks like it didn't work as it was probably too early.

This is definitely the worst part of the job! This and having to send home/turn away a sick child!

You know that you can log onto your voucher company website and view all transactions both paid and pending??? I always do this before I text a parent just to make sure whether or not they have paid it (they may have paid it late) When it comes to payment I make no apologies for it to parents and am quite straight. Why should I apologise for them not paying me :panic: I'm quite short and to the point. I NEED that money to pay my bills. In my experience I have never had any of the voucher companies mess up, it's usually the parents messing up and blaming the voucher company.

xxx

jfradgley1
31-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Yep, same here... Out of five parents only two have paid and it was due today. So frustrating :( I mean, can you imagine the fuss these people would make if they were not payed on time!! Luckily the two that have paid are my biggest income, so the bills are just about covered.
I hate having to ask, so always send a polite reminder first, well it's always polite!! Just wish I had the balls to add the charges it states in all of their contracts for late payment... Just another downside to this job!!
Hope you get it soon xx

Jingle
31-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Just think of it as if you were waiting for your change in tesco, you wouldn't walk off without it would you, its your money. The same goes with your fees. If they are late, then maybe consider phoning them, don't be apologetic but do be polite.

It does get easier the more you do it.

Logan
31-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Tomorrow is a bank holiday. Will online payments be automatically processed? My fees are due on or before the 1st. I reminded parents about BH & asked them to take this into account when making payments but I'm currently about £450 short. Just wondering if they're likely to go in tomorrow?

smurfette
31-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Tomorrow is a bank holiday. Will online payments be automatically processed? My fees are due on or before the 1st. I reminded parents about BH & asked them to take this into account when making payments but I'm currently about £450 short. Just wondering if they're likely to go in tomorrow?

No I don't think so Hun, sorry., will probably be Thursday

Logan
31-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, annoying. Especially as I know most of them will have been paid...

unalindura77
31-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Three of my parents pay by direct debit which go in after the bank holiday so will be in by Thurs but one does it by bank transfer and I was hoping he would do it before the 1st but of course he hasn't :angry:... it is annoying.

Logan
31-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Three of my parents pay by direct debit which go in after the bank holiday so will be in by Thurs but one does it by bank transfer and I was hoping he would do it before the 1st but of course he hasn't :angry:... it is annoying.

It's extra annoying as I had politely pointed out that the transfer would need to be made today rather than tomorrow. All the companies that take money from me that is due on the 1st have already requested it - so it's a double whammy - money taken early & paid late!

Mummits
31-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I had one parent who repeatedly paid late so I started sending email reminders which I headed "Polite reminder". This did seem to work - perhaps they thought the next one wouldn't be polite!

unalindura77
31-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Logan - if you have late fees definitely apply them. We need to get tough about this, just as they get paid on a certain day come rain or shine we need to be able to rely on that too.

chriss
31-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Can I ask who does actually add the late payment fees ? Or do you let them off ?

vickylou
31-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Bank holidays are a pain at this time of year. Have one parent who pays by voucher on the 1st, that won't be actioned till the 2nd so probably next weds before gets in the bank!! One other parent went away on the 20th as she usually pays by vouchers she gave me a cheque just in case they didn't transfer! ! Well banked cheque on Friday 27 and with the bank hols been told I wont get it till prob the 6th! !!! Unbelievable!!

EmmaReed84
01-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Well just logged on to get the vouchers as I haven't had my usual notification email, and there does not seem to be any pending payments. I have messages parent and apologised for pestering her on New Year's Day, but I really do need that money as I have now had to borrow it from the husband's account to cover my DD's due out tomorrow!

Also other parent is sending a Cheque tomorrow! I really wish I could afford not to pester them, as I hate asking, but I have bills to pay also.

AliceK
01-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Well just logged on to get the vouchers as I haven't had my usual notification email, and there does not seem to be any pending payments. I have messages parent and apologised for pestering her on New Year's Day, but I really do need that money as I have now had to borrow it from the husband's account to cover my DD's due out tomorrow!

Also other parent is sending a Cheque tomorrow! I really wish I could afford not to pester them, as I hate asking, but I have bills to pay also.

Why are you feeling bad about it???? That money is yours and they should have paid it, end of. Don't feel bad about asking for what is rightly yours hun xxxx

AliceK
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Can I ask who does actually add the late payment fees ? Or do you let them off ?

I charge them. I charge 10% of outstanding money per day. I have only ever had to charge it once for 2 sets of parents. Both questioned it, both had excuses but I'm afraid there are no excuses (being on holiday is certainly not a good enough excuse in my book).
I'm a bit soft in a lot of areas of this job but not where money is concerned, I can't afford to be.

xxxx

The Juggler
01-01-2014, 11:58 AM

honey if the payment from vouchers is not even pending I would insist that it's paid in cash this month by bank transfer from parents. I had this happen once, it was 2 weeks late and I asked if they wouldn't mind just transferring the money - today - to my account and pay double in vouchers next month ;)

EmmaReed84
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
honey if the payment from vouchers is not even pending I would insist that it's paid in cash this month by bank transfer from parents. I had this happen once, it was 2 weeks late and I asked if they wouldn't mind just transferring the money - today - to my account and pay double in vouchers next month ;)

I have spoken with Mum and she said it has all gone from her end so not sure what has happened. She has said if nothing has happened by Monday then she will pay the cash and for me to give her the voucher money back when I get it.

The Juggler
01-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I have spoken with Mum and she said it has all gone from her end so not sure what has happened. She has said if nothing has happened by Monday then she will pay the cash and for me to give her the voucher money back when I get it.

those voucher companies are so naughty - grrrr. well if both payments come through you can just refund her the cash (not the voucher money as it's tax deductible). xx

Snowwhite
01-01-2014, 09:13 PM
1 parent pays most by Edenred childcare vouchers and thankfully i got payed just before Xmas day,cause i told this parent when signing my contract that 3 days before my pay date is when i needthe voucher transfer to happen as it takes 2-3 working days for the transfer.No problem atall there.Parent also payed me the remaining amount early so as not to come to me over Xmas with the money! (nice!) i have learnt to be a bit more harsh when it comes to payment/dates but that doesn't come naturally!

Zoomie
01-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I get a couple of payments via voucher companies. They have all been set up to pay automatically, and I usually get them all 25-31 of the month. One hasn't come through yet, but it shows as pending on the voucher account. Hopefully it will be in my bank tomorrow

AliceK
02-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Log on to your voucher account and check to see if the payment has been made by mum. Then if it's not showing call the voucher company and ask them. I have done this before, they are very helpful then you can get back to mum and tell her what they have said.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2014, 09:40 AM
I sent my invoices out on 20th December with a note saying "as 1st January is a bank holiday could you please make sure the funds are there before then (excluding vouchers). I have all parents vouchers on automatic release but I am yet to hear from 2 companies who won't process until today but I have this every month.