PDA

View Full Version : Moving to new premises

happyfeet2013
30-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I am considering renting out a house to separate my childminding business from my actual home home
I plan to stay there part time say on nights before I have children on really early starts 630 am

Does anyone no if there would be any rules preventing me doing this ? I just want more distance from my home life to work life

Like to hear ur opinions

FussyElmo
30-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I am considering renting out a house to separate my childminding business from my actual home home
I plan to stay there part time say on nights before I have children on really early starts 630 am

Does anyone no if there would be any rules preventing me doing this ? I just want more distance from my home life to work life

Like to hear ur opinions

Do you earn enough to cover 2 sets of rent/mortgage. 2 sets of ultility bills. Before you even think about any other parts of planning permission etc etc

happyfeet2013
30-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I do yes as my husband has a good job

I am simply moving everything as it is to new house

Is planning permission needed

FussyElmo
30-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Yes but a good chunk of your earnings will be going on paying rent etc when that could be profit for yourself. What what would happen if you suddenly lost business how would you pay the rent. You would also have to find a really sympathetic landlord who would rent you their house purely to run a business from it. It could have complications for his mortgage and insurances . You would also move from childminding to childcare on a domestic property.
Planning permission is up to your LA and can be expensive just to find out.

tulip0803
31-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Only your LA will be able to tell you if planning permission is needed. Planning rules vary by area. You may also find that they then want to change your waste collection from domestic to business if they deem that the property is used more for business than residential.

OFSTED may have their own view on this as they may no longer regard it as childminding as it won't be you main residence as Fussy says they may regard it as childcare on domestic premises so you would need to contact them too to ask.

If you do require planning permission or to change from childminding to childcare on domestic premises you may find it hard to rent a property. Some people have lots of problems finding a property to live in and childmind from without the added complications.

Good luck

The Juggler
31-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Yes but a good chunk of your earnings will be going on paying rent etc when that could be profit for yourself. What what would happen if you suddenly lost business how would you pay the rent. You would also have to find a really sympathetic landlord who would rent you their house purely to run a business from it. It could have complications for his mortgage and insurances . You would also move from childminding to childcare on a domestic property.
Planning permission is up to your LA and can be expensive just to find out.

i agree, unless you are planning to run it as a mini nursery with lots of children with other CM's or assistants for which you would need planning permission you'll be unlikely to earn much more than your overheads. I'm guessing rent and utilities will be at least £1,500/month before "normal" CM expenses.

If you looked at the agrro of doing that versus just havign a few kids in your own home you could probably take on just one or two children now and earn the same kind of profit.

blue bear
31-12-2013, 10:31 AM
To be classed as childminding you have to live at the property otherwise it's childcare on domestic premises and is registered differently.

The Juggler
31-12-2013, 12:23 PM
To be classed as childminding you have to live at the property otherwise it's childcare on domestic premises and is registered differently.

and I'd guess that will mean everything will be more expensive, bank accounts, insurance, registration etc etc. sorry we all seem to be putting a damper on but don't want you to end up with only a small fraction of your hard earned money :thumbsup: