PDA

View Full Version : invoices

Emmalou77
30-12-2013, 06:49 PM
I just wondered how many minders do paper invoices?
My laptop has seen better days but I cannot afford to replace it just yet.

bunyip
30-12-2013, 06:53 PM
I used to just give printed invoices to parents who asked for them. I now do them for all parents, partly cos this helps us keep track of additional hours used/paid over and above the regular contracted hours, and partly cos I want to be ready in case I'm audited over the 3-4 year funding arrangements.

Bluebell
30-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I do invoices for those that pay monthly and hours vary slightly or 4 weekly just to keep up with date as to what their payments are covering.

I tend to e-mail if I can rather than print them out. some parents are happy just to have a total but for my own sanity I like to know which dates it goes up to and which hours its covering which days!

Is there any way you can use an app on your phone to list charges due?

Chatterbox Childcare
30-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I email my invoices to parents and print a copy off for my files

moggy
30-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I email my invoices to parents and print a copy off for my files

That's what I do too.

happyfeet2013
30-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I have invoices with my business name wrote out each week times contracted hrs etc
Sign copy for my folder sent week before payment date

Daisy1956
30-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I do the same as Chatterbox, I email invoice to parents and print off a copy for my file.

jackie 7
31-12-2013, 12:39 AM
I use an invoice book weekly. Give parents the top copy and then have the book for tax.

Simona
31-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Most cms do invoices and either send them via email or print them for parents...how do you prove payments has been made?

does anyone have a 'fee book' or to use the appropriate name : a 'ledger' which in book keeping is where you record all the transactions and tick once the payment has been received which in turn can be verified in your bank account if the parents have paid by cheque or BAC?

Sorry to ask but I never hear any cm say anything they use a ledger just that they send invoices

k-tots
31-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I use a receipt book...copy for me copy for parent....need to get back in the habit of doing it for very week....not done it for a couple of months now :-(

tulip0803
31-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I use a small carbon copy receipt book that I use to invoice parents who pay weekly. I also have a A5 invoice carbon book for my monthly payer (just cos I couldn't fit all the days on one page of the receipt book). Top copy to parent, book for accounts.

Bluebell
31-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Most cms do invoices and either send them via email or print them for parents...how do you prove payments has been made?

does anyone have a 'fee book' or to use the appropriate name : a 'ledger' which in book keeping is where you record all the transactions and tick once the payment has been received which in turn can be verified in your bank account if the parents have paid by cheque or BAC?

Sorry to ask but I never hear any cm say anything they use a ledger just that they send invoices

I have a ledger - a monthly list with all the children's names on it and the amount owed on it then I have a column headed 'actual' so I tick that payment has been made and the actual amount is written in. I write the date is made and the date it covers (eg up to 31/12/13) if a monthly payment and just that days date if a weekly payment.
I have an actual column because sometimes someone will be pay me 2 weeks at a time or if the person is away then they only owe me for childminding hours not for dinner so payments may vary from what is expected - like wise if I do extra hours for them they will owe me more than has been predicted. It helps me know what I should be getting and easy enough to tot up the 'actual' payments at the end of the month too!

I never print off my invoices - it seems a waste of paper! (Also those that pay the exact same amount every week never get invoiced so not all customers would have an invoice) They are all on my computer should I need to refer to it but its my income that the tax man will be interested in and every payment is recorded on my payment sheet,( and also in a receipt book if its cash and on my bank account if its a bank payment) - I can then double check at the end of the year when I do my accounts that every payment has been accounted for.

Kiddleywinks
31-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I made up a spreadsheet, it has my expenses, and a page for each child's fees.
When a parent pays I enter the date they paid, the amount paid, and whether it's a cheque, bank, or cash payment
As most of my parents pay over 52 weeks, it also calculates the running total for me against fees due for care received and fees paid to date. Should a parent leave, I know how much fees are owed or due to be refunded.
At the end of the month I print off a receipt for parents showing their outstanding balance from the previous month, payments received, fees for the following month and the balance.
I have an up to date copy of the spreadsheet on my computer, on my removeable pen drive, and I also email myself a copy every couple of months and delete the previous email.

samb
31-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't have a "ledger" but good idea. I have on my actual books a spreadsheet which shows total amounts for each invoice, they link to the invoices which are itemised and I send receipts which states dates for payments- some parents pay 3 lots - 2 lots f vouchers and a bacs payment so I write that and dates received on the receipt - all electronic- no paper.

Kerry30
31-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Mine all pay monthly bar one parent. Print off 2 invoices. A copy for parent and a copy for my file. Works for me and parents. Its what works best for you.

bunyip
31-12-2013, 05:45 PM

My "ledger" is a series of pages within my accounts book, with payments cross-referenced to receipt number and invoice dates.