PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on term time children only...

Tahira Naqvi
28-12-2013, 09:48 PM
I would like to know how people work out fees for term time children only as at the moment I charge for the weeks they're with me then when it comes to holidays I don't charge the parents which means I don't get any income, also if parent is claiming childcare they are still getting paid for the holidays although I'm not charging them how would that work sorry if it's abit confusing.

Ella123
28-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I would like to know how people work out fees for term time children only as at the moment I charge for the weeks they're with me then when it comes to holidays I don't charge the parents which means I don't get any income, also if parent is claiming childcare they are still getting paid for the holidays although I'm not charging them how would that work sorry if it's abit confusing.

Hi there, I always charge half fees for the holidays, I think that's pretty standard.

Kiddleywinks
29-12-2013, 07:52 AM
If you charge half fees over school holidays, parent is paying for the space to be kept available, so you cannot then offer that childs space to a holidays only child, which could potentially earn you more as they generally require more hours per day.
Plus, if the TTO parent then asks you to have X in the holidays, you couldn't refuse as they're paying half fees for the space so would top up the fees for the additional days used.

You could charge a slightly higher hourly rate for a TTO space and then put some aside to cover your income drop in the holidays.

Alternatively, you could ask the parents to spread their fees out over 52 weeks (which is what tax credits do), which would mean you have less coming in each week, but you're still being paid over the holidays.
The problem with doing this is if a parent leaves before the 52 weeks is up they will possibly still have fees outstanding for care already provided and won't understand why if they've been paying you each week.
Any parents that pay me over 52 weeks is given an invoice each month which shows how much they are outstanding (should they decide to leave)

EG:
Fees are £100 per week x 39 term time weeks = £3900
£3900 divided by 52 weeks = £75 per week
A difference of £25 less per week for you

Month 1 TTO Should have received £400 Actually received £300 Outstanding £100
Month 2 TTO Should have received £400 Actually received £300 Outstanding £100
Month 3 TTO Should have received £400 Actually received £300 Outstanding £100
Month 4 Holiday weeks Should have received £0 actually received £300 Outstanding £0

Hope that helps

Tahira Naqvi
29-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi thanks for the advice the TTO children I have are all after school kids I would see parents getting rather funny if they had to pay for their child if the child wasn't attending my setting, not sure what to do

samb
30-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Mine are TTO too and I charge sessional rates for before and after school which is higher than hourly rate. I do offer ad hoc care in the holidays but no spaces are retained.

The Juggler
30-12-2013, 09:20 AM
i only ever charge for term times. you could charge a higher hourly rate maybe for TTO contracts. If parents are claiming childcare costs from anyone they should inform them they do NOT attend in the holidays and whether the childcarer charges or not, so they won't be claiming hours they don't pay for. If you charge a retainer then the person paying their childcare costs should include that cost too.

Tazmin68
30-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I have three children who I only charge term time only. I have two other children who attend school holidays only. Should a tto child want space during the holidays they need to advice me ASAP and it is still subject to me still having space available.
Everyone is aware of this and I remind parents to confirm any childcare for holidays about 4 weeks prior. I will be doing thus in about 3 weeks for feb half term.

Deb

Tahira Naqvi
31-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Thankyou to all replies well think I might have to advise parent claiming childcare to ring HM and make them aware she is not being charged for holidays.

Bluebell
01-01-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't charge for holidays as I like quieter time for my own children but tbh mostly all year round children and so only thing I really notice is the loss of income!

I think you can charge 50% and then book out space for other children. They are paying 50% to retain their TTO space - not because they have the right to have the space - if they want the right to have the space they should be paying full rate!!!

If it was likely they were going to want the space then maybe you be clear on why you charge 50% - ie I can't afford to keep a TTO space for you when I have an all year round space available. Then offer them first refusal for any extra days they might want. So if they come 3 days a week TTO they might want to come 1 day a week in holidays to keep childs routine a bit consistent. If that day was a booked day then you would know which days you could then book out for others.

I know a childminder who charges the TTO for holidays but if she manages to fill the space with a holiday child or another child having extra days she refunds the parent.

bunyip
01-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't charge for holidays as I like quieter time for my own children but tbh mostly all year round children and so only thing I really notice is the loss of income!

I think you can charge 50% and then book out space for other children. They are paying 50% to retain their TTO space - not because they have the right to have the space - if they want the right to have the space they should be paying full rate!!!

If it was likely they were going to want the space then maybe you be clear on why you charge 50% - ie I can't afford to keep a TTO space for you when I have an all year round space available. Then offer them first refusal for any extra days they might want. So if they come 3 days a week TTO they might want to come 1 day a week in holidays to keep childs routine a bit consistent. If that day was a booked day then you would know which days you could then book out for others.

I know a childminder who charges the TTO for holidays but if she manages to fill the space with a holiday child or another child having extra days she refunds the parent.

Hi Bluebell :waving:,

I don't charge TTO clients for school holidays for much the same reasons. I also find that I often have to take only 1 or 2 ad hoc bookings for the hols from TTO parents who want a day to themselves, and the extra hours quickly make up for the loss of a few school runs. :thumbsup:

Re: the bit I've highlighted in red type from your quote. I think CMs need to be careful about that.

Any charge on any contract or invoice needs to be for the provision of goods or services: and it must be clear what service is being provided. If they are "retaining" the space during the holidays, then I believe it has to be available for them to use during the holidays if they so wish. Which is why a CM shouldn't fill the space with another child or be away/closed whilst charging a retainer.

It would be neater (and less open to a legal challenge) to increase the fee for TTO care. I admit this is not without its drawbacks - due to the way parents scan ads for price (cheapest first, of course) when looking for care.

Bluebell
01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
yes you are right of course! if you did end up doing something like that you'd have to be really clear on that - and offer them first refusal on the place but have some kind of booking system so you know where you stand.
I don't charge for holidays but I think its fair enough to charge as it is such a big drop in income. I keep saying I'm not going to take TTO anymore or charge them for the space but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it!

Snowwhite
01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi. I have a term time only child and i charge half fee during each holiday because its way too much of a drop in income if i charged nothing throughout the hols. No parent has grumbled the half fee as its pretty much a standard thing with most CM's, and although it means a parent can choose to use you during a school holiday (with notice given) and pay full price,no one has yet with me,as i think most parents wont want to top up the fee to full when they are off work & can have their child.
I have always thought that if a parent get tax credits then they would still receive throughout school holidays,& we would loose money if we didn't charge,& that parent would gain.
Only 1 parent with me is on the same fee each month,so its spread out over the yr. I found this complicated to work out & needed some help (terrible at maths!) and its not ideal spreading the cost as you do loose out some mths & gain the next,but the mths you loose could be a month where you have a lot of things to pay for,such as birthdays etc. I choose to do same fee each mth with this 1 paticular parent cause she's been having a tough time with some very personal family issues,& i didnt want her to miss paying me once i had invoiced her,so by setting up a standard order for the same payment each mth & the same date,it means no missed payments.Can also work if u think a parent could be unrealiable with the fees.Personally though i like to stick with half fee during each schoo hol & full fee during term time