PDA

View Full Version : can you recomend famly games please?

Bluebell
27-12-2013, 10:07 PM
can anyone recommend some family board game type things? I always remember playing monopoly and trivial pursuit at family get together but my kids may be a little young. I'm thinking kids versions of pictionary, charades that kind of thing but have no experience of them - my kids are 7 and 9. Would love to hear what your family love to play.

shortstuff
27-12-2013, 10:11 PM
We still like twister n frustration n operation here x

loocyloo
27-12-2013, 10:25 PM
We like bananagrams ... But play our own rules ... a bit like scrabble.
We like lego creationary and I'm hoping to get everyone into monopoly ... saw a good one in an English heritage shop! My children are 8 & 11.
Oh
.. and we love cranium hullabaloo!

chriss
27-12-2013, 10:32 PM
junior monopoly...30 mins max and its fun n easy too. Frustration, pass the bomb, hang man, and basically for under 10s, a game that doesnt last more than an hour !!

MessybutHappy
27-12-2013, 10:39 PM
"Who am I", card games like old maid, families, and the memory one (forget what is called!) dominoes, pick up sticks (with mikado biscuits when camping!), blow football / frozen peas if we've lost the ping pong ball again, snakes and ladders, shut the box...plus all those mentioned above!

tulip0803
27-12-2013, 10:58 PM
My daughter loves cranium hullabaloo, junior monopoly, cluedo, game of life, operation, who am I?, Uno, top trumps - she has just turned 10

smurfette
28-12-2013, 12:41 AM
We played headbanz on Christmas Day., easy enough for your 7 year old but challenging for all ages ., bit like who am I? Lots of messing around joking and cheating!

My girls are 8,10 and 12 and we love monopoly, trying to get them into cluedo, frustration, mouse trap, card games like uno, and game of life., there is also a brill one called payday, look that one up its well loved!

dawn100
28-12-2013, 01:28 AM
My kids have got loads of board games but at Christmas my daughter got given snakes and ladders and I realised and couldnt quite believe it none of them had ever played it before and they love it! Sometimes the old traditional games are the best! They also love junior monopoly, uno, disney scene it.

sing-low
28-12-2013, 08:16 AM
My DH & I both bought games for our 8 & 10 year old this Christmas. Would recommend Palette and Where is Moldova?

The Juggler
28-12-2013, 12:31 PM
all the cranium games are fabby and charades is good if you keep it to ones the kids know. also junior monopoly.

FloraDora
28-12-2013, 04:13 PM
'Shut the box' - little ones can join in and oldies - with their own targets. We play our own rules depending on the mix of children/ people / alcohol consumed!

Tulip
28-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Scrabble and cludo :)

Tulip
28-12-2013, 06:36 PM
We played trivial pursuit the other day, I really enjoyed it, hadn't played it in years

Bluebell
28-12-2013, 10:12 PM
wow thanks for all the replies!! I haven't heard of half those games so I will be busy googling later!!

I went into town today and had a look but obviously not very popular round here as there was not much about and we only have 1 small toy shop and a smiths. I bought '20 questions for kids' as it was on offer and a pictionary card game that gives you pre-drawn cards that you can use together to make up a picture which is supposed to be good for younger ones. Not so sure now I've looked at the pictures though!
Some of the ones there were soooo expensive!

Reason I asked was cos I want to have family night on new years eve but also cos we've been playing 'guess who?' and my children have loved it but its only for 2 players not whole family!

I've also ordered a second hand 'trivial pursuit for kids' off e-bay as I always loved trivial pursuit although many of the questions were too hard for me!

I'll let you know how i get on with them and will have a look into all the ones you recommended too!

Zoomie
28-12-2013, 10:54 PM
A cheap pack of good old playing cards ... We love to gamble too ;)

FloraDora
29-12-2013, 08:33 AM
wow thanks for all the replies!! I haven't heard of half those games so I will be busy googling later!!

I went into town today and had a look but obviously not very popular round here as there was not much about and we only have 1 small toy shop and a smiths. I bought '20 questions for kids' as it was on offer and a pictionary card game that gives you pre-drawn cards that you can use together to make up a picture which is supposed to be good for younger ones. Not so sure now I've looked at the pictures though!

Reason I asked was cos I want to have family night on new years eve but also cos we've been playing 'guess who?' and my children have loved it but its only for 2 players not whole family!

I've also ordered a second hand 'trivial pursuit for kids' off e-bay as I always loved trivial pursuit although many of the questions were too hard for me!

I'll let you know how i get on with them and will have a look into all the ones you recommended too!

Shut the Box: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tobar-5038728008577-Shut-the-Box/dp/B000H6UQRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388305766&sr=8-2&keywords=shut+the+box)

£7 - good price.delivered by new year
Shut the box is great for family 'do's' as it can be a quick game.

Tulip
29-12-2013, 08:32 PM

In our trivial pursuit game there are questions for the under 14's and the over 14's. We all stuck to the under 14's questions :laughing: We got on a lot better that way!

Bluebell
29-12-2013, 09:55 PM
In our trivial pursuit game there are questions for the under 14's and the over 14's. We all stuck to the under 14's questions :laughing: We got on a lot better that way!

is that the family version?

yummyripples
30-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Pictureka is great fun