PDA

View Full Version : Childminding as a single mum

manchester mum
21-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I currently work part time and wish to start childminding full time . I was just wondering as a single mum of two children is possible to earn a living for childminding ?

Rick
21-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi

If you have two pre schoolers then you could only have one more (you can have 3 pre schoolers and three school children at any one time, your own children count in your numbers).

You can make money childminding especially as it don't have to pay for childcare for your own children. You do need some money to be able to start off your business for resources, safety equipment etc and the process can take anywhere between 4 and 12 months so no income from childminding in that time.

This thread may help you understand the process :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

manchester mum
21-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Thank :) my girls are both school age , I'm planning to carry on with my part time job until I'm up and running

Chatterbox Childcare
21-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes you can make money, even if you only have 1 under 5 and top it up with 3 at school between 5-8. Any over 8's don't include in your numbers but you must have the space.

It is all possible, lots of planning. Read through the Development Matters and it has it all in there.

Rick
21-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Thank :) my girls are both school age , I'm planning to carry on with my part time job until I'm up and running

Definitely possible to make money then as you have 3 pre school spaces and one further before/after school space

Kiddleywinks
22-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Absolutely is possible :clapping:

I'm a single mum, but with older children so they don't count in my numbers, but, when I started minding actual children (7 months after registering) I had 2 under 3 part timers and 1 after school.
I was bringing in a lot less than I had been working my old day job, but was earning more as I wasn't having to pay out for childcare myself. (I wasn't eligible for childcare tax credits as my employed earnings were too high)

That first earning year we had so many 'treats'! It was such a lovely feeling not having to keep saying no to my own children every time they wanted something! Simple things like going to the pictures, having a takeaway on a friday for tea, being able to have biscuits and crisps in our shopping trolley, and for me, being able to put petrol in the car and get out and about to see family and friends instead of them having to come to us coz I was skint ALL the time.

It can take a while to get started, so its good you have a part time job to rely on at the beginning, but for me, I wish I'd done it earlier!

manchester mum
22-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Been thinking about doing it for years but was worried about having it as a sole income as most childminders round here are married so have two incomes . Finally decided to go for it after struggling to get time off over Christmas and new year

Rick
22-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Been thinking about doing it for years but was worried about having it as a sole income as most childminders round here are married so have two incomes . Finally decided to go for it after struggling to get time off over Christmas and new year

Childminding is a very rewarding business but as with any self employed business it can be up and down and there are costs to start up your business. Having 3 early years spaces is a bonus though as you can have three paying children plus can be more flexible and accommodate parents' needs, particularly at the start.

watford wizz
22-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Although we do have 2 incomes my partner has had long periods of unpaid sickness. My income has had to cover paying for everything. It has made me much more focused and business like. You will need to have good strong policies and the commitment to impliment them. Keep everything business like and payments/work load realistic and up front. Wish you all the best, it's the best job in the world!!!

Lottie
22-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes absolutely. When my children were younger I decided to go into childminding. They are all growing up now and I am looking at changing career. It's been great financially and for flexibility.

Daisy De
22-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Very possible. I have been single for 13 years with child minding as my only income.

But .... I have had some scary moments over the years. Children leaving when it wasn't expected or reducing hours giving me sleepless nights wondering what to do and how I was going to pay the mortgage. It's the nature of the business but worse as their is no second income to back up the bad times. Something has always turned up for me though and when it's good it's very good :-)

Good luck

BeausBumbles
23-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I am a single mum with one 3 year old of my own. For me now it is perfect and I do fairly well money wise as I am full and get tax credits. The one thing to bare in mind is to have a contingency fund for if a child leaves- I had a child move out he area and one drop hours at the same time last year and it hit me really really hard.

manchester mum
26-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks talked to my girls about it and they think its a great idea . Booked in for a information night on the 20 th of jan can't wait

Kiddleywinks
27-12-2013, 10:12 AM
:clapping: Good luck :thumbsup:

supermumy
27-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm a single mum to 4 kids and cm
It's hard work and can get stressful but I wouldn't have it any other way as I'm there for my kids always and money wise we are ok :)

Lucy000
29-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I was a single mum of 3 children a few years ago, I had a job as an auxiliary nurse on 2 set days and the other 3 days I childminded. It was hard work believe me but meant that I only had to be away from my own kids 2 days per week if I worked from home the other days. It did bring in extra money and I also had a cleaner for a couple of hours a week just to help keep on top of things in the house.
Good luck
x

Tulip
29-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks talked to my girls about it and they think its a great idea . Booked in for a information night on the 20 th of jan can't wait

Good luck x

manchester mum
30-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you x