PDA

View Full Version : food safety inspection

Mrsh3103
20-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I had my inspection this morning. I got a 5 :) :)
While he was here he asked if I used the food waste bin provided by the council.
I said we did for a few weeks when they 1st came out but we've stopped because I find them very unhygienic and cats were knocking them over and trying to get the food out. Also the smell from the kitchen caddy even after just 1 day was horrendous.

He said good. I would have had to mark you down if you had been using the kitchen caddy as they are too unhygienic.

This is a man from the council. The same council who are insisting they are used in homes!!!

sing-low
20-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Well done on getting your five!

Worrying really about your council not all being on the same page (but not surprising really). I use an old ice cream tub for scraps and my inspector said to clean and spray with anti-bac regularly and that would be fine but they're all different (I'll probably get told something else next time!).

tulip0803
20-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on your 5:clapping:

I use a caddy but keep it in the utility room away from the kitchen, along with my bins. I use starch bags to help keep it in and it gets dishwashed everytime the bag is removed then anti-bac. They were happy with this. Due to parents sending packed lunches I change the bag every other day.

sarah707
20-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Well done! :clapping:

we don't have to recycle food scraps yet - in dp's area they have to put food loose in the green bin which I have always thought is a horrible thing to do with all the grass trimmings and stuff :panic:

hectors house
20-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Well done on getting a "5" - think I would get marked down if I had been inspected in December due to the amount of craft and art work drying on all the kitchen work tops all topped with the Xmas regulation amount of glitter!

We have a food caddy, but it is kept in a cupboard with the kitchen bin, it's lined with bio bags and not much goes in it as a) we try not to waste food, b) we have a compost bin in garden c) everything else is fed to chickens or dogs :D

Tulip
20-12-2013, 07:38 PM
You got a 5 :clapping: well done, thats super :)

cathtee
20-12-2013, 08:21 PM
well done on your 5, I must have been due for mine this month as I received a letter from council about it but they said as I was only a small buisiness I could just fill in a questionaire and that would be ok unless I didn't answer the questions right.

So far so good no response from them

Simona
22-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I had my inspection this morning. I got a 5 :) :)
While he was here he asked if I used the food waste bin provided by the council.
I said we did for a few weeks when they 1st came out but we've stopped because I find them very unhygienic and cats were knocking them over and trying to get the food out. Also the smell from the kitchen caddy even after just 1 day was horrendous.

He said good. I would have had to mark you down if you had been using the kitchen caddy as they are too unhygienic.

This is a man from the council. The same council who are insisting they are used in homes!!!

I have seen some really horrendous caddies being put out for collection but there is no need to call them unhygienic if people took a few precautions such as lining them with kitchen towel at the bottom and then using those recyclable bags inside
I have 2 and they are very clean ...they only get messy when the rubbish collectors arrive as they often tip them upside down !!!:angry: and then throw them back in my front garden so they break as they land on the paving :mad:

hectors house
23-12-2013, 07:41 AM
well done on your 5, I must have been due for mine this month as I received a letter from council about it but they said as I was only a small buisiness I could just fill in a questionaire and that would be ok unless I didn't answer the questions right.

So far so good no response from them

I just had a telephone interview, then they rang again several years later and just said "has anything changed since we last spoke?" I said "No" (I couldn't remember what they asked me anyway the previous time) and he said "that's fine"! It does mean though that I haven't got a food rating but doesn't really bother me.

Simona
23-12-2013, 08:30 AM
I just had a telephone interview, then they rang again several years later and just said "has anything changed since we last spoke?" I said "No" (I couldn't remember what they asked me anyway the previous time) and he said "that's fine"! It does mean though that I haven't got a food rating but doesn't really bother me.

I believe this is the way it works in most LAs (must be the only issue that has a touch of universality in its approach) ..after the initial visit/grading it is just a letter that gets sent and, if nothing has changed, your registration carries on