PDA

View Full Version : 'babysitting' or childminding overmight?

Bluebell
19-12-2013, 07:38 PM
someones posted on a local sale site advertising herself as a babysitter for new years eve BUT she's advertising for 5 children and already has 2 children of her own!
What do you think? One person has commented saying its not such a great idea and they've ripped the poor woman to shreds as the woman is obviously well known and well liked. after all the hoops we have to jump through and limited number it just seems to be taking the mick a bit

Rachael B***** ITEMS FOR SALE IN *****
***Hi my name is Rachael and I have decided to babysit on new years eve at my house. I have space for 4 children and 1 from 6months. Im nvq level 2 qualified in childcare and have 2 children of my own for more information please pm me***

Chatterbox Childcare
20-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Personally I wouldn't want to do it and there will be parents who want to go out but I don't think that the lady will get much work - I could be wrong

My thinking is who would want to leave their children in an unknown environment with unknown people? How dangerous

munch149
20-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Also if she isn't a childminder isn't tho illegal to do in own home

Mouse
20-12-2013, 10:18 AM
It depends what time she is planning to offer care for. She doesn't need to be registered if she only offers care between 6pm-2am.

The rule also used to be that you didn't have to register if you offered care for less than 14 days a year, although that may have changed now.

dawn100
20-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Taken from the ofsted registration not required
You do not have to register with us in the following cases:
If you only provide care between 6pm and 2am on domestic premises (babysitting arrangements). Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home.

So if she fits in with that she's not doing anything illegal and she could do it on a regular basis if she liked. Which does seem a bit unfair when cm's and assistants have to have peadiatric first aid but someone could reguarly offer evening care with no first aid training but that's the rules.
I wouldn't want to leave my child with someone I didn't know but am sure there are people who would be more focused on a night out than the person who was caring for their child.

Bluebell
20-12-2013, 10:26 AM
thanks - I thought it was illegal too but now realise from what you've said its probably allowed. I would be more worried about who else was going to be in the house? Are they DBS checked? what would happen in an emergency?, what happens if the parents turn up to collect their children and are drunk? Is she first aid trained if one chokes on a sweet? lots of things that we all think about automatically but may have been overlooked.
to be fair although she has advertised on a local for sale site the people asking for her are people that seem to know her well.

shortstuff
20-12-2013, 01:28 PM
sounds like your head is in the right place but unfortunately we have all come across parents who dont care as long as they get their night out x