PDA

View Full Version : Granny collecting inappropriate car seat wwyd?

TooEarlyForGin?
19-12-2013, 08:00 AM
A grandparent collected one my of LO's yesterday, as a one off, although I know she looks after LO 1 day a week. As the LO was asleep I helped her to the car with bags and bits and she put her in a high backed booster using the seatbelt. It was one of those things I only thought about as she left as the LO is only 2 and not particularly big.

Should I have said something? Or should I, knowing that Granny has her each week and possibly runs her around a bit.

munch149
19-12-2013, 08:04 AM
I would have said something. If it was a one off emergency (I forgot the other seat) scenario then fine but if she is always using this she may not know that it is not suitable

Chatterbox Childcare
19-12-2013, 08:43 AM
These seats are designed for 4 year olds upwards. I would get some leaflets and give it out to all your parents and that way it doesn't look like you are singling one out.

EmmaReed84
19-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I would perhaps print off some information about the correct cars and the guidance. I would also give it to Mum and just mention in a casual way that it wasn't until Granny left, that you realised she was in the wrong seat.

This happened to MIL and one of her mindees, although it was LO's Dad who had her in the wrong seat and she was 3! MIL was confused and asked me to clarify the age and had she missed something. She then handed the leaflet over to Dad who then put the straps back on the seat... Turned out he hated doing up the harnesses and it was easier just to do the seat belt, plus I don't think he was too aware about all the laws surrounding car seats! He was a bit embarrassed!

k-tots
19-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I have a 3y mindee...who is smaller than my 2 1/2 ds and when nanny picks up its always just a booster seat.....I always mention it to both mum and nanny but still dont take note...mum doesn't drive and only uses the seat when needed...think because its small its easy to carry round etc....my own dd6 has a high back booster and all children have a five point harness seat...baby is 11m and still goes in a carry rear facing but in a front facing when goes in nanny's car

munch149
19-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Parents quite often jump from rear facing to forward facing too soon but in my opinion it's more of a leap from a toddler car seat to just a booster.

TooEarlyForGin?
19-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks

Should go with my instinct, I think I will do what Chatterbox mentioned as I am aware that several grandparents pick up and don't know what they have in their cars, so it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a reminder for everyone.

x

muffins
20-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Its really not a great idea to carry 2yr olds in high back boosters but before you do anything it might be best to weigh the child just to make sure! I have 2 Lo's who have just turned 3 last month and they have both been over the 15kg for some time, if your Lo is more than 15kg they aren't actually doing anything wrong.

BTW I don't put the 2 Lo's above in high back booster, I keep them in harnesses until they reach 18kg:thumbsup:

FloraDora
20-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I really don't think lots of people know the new(ish) regulations!

I took two close friends children to a performance recently on the train because we didn't have suitable boosters for our car- the parents met us at the train station and neither were in a booster seat. They are definitely under the weight and size and need a booster- great parents - just don't know they are not being safe .