PDA

View Full Version : conjunctivitis advise please

Emmalou77
17-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a minded child that has conjunctivitis, I told parents as long as he has had eye drops administered for at least 24 hours then he can attend. Having said this I now realise I may not be able to attend the groups. I just wondered what other minders would do in this situation, attend groups or stay home?

The Juggler
17-12-2013, 10:30 PM
if you've said yes then I guess there's not much you could do. personally I wouldn't. I accepted a child once (age 7) and it went through my whole family. As it's xmas time I'd stay home and make sure everyone is very vigilant with handwashing

Koala
17-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't think it's fair to subject others to a possible contamination even though it obviously doesn't bother the parents. A lot of people would accept the child like you have and I would if eyes had been treated and were clear - otherwise not. But in any case as child is coming to you it really is up to you as to whether you think lo is ok to mix with others and ask yourself - would you be happy if another child was introduced to your child with conjunctivitis and a possibility of catching it? If eyes are clear I don't see a problem but otherwise I would say stay at home and contain/control the situation.

hectors house
18-12-2013, 07:42 AM
I accept them with conjunctivitis as long as I don't have to sit on them to put drops in - as one mum once demonstrated to me! I probably go over the top with hygiene - using anti bac spray throughout the day on toys touched, everyone washing hands every hour and using anti bac gel in between, especially if I see them rubbing their eyes, everyone has own towel anyway - have never had a member of my family or another mindee catch it.

If the childs eyes don't look too red or have yellow gunk in them I would still go to groups and just use anti bac gel on that child regularly.

Glitter
18-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Conjunctivitis can be because someone is allergic to something, and by virus so anti-bac might not help. I would do as others have said and make sure everyone is washing hands properly.

I would be tempted to wear swimming goggles for the day (and have an under the sea day) to stop it myself catching it.:)