PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance?

smurfette
17-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Would u book a baby in? Depending on a space being available which it will be, I have a mum looking for a space from march/April., is jt too early to take deposit ? It's a total mess really, my 'jigsaw' of carefully placed part
Timers has fallen apart! I have a Monday space from now, a Thursday also from April and poss a tues / wed from June.. Dh says I should try and fill a four day space now and give notice to my tues / wed baby.. The thurs one isn't such an issue as they have lots of family help, and I won't be able to accommodate the younger sibling when born because of silly hours so it's coming to an end anyway. The tues / wed one is on a permanent contract with me but dad is only on a temp contract has been renewed
For another six months, and obv he is looking for another job but....

Don't know what to do!!! The mum who is interested wants really three days (m,t, w) but only part time some of the days and we have discussed retainer. However obv would be nicer to fill all days and if I got a four day a week contract I would have one on a three day week and two on a four day week and if one left it wouldn't be such a mess as it is now with half days available !

Please advise! Business usually good around here but quiet at mo suppose with Christmas have my ads up tho

smurfette
17-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Just to say wouldn't normally consider giving notice like this but the tues / wed baby was taken on to fit around the other ones who are leaving So now taking up a full time space and we really need the money. Feel horrible even considering it

smurfette
17-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Never mind

christine e
18-12-2013, 06:50 AM
When I first started childminding (over 20 years ago) I would not even consider part timers but times have changed and more parents are working part time and I now only have one full timer (started with her older brother before she was born and he only came one day a week). Now it is a jigsaw working around fitting everyone in. Personally I would never give notice to anyone to free up days for someone else - I think it is really unprofessional but I am sure there are others who would.

charlottenash
18-12-2013, 08:32 AM
MurphF I have just given notice because the hours were atrocious I don't have anyone taking that space yet, but I couldn't handle the 2 hours here, 3 hours scenario and explained it wasn't working for me and was making me not want to get out of bed in the morning. Do what you have to xx

JCrakers
18-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I think it all depends on your situation. Although its not the 'correct' thing to do, if you are struggling for money then you need to do something about it. Bills have to be paid, otherwise you'll be in a worse position and the stress that comes with it means you'll be no good to anyone.
Although we all love our JOBS (which is what it is) and we have the decisions of putting children needs before our own, when bills need to be paid, then they need to be paid. There's no use in working and not getting enough money to keep ourselves financially safe.

Its all business sense isn't it. Your financial position has to come somewhere in the equation. Obviously the childrens needs come into it as well so its difficult balancing the two but if you need the money then I would do whatever needs to be done :thumbsup:

smurfette
18-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys really don't know what to do.. I have had a lovely chat last night with a mum who needs Monday to Thursday exactly the days I will have but not all until June.. She can hold out Til end January. Lo sounds perfect on paper and like she would fit well, and the hours are what I want. I want to up my fees and she was happy with the rate I quoted and wants to meet me. It would mean giving notice to the little one leaving in April (though they won't be stuck and I would be prepared to keep her on on the Fridays in the meantime which is when they are stuck) but also my little one whose dads job ends in June although she is on a permanent contract with me, but if dad loses his job she will be gone they are a young couple and struggling a bit money wise I think. Do u think it would be worth being honest with mum and asking what will their plan be for child care if dad does lose job and explain my predicament? I really don't think that they are in a position to up their days to four as both sets of parents help out and one set close their shop to help one day a week so I imagine they are strapped

unalindura77
18-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi there

Not very experienced but I'd say, your circumstances have now changed due to people leaving so you could explain that and go for the 4 days a week. You're not doing it just because it's more money and stability for you, but actually because you NEED the money and stability. It's no longer sustainable for you. If you are going to do it, just give as much notice as possible and explain your circumstances have changed and you're not earning enough.

All the best, it's a very difficult position to be in!

jackie 7
18-12-2013, 10:52 AM
I would bd honest. They should understand the situation in Dublin work wise. A also warn them you will have to In crease your fees. How many under 5's are you allowed?

jackie 7
18-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Also take a deposit from the new mum if you take her on.

bunyip
18-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I've never been in the situation of having to contemplate giving notice to free a space. I'd like to think it's something I wouldn't do, but I can't be sure - and I'd certainly not think ill of a fellow-CM who did it.

From a purely practical point of view, my only advice would be to be realistic about the situation and don't idealise about some future 'perfect fit'.

I think we all know how temporary many arrangements can turn out to be and how quickly things can change. No sooner do we seem to have a good fit of part-timers than something goes and scr3ws the whole thing up.

It's a fact of modern working life that 2 parents in full time work, no other family support, and therefore wanting a full time CM is becoming less and less the norm. I think we have to accept that a rapidly-increasing proportion of clients want part-time or flexible arrangements. Also these arrangements can change or end very suddenly as our clients get mucked around by their employers (which is why, in the bigger picture, late capitalism actually needs a pool of unemployed labour to draw upon, thus suppressing wages, workers' rights, etc. etc.).

I think we often have to play with the cards we're dealt. Don't fantasise about a queue of ful-time clients (if only - I wish) or a perfect 'jigsaw' of interlocking part-timers that will stay the course.

This might mean sometimes giving notice: 'bumping' a client who has only a few hours in order to clear the way for a more viable proposition. But that viable proposition comes with no guarantees of permanence. Indeed, it may be more worthwhile, given the work patterns I've described, to be the CM with a reputation for loyalty, reliability, and keeping hold of all the little 'bits and pieces' contracts, if this makes for a 'unique selling point' or market advantage over other CMs who keep searching for that ideal client mix.

I've not really answered the question. Just hope I've put a helpful new light on it??? :huh:

hectors house
18-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm a great believer in "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" and "better the devil you know", all 7 of my mindees are part time and somehow it does just fit into a puzzle, I only had a Friday space available and a friend of a mindees parent could be flexible and do any day, then a Wednesday became free and I offered it existing parents and the new Friday one wanted a Wednesday too.

I do insist on a 7 hour minimum day this cuts out any real part timers as I don't mind missing out an a couple of hours a days money but can't fill half day spaces - maybe you could introduce something similar to stop people just using part of a whole day space.

If the parents you currently have are nice, honest, polite, pay up on time and you get on with the children I would stick with them - I once had 2 mothers come to see me on the same day, the first one was polite but uni student and didn't really know what she wanted, the next one was a hot shot business women who insisted that she was better option as she wanted place immediately - against my judgement I took on the 2nd child, both parents were a pain and regularly used the "other person has the cheque book" not paying on time excuse.

smurfette
18-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Good advice there hectors house and bunyip.. As always! I just feel and so does dh that I spend a lot of time trying to make people fit around each other and interviewing but I suppose that is also how the game goes! My tues / wed child is a dote and mum is lovely, bit worried cos was late paid a couple of weeks ago and he was meant to have done it and hadn't, she was mad at him and made several comments which made me think all isn't well in the garden. Not sure how that will go. But as you say hh better a bird in the hand.! And new parents could be a nightmare! I suppose the problem is this

Now I have a Monday space available
In April will also have a thurs space available
In June could then have tues / wed

So it's tricky to fill it that way and I am afraid to turn away business and be left with nothing.. I have also been stung before by parents who I fitted a child around to suit their wants of three days one week and five the next , and then tjey left shortly after leaving me with the bitty contract I had taken on to help them! So I am reluctant this time not to look after me and my family (and a year ago would have said I would never do this) because as uou say things change and then I have turned away work .. Then maybe ce Sara Sara! Grrr my head is melted !

smurfette
19-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys for advice , I have thought long and hard and decided I am well off where I am with the existing parent (who does appreciate me, bought me a spa voucher which has prob helped swing it :) and said how much she appreciates me) .. Emailed prospective parent
And said I can do Monday and thurs for now if any good to them, and tues / wed may come up in June but no guarantee. She has said she will see if she can cover tues / wed and will come back to me if so, I am happy enough., was feeling guilty about giving notice and now relieved, if it's meant to be will fall into place if not I have time to fill the space before April