PDA

View Full Version : Just me????

lizduncan72
17-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Just had a 13 month old dropped off sucking a hard boiled sweet type lolly!!!!! Is it just me that thinks this is inappropriate?? Her three year old brother had one too-both were removed as soon as dad left! Little one is in a pretty party dress ready for our toddler group party and is now all sticky :(

munch149
17-12-2013, 08:38 AM
That's a bit young. My 20 month old has probably had two and it freaks me out every time. Both given by others and I'm moaned at by family members for being a paranoid parent if I complain. Definitely wouldn't allow in my setting tho as children are often running around. It choking that freaks me out not the sugar

dawn100
17-12-2013, 09:50 AM
My dd choked on one - silent choking not being able to breath. She had been given one at a party and she was older than 13mths, before I had chance to react someone else at the party was slapping her on the back- lollipop came flying out.
Was the most terrifying thing, so I would of removed in front of parents. I reguarly take things off at drop off time one child always turns up with a toy sometimes one thats a choking risk it always gets taken straight off by me and put in their bag, the other day they turned up with sweets so I took them off child and put in bag.

Maza
17-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I hate them, they should be banned. I have heard a few horror stories about choking. I stopped going to one particular hairdressers because they always gave the children one of those. Hideous for teeth too, and I'm far from a health freak!

bunyip
17-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Somehow, our children contrive to come out of school every single day with lollipops, sweets, etc. (usually the ubiquitous Haribo mix.)

When questioned on their healthy eating policy, school just shrug and say that parents send sweets to give out for their little darlings' birthday.

Whilst I can see how these mindless mums feel sufficiently socially insecure to get drawn into yet another keeping-up-with-Joneses racket based on moral blackmail, I cannot for the life of me figure out the maths surrounding this phenomenon.

Based on class size and number of days in the school year, this means every child in the school must have more than six birthdays a year. :panic:

What is more, no 2 children within any given class share the same birthday (despite the presence of twins) and no child's birthday ever falls in the school holidays or on a weekend. :confused:

Maza
17-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Somehow, our children contrive to come out of school every single day with lollipops, sweets, etc. (usually the ubiquitous Haribo mix.)

When questioned on their healthy eating policy, school just shrug and say that parents send sweets to give out for their little darlings' birthday.

Whilst I can see how these mindless mums feel sufficiently socially insecure to get drawn into yet another keeping-up-with-Joneses racket based on moral blackmail, I cannot for the life of me figure out the maths surrounding this phenomenon.

Based on class size and number of days in the school year, this means every child in the school must have more than six birthdays a year. :panic:

What is more, no 2 children within any given class share the same birthday (despite the presence of twins) and no child's birthday ever falls in the school holidays or on a weekend. :confused:

One school I worked at asked parents to adhere to the healthy eating policy after so many parents complained that the amount of sweets given out really was getting beyond the joke. They were actually great about it. One mum brought in a big punnet of strawberries and the children each took a strawberry as they were leaving (and loved it), another went to the £ shop and got a multi pack of cute note books to give out, another got some stickers etc etc. I know children are allowed sweets and it is all about balance, but it was getting out of hand (and I was eating all the left overs)!

FloraDora
17-12-2013, 04:25 PM
When the Healthy Schools programme first came in parents at my old school suggested a class book as a birthday treat for children in class - an inexpensive one , usually chosen by child who loved talking about it in the morning - and reading it and sharing it throughout the day - we made a special template saying who donated it on their birthday and at the end of the year it went in to the school library. It added to the importance and specialness of the day to the child and helped encourage reading at the same time.

mrstom
18-12-2013, 06:54 AM
When the Healthy Schools programme first came in parents at my old school suggested a class book as a birthday treat for children in class - an inexpensive one , usually chosen by child who loved talking about it in the morning - and reading it and sharing it throughout the day - we made a special template saying who donated it on their birthday and at the end of the year it went in to the school library. It added to the importance and specialness of the day to the child and helped encourage reading at the same time.

That is a really nice idea x

k1rstie
18-12-2013, 07:03 AM
I have been known to send in little packs of raisins for my kids birthdays. The horrified looks on the other kids faces when they came out!!

Haribo's contain gelatine, so cannot be eaten by one or two children in my daughters class. When I have sent these in ( after begging to be normal from my daughter), I have also sent in a non gelatine alternative. Morrisons recently sold halal haribo type sweets in a tub.

yummyripples
18-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I quite like it when the kids get treats for children's birthdays, I remember how exciting it was when I was a child. I think the healthy eating policy can be a bit ott sometimes.
However, I have had lollies banned from school. One of my minded children was given one and I wouldn't allow her to have it. My friends son nearly died from inhaling one.
School were brilliant and agreed with me so now they can't send them in.
I don't think a lot of parents realise how bad they can be. I must admit I didn't until I experienced it.
I have since heard some horror stories and can't believe that they are allowed to be sold at all

charlottenash
18-12-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm going to get jumped on here, but REALLY!

So your children get a pack of haribo every few weeks. They are at least 4 years old if at school so should understand 'everything in proportion' by now.

Some kids walk out and immediately eat there sweets, my DS hands then to me 'I'll have them after dinner if I'm not full'

What's the harm in that?

Lollipops are a no for after school but my DS has them, again he knows we sit at the table nicely with them not run out of the school gates sucking one falling onto our faces. He also knows to tell me if it comes off the stick whole and spit it out onto table.

For me it's teaching them how and when to eat them.

maisiemog
18-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't see the problem in being given sweets. I won't let them eat them with me though. Mum and dad decide when they are given them. Mostly because I won't have one of them eating sweets when the others aren't eating them.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-12-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't see any problems with sweets but in moderation. Mine have a lolly pop after dinner or to take home maybe once every couple of months but when eating them they are taught to sit at the table

HOWEVER - they wouldn't have them for breakfast and I suspect it was dads way of getting them in the car

AdeleMarie88
18-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Absolutely not for breakfast, as previous post said it was likely used as bribery to get in the car (not that that's ok either)

I don't let children have lollies here, only because some parents are against them so in the interest of fairness no one has them. We do do a lot of baking where we make cakes, biscuits and puddings which they do eat, but parents limit it to one small piece after dinner.

I often think if you make something off limits, it only makes it more desirable and tempting. It's important to encourage everything in moderation! X

bunyip
18-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm going to get jumped on here, but REALLY!

So your children get a pack of haribo every few weeks. They are at least 4 years old if at school so should understand 'everything in proportion' by now.

Some kids walk out and immediately eat there sweets, my DS hands then to me 'I'll have them after dinner if I'm not full'

What's the harm in that?

Lollipops are a no for after school but my DS has them, again he knows we sit at the table nicely with them not run out of the school gates sucking one falling onto our faces. He also knows to tell me if it comes off the stick whole and spit it out onto table.

For me it's teaching them how and when to eat them.

Hi Charlotte, :waving:

For the most part, I believe you're right. There is no problem with sweets in moderation, and I'd have no issue with this if it really was just "a pack of Haribo every few weeks." My gripe is about my situation: my grandchildren and my mindees at my local school. Please don't think I'm jumping on you: but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on my school.

IME children at the school get a ridiculous amount of sweets (beyond what could be described as "moderation") most days. I think a lot of this is down to parents who feel they won't be outdone by others appearing more generous, in the same way as each birthday party has to be bigger, brighter and more expensive than the last child's. It's all part of the parental ego-driven "celebration inflation" phenomenon.

It creates arguments nearly every evening. I pick up children from different classes. Some have more sweets, some have fewer, some have none. Some have mums who don't want them to eat theirs until they get home; some say "mummy always lets me"; some are bright enough to open them in class, and are well into the various packets/items, leaving me very little room to say "no" to the others and still be seen to be fair and consistent.

The school's much-trumpeted healthy eating policy is blown out of the water when it comes to dishing out sweets sent in by parents. On the one hand, all nut products are banned from all lunchboxes (though oddly not from the sub-contracted catering firm that runs the re-heated lunches racket). OTOH sweets are given to the whole class on the basis of 'fairness' - so fair that my diabetic erstwhile mindee was (and to the best of my knowledge still is) given sweets. :mad:

In contrast, the school throws away a lot of perfectly good fruit each day. Fruit is available for purchase at break times. Any unsold fruit is thrown out at the end of the day; school claims they have to do this cos it doesn't have a use-by date on it. :panic: I only discovered this when, whilst helping with the school garden, I opened a compost bin full of fruit (which, as aside, makes a very poor compost balance) and swarming with flies. On asking where it had all come from, I was shocked to hear the explanation. I asked why it couldn't be given out at the end of the day, only to be told that would be unfair on children who had paid for their snack during the day.

Whence common sense, eh? :p

lizduncan72
18-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't see any problems with sweets but in moderation. Mine have a lolly pop after dinner or to take home maybe once every couple of months but when eating them they are taught to sit at the table

HOWEVER - they wouldn't have them for breakfast and I suspect it was dads way of getting them in the car

That's exactly why they had them!!! I asked the older one if it was mummy or daddy that gave them the lollies and he said that daddy gave them to them for going in the car!!